Author Topic: Things that need a fixing  (Read 21610 times)

Offline Estidn

• View Profile
Things that need a fixing
« on: March 21, 2009, 04:34:26 am »
Meteorites. They don't destroy ships and there is like one meteorite in the entire space.
Missiles don't work
Space is too easy :P
Wolfhounds are pointless.
Flank- Could be a combo of bash and backstab or just a higher multi backstab
Trample- Mobs stand up right after trample.
Drinking from a container doesnt get you drunk.
When bidding on an item, if drunk, you auctalk a random number.
And drunk as a skill isnt worth it. I can barely hit anymore and got hit roughly 100% of the time. My skill is at 100%
The script on circlet and other equipment from Vic England wont let me use % in chat.
Repop times are disgusting.
Really needs to be a cap on exp tnl percentage 200 or 300% is fair. Redic for trying to kill a high level mob and coming out 800mil exp tnl in the hole

**** PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE**** Add an auto reboot every 24 or 48 hours. Just gets goofy having to wait for some quests.

My vitality seems to be going down at an alarming rate. I had 400/800str and walking through Cosmo Canyon put me a like 40% left. Toch said something about his mana doing the same thing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 04:37:19 pm by Estidn »

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
Re: Things that need a fixing
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 04:45:31 pm »
Rescue is bugged badly.
Hungry and Thirsty should be taken away from nobat, and added to the regular functions. Hungry and Thirsty should also impact dmg, and vit. However, the rate at which you become hungry and thirsty should be slowed. We need to make these functions important, otherwise they just belong in nobat. I really think they should be implemented though, including sleep. We need to make players tired and require them (if they ahven't had food or drink in a while) to become tired, and they need to sleep. Yay  for sleep deprivation! brings down dmg, and vit. So long as you stay fed you'll be okay and you'll not have to sleep.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline Estidn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 12:02:23 am »
Sleep deprivation is goofy. :P

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 06:02:42 am »
Okay everyone should know Rescue has been fixed.

For the following quoted from Estidn:
**** PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE**** Add an auto reboot every 24 or 48 hours. Just gets goofy having to wait for some quests.

Then the builders need to look over the quests and make changes since we seem to be more stable. I can't see an auto reboot just because of quests or because of the way quests are done. We could always make it never crash :)

Prometheus

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 06:04:45 am »
More on Estidn quotes:
My vitality seems to be going down at an alarming rate. I had 400/800str and walking through Cosmo Canyon put me a like 40% left. Toch said something about his mana doing the same thing.

I would say drop a note to Mozilla or Nauzhror and see if they can see anything wrong with the pfile. I know we sometimes get odd bugs in the pfile which causes stats to go strange.

Prometheus.

Offline Estidn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 11:32:23 pm »
Yeah i'm gonna have to have one of the coders look over my pfile. My stats are goofy and I logged in today with an extra set of equipment in hand.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 05:33:50 am »
For the following quoted from Estidn:

I'd like to point out that the fault much more often lies with the Questor than the Quest.
A reboot will not solve the problem, when it is caused by the player not doing things right.
We get too many reports about allegedly bugged quests, which are perfectly fine - the player just missed something essential. (This was for instance the case with the quest Estidn was referring to in the above quote. I know, because they asked me too, and I checked the script).

Normally you should never be forced to wait for more than a zone reset, i.e. 30 minutes to 4 hours, (which is maxtime for reset). The exception is features like farming and gardening, where the possibility to do it has been changed from once per reboot to once per RL day.

Bugged scripts do of course occasionally occur, but they are a lot more rare than most players think.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 05:35:35 am by Molly »

Offline Estidn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 05:13:03 pm »
Actully I think it was two diffrent things we we're talking about. But quest's aren't my only arguement. It seems like lag gets pretty bad without a crash now and again. Could just be me but I think reboots are healthy :-).

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 06:13:31 pm »
Maybe, but not once a day.

Offline Estidn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 09:16:05 pm »
You're right. What bothered me most was getting kicked off my browser cause the donation pit was so full. After everyone leveling for 5 days the mud was sloppy and filled with all the junk from people not sacing corpses. Maybe something can just be done about that. Where if multiple items of the same type are laying around in a zone they can auto dissolve. I donno maybe the coders can think of something to combat that. I just see it becoming a much bigger problem once we go 6+ days without a crash we're gonna see lag getting worse.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 08:14:58 am »
I've always thought that things laying on the ground should have an auto-disolve timer as much to clear up the mud as to represent the wear that would happen to things just lying around out in the weather and all.  I forget why I was told it wasn't going to happen.  I think it may've been because it doesn't actually lag the mud that much - or some such thing.  Either way, I ended up saccing random objects as I walked around the zones with my mort.  Seeing as I don't log on my mort much... it's up to you!   And the other ones out there to keep the mud clean of debris.

Kvetchy

Offline Hayato

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 09:02:27 pm »
Concerning the reboot thing, I think any mud will be very cautious about implementing an auto-rebooting feature.  First thing is that high reboot time reflects well on the mud connector, since it shows you are a stable mud.

Second is that, there may be advantages to players that know a reboot is coming (specific item loads or token pharming) but that is a type of advantage that is created outside the scope of the game and should not exist.

And finally, items laying about is by far not a valid argument for wanting a reboot ;) Think about how many thousands of rooms, items, mobs, and variables the mud is keeping track of, and suddenly, that zone filled with trash seems like a very small speck in the grand scheme of things.  Of course, if there IS a lag problem from high uptime, the coders might need to take a look at things.  Perhaps things aren't as efficient as they could be, etc.

As for the quest thing, I would never blame the questor in messing up the quest.  I think you should instead promote the questor to try as many possibilities as possible.  Ideally, the quest maker should prepare for as many of the things so that making a wrong choice doesn't cause the quest to be stopped and require a reboot.  This might require builders to think in the shoes of a questor when they're setting up quests though.  The questors themselves could also help by reporting things that went wrong for them, so that they can be fixed to not happen again in the future.  Though in my opinion, you guys just have way too many zones, too many quests, and just not enough staff to really get everything done in the most ideal way possible :P
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:05:51 pm by Hayato »
aka graham

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 09:11:13 pm »
Though in my opinion, you guys just have way too many zones, too many quests, and just not enough staff to really get everything done in the most ideal way possible :P

No such animal.  The large number of zones lets people go where they want when they want.  For example, I am so not interested in going into space, but Medieavel and Prehistoric are ok.  Old West is iffy to me.  I keep trying to examine it with my mort and usually give up.  What I'm saying is, if this were a space mud - or if most of the zones were in space - I probably wouldn't be here.  I think the fact we have a wide variety of zones keeps us alive and people interested.

Though, having said that I will admit... I think the world is a bit large for the population we have.  So.. we need to fix that by getting more players.  Anyone wanna volunteer for that job?

Kvetchy

Offline Hayato

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 10:06:02 pm »
No No, I meant you don't have enough staff to go through all the zones in the mud to make sure everything is unbreakable by the questor ;)  Hence why part of the responsibility is still left to the questor.

I'm just saying, in the ideal mud, the zones would be built in way where it is impossible for a questor to screw up in such a way that a reboot is necessary to clear that mistake.
aka graham

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 06:56:52 am »
Hayato is right about this, and I must say that I am extremely grateful to those of the older players, who actually REPORT the glitches in the quests, so that they  can be fixed, even when they might have an advantage of an abusable glitch being kept. (He is one of those good players himself).

Regrettably there are several of the older quests that aren't set up in an optimal way, partly because we didn't have the options in the DG_code back then, and partly because we simply were too inexperienced, and didn't forsee all the different approaches that a player could take to a solving a problem - we just test the quest the way that they are 'supposed' to be done, and sometimes forget to test the 'else' options.

One particular problem that many of them share is, that if you happen to lose a quest item that you are supposed to deliver in the middle of the quest, you might get totally stuck. In some cases there is a possibility to redo the quest from the start, but even that isn't always possible. So cases like this should always be typo reported, that makes it easier for us to fix the quests.

That said, I sometimes get a bit tired of players who claim that a quest must be broken, when the only problem is that they haven't yet figured out the right way it should be done. In some cases this is even a result of quest-blabbing - i.e. someone told them part of the quest but not all the details, and so they try to make shortcuts.

So, for the umptiforth time; Don't blab, and NEVER discuss quests over open channels - and that includes CT. Even if everyone on line has already done the quest when you start discussing, you never know when someone who hasn't logs on and catches part of the conversation.

So just don't discuss ANY quests, on ANY channels EVER. Period.