Author Topic: Moving of skills/spells to cater to GM's  (Read 18238 times)

Offline Grish

• View Profile
Moving of skills/spells to cater to GM's
« on: July 31, 2008, 03:07:06 pm »
I strongly disagree with the latest moving of brace and parry in order to tweak GM's. IMO this is a crappy way to make adjustments to GM. The end focus of the game is to get GM, and not have the game made more difficult on the way as you make end game class balancing to GMs. Its not fair to those of us who arent GMs to have bread and butter skills ripped away as we fight to level and get those precious remorts.

I recently remorted to hunter from warrior, and at tier 2 level 35, the only thing I still have with me is from warrior that is note worthy is grip. Thats a pretty damn harsh change to take a tier one skill all the way to tier 3.

Im sure with a little coding you could just make some skills anti GM so you could maintain class balance and unless that GM actually is a class, or was a class that had the skills (or others you want to move around) and remorted it would not be an issue.

This would not only fix the issue I have with this specific change, but it could open doors to maybe let some of those tier 3 skills trickle down into tier 2 and balance things out a bit.

It is my experience thus far that every class sucks until tier 3 with the exception of priest which rocked pretty good right out of the gates.

Another idea would be a customizable GM system which allows GMs to have a certain amount of points to spend in certain trees, and by purchasing some skills it would make gaining others impossible. This would take a lot of changing, but an idea.

So, please take time to consider all the people in the middle of the game, and not just the ones at the end.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Moving of skills/spells to cater to GM's
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:16:31 am »
GM is not the end focus of this game.

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 02:33:33 am »
Hehe Virisin I would think most players would disagree with that but to each his or her own.

Prometheus.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 10:33:43 am »
GM is not the end focus of this game.

If not GM than what is the "end focus" of this game?

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 04:38:31 pm »
Oh god I told Mord this would occur..

If the common opinion really is that GM is the endpoint to the game then 4d truly is lost.

Offline Grish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 05:02:14 pm »
Don't get me wrong, 4d has a rich environment of questing, features and fun stuff. However, while you enjoy these things, you generally are gaining XP, new fancy gear to help you get XP faster, and leveling through the classes getting your mastery bonuses, also helping you advance quicker and survive longer.

That being said, even once you are a GM there is still a lot of the game to enjoy. BUT, if the end point wasnt to be GM why waste the time questing and grinding when you can just sit around idle.

Correct me if I am wrong, but why is it you rarely see the older folks doing anything? Is it because the have completed the quests, made their money, and really dont see a lot of reason to remort or continue leveling?

As all you GMs read this, try to tell me you werent more active while you were like me, with a few remorts under your belt and a ton more game to see on your way to achieving GM. I rarely actually see any of the GMs actually doing anything other than idling.

I dont know, either way you want to look at it I dont think balancing the game around GMs by taking away bread and butter skills of any class and just making it a T3 level 1 skill a fix. Like I said, it would be better balance to let some of those t3 skills trickle down a bit into tier 2 allowing for better balanced classes then taking everything away.

I mean, hell while you are at it we could just make all the non passive skills tier 3 and get it over with, because thats almost what it feels like. Luckily as a hunter I got cure critic now to heal the excessive ass kicking I have been taking.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 10:23:50 pm »
Exactly.

All the GM's these days stop playing after having barely dabbled in the actual game. Or if they have, it's over MSN where they solve all the quests the 'new' way.

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 04:38:32 am »
Viri, try not to generalize :)

I've done most of the quests after I GMed, because I'm a lazy person, and dislike to carry potions and such on me.

I would think the main purpose in 4D would be to fully explore every zone and complete every quest ; otherwise, it would just be like any other mud, grinding to hit maximum level. The tokens and equip are just bonuses :)

It's true that I idle about in recall these days, but I have a somewhat hectic schedule these days, so I have less time to MUD.

However, I think what the mud needs is to overcome its inertia of having few new players. Players come in, and either stay in the MUD, or leave, due to frustration of completing some quests. We can help yes, but only limited to questing techniques and referring to room descs. As such, we gain very few players. Now..if we had many new players coming on together at the same time, with a greater number of them staying *as well* (at least, for a short period of time), this in turn could make more players stay on in 4D and continue on questing, due to the perceived idea of the majority in the same boat (ie, haven't solved any of the quests).

Iwku, Grish, Knecht are examples of players (in my opinion), who haven't hit GM yet, but still continue on questing, and I believe that none of them solve any quests in the 'new' way.

Oh and..warrior (after the changes), looks like the worst class (for T1-T2s) at least, with lack of any helpful (unique) skills at T1 and T2.

Offline Grish

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 07:57:23 am »
Let me just further make Erwins point:

Tier: 0 - Lev: 25 - Skill or Spell: 'firearm'
Tier: 1 - Lev:  1 - Skill or Spell: 'melee'
Tier: 1 - Lev:  2 - Skill or Spell: 'kick'
Tier: 1 - Lev:  2 - Skill or Spell: 'mount'
Tier: 1 - Lev:  3 - Skill or Spell: 'riding'
Tier: 1 - Lev:  5 - Skill or Spell: 'hand-to-hand'
Tier: 1 - Lev: 12 - Skill or Spell: 'sling'
Tier: 1 - Lev: 12 - Skill or Spell: 'push'
Tier: 1 - Lev: 20 - Skill or Spell: 'crossbow'
Tier: 1 - Lev: 22 - Skill or Spell: 'throw'
Tier: 1 - Lev: 24 - Skill or Spell: 'tame'
Tier: 1 - Lev: 24 - Skill or Spell: 'drunk'
Tier: 1 - Lev: 27 - Skill or Spell: 'rescue'
Tier: 1 - Lev: 27 - Skill or Spell: 'dual'
Tier: 1 - Lev: 45 - Skill or Spell: 'bash'
Tier: 1 - Lev: 49 - Skill or Spell: 'grip'
Tier: 2 - Lev:  9 - Skill or Spell: 'disarm'
Tier: 2 - Lev: 12 - Skill or Spell: 'retreat'
Tier: 2 - Lev: 14 - Skill or Spell: 'mounted combat'
Tier: 2 - Lev: 30 - Skill or Spell: 'meditate'\

And TY Erwin for having faith in me doing things the classic ways, you have sat in on a few of my rants and raves while I struggle to complete quests, and you are correct in the means in which you helped me. You often suggested I try to use a certain technique, or told me zones which dont have the mazes and things like that to attempt. Because of your general direction I have completed a few quests which otherwise I might not have tried (RIP in particular).

I like Knecht to, we gotta keep him around.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 12:35:56 am »
There is a flaw in the general skills/spells distribution. But you have kick, you should be fine.

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 06:11:09 am »
Then, what makes warrior unique compared to say, hunter or ranger? They have kick too. (+ other buffs at T1/T2)

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 04:02:49 am »
Nothing. I said there was a flaw..

Offline Grish

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 09:24:33 am »
Which is what my point was in the begining, the flaw isnt in what skills the classes get, its the fact that to "fix" gms you just push them all to later tiers. Hence, why I made this post to address the issue and perhaps get something done about it.

There has got to be a semi easy snippet of code which will restrict certain skills and spells from the GM unless it is their primary class.

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 10:17:21 am »
Why not just remove GMs having access to T1/T2 skills/spells of all classes, only letting them retain their mastery bonuses?

Or, just let them have the T1/T2 skills/spells of their primary class type, eg, fighter, caster, rogue?

Offline Grish

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 11:44:13 am »
Well, thats prolly not the fairest either since im sure a lot of GMs rely on the cure crits, mirror shields etc etc.

But since obviously its clear which skills/spells the immortals dont want them to have (prolly any skill/spell in levels 1-10 of tier 3), it should be easy to identify which bread and butter skills should not be allowed to all gms.

Also, im sure a lot of GMs would be weakened quite a bit if all skills/spells were removed.