Author Topic: Spaceships  (Read 6595 times)

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spaceships
« on: June 05, 2008, 05:30:12 am »
This is an old idea of mine, but I think it has been forgotten in the long list of wanted code-changes, so I thought I'd remind you about it.

After we implemented the Spacebikes, nobody seems to use Spaceships any more. Which is a pity, since spaceships have a lot of fun potential - you can even have spacefights, using the missile launchers.

So here's my idea:
Make spaceships crashproof.
Not in the sense that they cannot be destroyed by missiles or meteorites or running into a sun - but so that the cargo in them would save over reboots and crashes.

Spaceships should not be like houses however. Anyone should be able to board them, so if you left your spaceship unguarded, you'd run the risk of someone stealing the cargo. You'd have to hide it in some remote area of space, or perhaps pay for a guard that would attack intruders but not yourself. (This could be scripted, I think).

Anyhow, if Spaceships and possibly also ships and some other vehicles were made crashproof, trades like mining and lumberjacking could be improved, since you'd be able to store a lot of heavy stuff in the ship and then drive it all to a Trader Mob at the same time. Which would save a lot of running back and forth and leave you more time to idle at Recall. And which also potentially would make it very tempting to loot or attack another ship, opening new options for pvp.

So, what do you think? Could it be coded?

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spaceships
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 02:54:37 pm »
After we implemented the Spacebikes, nobody seems to use Spaceships any more. Which is a pity, since spaceships have a lot of fun potential - you can even have spacefights, using the missile launchers.

No. No one uses spacebikes because there are half a dozen spaceships at every single port. It's ridiculous.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Spaceships
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 03:52:31 pm »
Why is it ridiculous? Spaceships were never supposed to be a limited supply.
For a short while they were, because players used them all up to go to the Dark Planet and kill Gojira.
Now that seems to have gone out of fashion, so there is a spare supply of ships.
So what? Who does it hurt?

Unless you just go to the planets with a shuttle connection, you need a spaceship to travel in space. Not finding one when you need one is just irritating. I'm not sure why you see the surplus as a problem. :P