General Category > Suggestions & Ideas

The CRAFT System

(1/9) > >>

Molly:
Here is the craft system as it stands presently:

There are 6 main CRAFT PROFESSIONS;
Glassworker, Leatherworker, Metalworker, Stoneworker, Textileworker, Woodworker.

It has to be decided how the subskill system for them should be set up, however.

Either each profession could also be the subskill, in which case there will
only be the above 6 subskills totally for the Crafts.

Or alternately each Profession could have 5 subskills. (see the list below).

PROFESSION: GLASSWORKER
Subskills:
- Gaffer
- Glazier
- Marver
- Maestro
- Mirrormaker

PROFESSION: LEATHERWORKER
Subskills:
- Tanner
- Furrier
- Shoemaker
- Glovemaker
- Armourer

PROFESSION: METALWORKER
Subskills:
- Metallurgist
- Blacksmith
- Farrier
- Goldsmith/Jeweller
- Weaponsmith

PROFESSION: STONEWORKER
Subskills:
- Quarrier
- Masoner
- Stonecutter
- Gemcutter
- Constructor

PROFESSION: TEXTILEWORKER
Subskills:
- Weaver
- Ropemaker
- Tailor
- Embroiderer
- Robemaker

PROFESSION: WOODWORKER
Subskills:
- Woodsman
- Miller
- Carpenter
- Cabinetmaker
- Shipbuilder

The current list of craft related subskills looks like this:
RefineOre   RefineGems   ReprocessOre  ReprocessGems  SoftMining   HardMining        
Sharpening     LeatherWork  Tailoring  HeatManagement
Glasswork  BottleMaking  VialMaking
Lumberjack    CharcoalBurn    BrickMaking   Tunneling
Glove Maker    Gaffer  Glazier  Marver  Maestro   MirrorMaker
Tanner  Furrier   Shoe Maker
Metallurgist    Black Smith    Farrier   GoldSmith  WeaponSmith
Quarrier    Masoner  StoneCutter   GemCutter  Constructor
Weaver   RopeMaker   Tailor  Embroiderer
Woodsman   Miller    Carpenter   CabinetMaker  Ship Builder

and would turn into either this:
Glassworker  Leatherworker  Metalworker  Stoneworker  Textileworker  Woodworker

or, dependant of how detailed we want it,  this:
Gaffer  Glazier  Marver  Maestro  Mirrormaker
Tanner  Furrier  Shoemaker  Glovemaker  Armourer
Metallurgist   Blacksmith  Farrier  Goldsmith  Weaponsmith
Quarrier  Masoner  Stonecutter  Gemcutter  Constructor
Weaver  Ropemaker  Tailor  Embroiderer  Robemaker
Woodsman  Miller  Carpenter  Cabinetmaker  Shipbuilder

There could also be some other Craft related professions, for instance:

PROFESSION: ARTISAN
- Instrument maker
- Painter/Dyer
- Potter
- Sculptor
- Repairman

PROFESSION: BREWER
- Brewer
- Distiller
- Perfumer
- Potionmaker
- Alchemist

PROFESSION: SCRIBE
- Papermaker
- Bookbinder
- Scrollmaker
- Scribe

PROFESSION: CATERER
- Baker
- Confectioner
- Cook
- Caterer

Some of the above trades are already in planning, like cooking-catering and brewing

Tocharaeh:
I ave expressed great interest in the leatherworking subskill set in the past for my zone due to the 90% chance of Lycanthrope being suspended until the completion of skill trees. I would like to learn the finer details on how to sit down and write the system out as I am not well versed in these systems. Heh, I'm a writer not a coder...sadly :P WHY CAN'T I BE BOTH?! O ya, cuz um...writing is my niche :P

Molly:
The Purpose of Crafting

The top skill for a Glassworker would be Mirrormaker, to make a new item for evasive defence
The top skill for a Leatherworker would be Armourer, to make armour.
The top skill for a Metalworker would be Weaponsmith, to make weapons.
The top skill for a Stoneworker would be Contractor, to make personal houses and lockers.
The top skill for a Textileworker would be Robemaker, to make magical garments
The top skill for a Woodworker would be Shipbuilder, to make personal vehicles

The different Crafters would manufacure weapons and/or armour, mainly using wear_locs that are not otherwise available in the game, to avoid conflicts with the Quest equipment.
The wear_locs excluseively intended for crafted items are:
- thumb (left and right)
- saddle (only for mounts)
- ear tip
- shoulder (left and right)
- thigh  (left and right)
- knee (left and right)
- floating about

The Crafters could also make equipment for normal wear_locs, but these should be of mediocre strength, and mainly done to raise your skill and sell the item to mobs. Trading with mobs should always be a part of crafting, even though the main customers would be other players. Shopkeepers in Olde Yorke and other cities could be set to buy the products for TP.

Metalworkers,  Leatherworkers and Textileworkers would be the main professions for making equipment - Weasponsmith, Armourer and Robemaker being their top skills.

But creating weapons and armour would also need the cooperation of two or more crafters, (who could or could not be the same person, dependant on how many crafts a player is allowed to learn).

- For instance a sword would need a blade (metal-or glassworker), a hilt (woodworker), a pommel (metal-, stone- or glassworker), and be forged by a Weaponsmith (metalworker).
- A protective plate for the thigh would need the plate itself, (metal- or glassworker), some padding made of wool and linen (textileworker), and the straps to fasten it (leatherworker). It would all be assembled by an Armourer (leatherworker).
- Magic clothes would be created by Textileworkers, working with different kinds of adornments to enhance the garments, which would involve the other professions and also the aid of collectors of items like feathers, pearls, jewels etc..

In addition some crafters could make their own special objects;
- Stoneworkers, Glassmakers and Woodworkers could make magic items, like wands and staffs, and vials for potions.
- Woodworkers could also make ranged weapons, like bows and arrows.
- Goldsmiths, stonecutters and glassmakers could work with jewels, beads, engraving, filigran work etc., both as enhancing adornments on weapons and armour and for specific items like thumb rings.
- Leatherworkers could make harness for horses, like bridles, halters, saddles and saddlebags, which could all add to the performance of a mount. They could also make collars for pets, for instance for sheepdogs and cattledogs, allowing them to herd cattle on command.
- Stoneworkers would also be quarriers, producing stone and coal needed for the crafts.
Naturally we'd be grateful for input and ideas about cool items that the different crafters could produce. (If possible things that don't already exist in the game. Again we don't want any conflicts with powerful quest items).

As a sideline, Metalworkers would also be farriers, and shoe horses, which would upgrade a mount (considerably raising its movepoints, stamina and strength, possibly adding 1 or 2 tiers to it). This would need to be timered for as long as the shoes last.

Coding support

We'd need coding support to give very limited OLC access in the game port to the highest skilled Stone- and woodworkers (producing houses, lockers and ships).

Most of the crafts could be run by scripts, but in some cases materials, and possibly also colours, should play a part.

The main problem is that the end products when it comes to weapons and armour really should be coded, to get a varied outcome of the crafting process, while at the same time keeping the balance.
Material, crafting skill an a bit of random luck should all play a role in the result.

- For instance a glass blade could be extremely sharp, but also brittle, and so break easily.
- Certain metal alloys should be better than others. (This could be random or calculated).
- Different kinds of wood would be better than others for certain purposes.
- Different colours could be bearers of different magical properties, so that the textileworker could choose what stats they would put on their item.
- It would also be nice if the descs of a garment could be coded to reflect the colour and material used, during the entire process.

All this would need a lot of time, effort and calculation - again something that I am not sure that we have the capacity for. It needs a coder dedicating his time specifically to crafts for quite some time. And I am not sure if any of our coders has the interest for this particular feature.

Meanwhile, we'll probably go for a simpler system, with fewer variables, based only on skill and luck.

Some decisions that will have to be made (mostly for balance reasons):

- How many Professions should one player be allowed to learn?
  Originally I thought one per char, but seeing as our playerbase is limited, and cooperation between crafters is part of the system, we probably need to allow more).

- What stats and max addaffect points would be allowed on the new wear_locs?

- What stats and max addaffect points would be allowed on crafted items for 'normal'  wear_locs?

- There should always be a risk of failure in crafting,
  as well as the odd chance of producing something out of the ordinary.
  What percentage, and how should it be tied to subskill level?

- Should crafted items be timered i.e show effects of wear and tear and finally break?
- If so, should they be possible to repair?

horus:
Sorry, I am going to have to treat this as the lowest of priority at the moment - it wont come in until after we finish the skill trees.

Molly:
Guess that means we'll go for a scripted system for now, and leave the advanced stuff like metallurgy, materials and colour affections for later - if ever.  :)

All we need in code support then are the basic subskills to be put in, so that they can be trainable, which should be a quick fix.

We also need a decision if we should go for the simple or detailed number of subskills for the crafts (see the first post).
My own preference would be to go for the simple version. We can always work with the percentage level of the skill to determine the training quests and the outcome of the crafting process.

I mainly want to weed out the stuff that we won't be using in foreseeable time from the subskill list.

Then we can work with the different scripted craftskills at our leisure. And volunteers for the scripting part would be welcome.

We can still do a lot with a more limited number of end products, even if the result won't look as cool.
Again - ideas for products that don't interfer with other aspects of the game are welcome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version