After you have connected for the first time to 4D (See Getting started or use the Click to play option), you will have to go through some steps to create your new character.
- By what name do you wish to be known?
Type in the name of your character and press enter.
Keep in mind that the name should be corresponding with one of our four dimensions: Future, Medieval, Prehistoric, Old West.
- Did I get that right, 'NewCharacter' (Y/N)?
Just answer yes and enter to continue. If you type no, you'll be given the option to choose another Charactername.
- Give me a password for 'NewCharacter':
Type in a password that is easy to remember for you and that other people won't be able to guess.
- Please retype password:
Retype your password to make sure it's the password you had in mind the first time.
- Does your mudclient support colour (Y/N)?
Most clients probably support colour and so does 4D but sparingly so choose yes for colour, or no if you'd prefer none.
- Please select from the following:
1 - I am new to mudding.
2 - I am familiar with mudding, but new to 4Dimensions.
3 - I am an old hand at 4Dimensions. This is just to let some people in the mud know if they need to pay extra attention to new players and if you already have knowledge of mudding or not. This is something only the Immortals, Heroes and Helpers can see if they type who in game.
- What is your sex Male or Female? Will your character be male or female? Just type whatever you want to be and press enter.
- Select a class (more info given): Caster
There are 8 classes ingame (Priest, Thief, Warrior, Mage, Hunter, Ranger, Gypsy, Esper), but to get a feeling before you choose your definate class, you can choose if you'd like to start as Caster, Fighter or Rogue. Later on in the game before you get to level twenty, you'll be asked to choose your definate class.
For now just type what you want to play, a caster, a fighter or a rogue. If you've selected one you'll get some more information and you will have the possibility to change it in the next step if you wish to play another class afteral. More info about the classes can be found here.
- Are you sure you want to be a 'selected class'? Just type yes or no. If you typed no, you'll end up with the previous step again.
- Select a Race (More info given): Faun, Centaur, Elf, Dwarf, Indian, Gringo, Martian, Space-wolf. Selected the race you want to play and click enter. After you've done that, you'll see some more information about the race you have chosen. More info about the races can be found here.
- Are you sure you want 'selected Race'? Just type yes or no. If you typed no, you'll end up with the previous step again and you can pick a new race.
- What is your email address? Feel free to type in a working email address. This is not an obligation, if you prefer to give no email address, just type none. Only Immortals can see this if they want to.
- Press enter or return again.
- Then you'll see a little menu, you can look at later. For now just press 1 and you'll end up in our greeting room and you can start playing the game.
In case you have more questions during game play you can always ask them over the newbie channel. Just type newbie followed by your question and someone will try to answer if they can.