Would You Support A PWipe?

Yes
16 (48.5%)
No
12 (36.4%)
Depends
5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Player Wipe (PWipe)  (Read 109296 times)

Sarias

Re: Player Wipe (PWipe)
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 08:26:05 pm »
This pwipe would go along with the said class system, tier tree changes. So a whole new system will  be in place. Making levelling a whole new experience for everyone.

If that's so then I'll definitely be for a pwipe. I just didn't like the idea of losing everything just to play the same game again. >>

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 08:42:55 pm »
It definitely wouldn't be just to play the same game again. It'd be part of a real balancing process at the end of playtesting quite a different (and much better) system.

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 09:08:26 pm »
Thotter agrees he'd play again, as does Asmodeus.

Hey, i'll drag myself into this discussion when I'm good and ready!

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 10:09:53 pm »
So what is this proposal now that it's got feedback?

Pwipe, no house, no perzes, no tokens, clan leaders voted back into power? Retain their old power?

What's going to change the game such to be worthy of a pwipe? Can the pwipe be avoided through smart planning in the rebalancing? Will the pwipe serve as a source of rejuvenation for getting old players active again?

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 10:45:01 pm »
So what is this proposal now that it's got feedback?

Pwipe, no house, no perzes, no tokens, clan leaders voted back into power? Retain their old power?

What's going to change the game such to be worthy of a pwipe? Can the pwipe be avoided through smart planning in the rebalancing? Will the pwipe serve as a source of rejuvenation for getting old players active again?
Full pwipe like we should have had with the first code change. No houses, no perzes, no tokens, clan leaders probably stay in power, no equipment, no flags, complete character file deletion. Houses can stay in the game, sure, but in order to regain the ownership of them, you must buy them back.

If the changes go ahead they could be relatively large as far as gaming experience goes, removing GM, removing tiers, removing remorts, switching to a 100 level system and revamping skills by basically limiting practices so players must make decisions on what they want their character to end up as. This will come with proper balancing, don't worry it won't just end up with everything being harder or easier, just slightly different. Getting 100 levels could take as much experience as GM does now, although I'd prefer around half as much max. Also equipment would likely be rebalanced, as it is there is a high concentration of the 'best eq' situated in the most recently built zones which is not a good thing. It should go back to being the hardest quests give the best equip.

I'd like to think it would rejuvenate the game, currently I think almost any change would despite a minority of players who hate any and all change. I've already heard from Thotter/Asmodeus/Xeriuth that a pwipe is about the only thing that could get them playing again, I think it'd be like that for a lot of oldbies who have nothing to do these days. Coupled with a clan change... It is a rather large change.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 12:00:21 am »
Add a comment with the negative vote Jason so we can start a proper discussion about it please.

Offline Jason Orsini

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 12:04:53 am »
so all the YEARS of gathering gear, they will simply poof?
now thats a douche idea.. worst ive heard in a LONG time. >:(

Offline Jason Orsini

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 12:07:45 am »
Oh yeah and i vote that old farts like Virisin
shouldn't be able to start douched out Polls.
just cause he got spring break and wanna act all freaky.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 12:12:48 am »
Gathering gear should be about the least of your worries to be honest, there are death-traps in the game which also make gear just go 'poof'. As a PKer you should also be willing to put your equipment on the line. If you know how to do the quests, you should already have a huge advantage over people that don't, and if you don't.. Hooray, you get the joy of re-learning them. They're actually quite fun.  ;)

Offline Jason Orsini

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 12:15:37 am »
Why on earth would i want to redo everything ive done?
hell no not for all the tokens special gear in the world.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 12:18:26 am »
Because all you do currently is sit at recall. It's all anyone does really because no one needs to do anything anymore. GM made you all lazy. The best thing about this game is racing to do things, to be the first or the best at something, or the fastest. Having challenges spurs everyone else on.

Also, I think if we have a big system overhaul, without having a pwipe we may miss a lot of bugs or imbalances at the lower levels. Us oldbies are the best at judging how well something is working. Well, I am anyway, not you.  :-*

Offline thotter

• Lord Of All Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 01:53:18 am »
I'd like to think it would rejuvenate the game, currently I think almost any change would despite a minority of players who hate any and all change. I've already heard from Thotter/Asmodeus/Xeriuth that a pwipe is about the only thing that could get them playing again, I think it'd be like that for a lot of oldbies who have nothing to do these days. Coupled with a clan change... It is a rather large change.
Quit misrepresenting what I said.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 02:27:05 am »
Quit misrepresenting what I said.
Oi virisin, don't misrepresent my opinion.
I said that a pwipe would be an awesome chance to really balance the game and all that, but that it would not be worth it if it completely killed the player base.
Well, we barely have a playerbase, and it seems so far that only one member of the current playerbase (Jason) disagrees with a pwipe. I do expect Britnoth and Estidn to oppose however, and it's likely Kita would too. I'm saying that you support the idea of a pwipe, and you have said that you would probably play again if there was a pwipe. Obviously if it killed the playerbase entirely I don't think anyone would continue to play, that's a given - hence why I'm making this thread to determine if we would have a playerbase afterwards.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 02:55:16 am »
the only thing I don't like is loss of houses and mounts. There really isn't a reason why anyone should lose those as it doesn't really unbalance anything. Just go in, wipe the houses of gear (excluding all containers, furniture and so on).

Gear can always be regained, but things like awards people have earned over the years, houses, and mounts shouldn't be touched at all because those took a lot of effort to get, and are huge badges of honor. I'm still a bit iffy about the loss of peoples tokens as well..

I guess I'd really have to see what the coders think. I'd really like their input on the whole matter since they're the ones putting a new system together.

Also a HUGE note to everyone: If any system is finally put together it's going to be tested on the test port FIRST. So don't freak out or anything.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 05:03:06 am »
I think if a pwipe doesn't include houses and things it isn't worth doing. Houses and mounts and things are earned through tokens which are earned through quests. The quests are still out there, and you're going to end up doing them again for the equipment, if you already have a house it just leads to you having nothing to do with your tokens and devalues them by inflating them. I would not support a pwipe if it didn't include the total destruction of tokens, houses and perzes. Otherwise it just creates unbalance right from the get-go and is just an experience and equipment reset which is more annoying than rejuvenating.

I think the a pwipe should really be looked at as a rejuvenating thing: I think the mud has more to lose by not pwiping than it does by pwiping. People like Hayato drift off for months at a time, some of those players return for a while, some don't. Of course a pwipe is not going to be celebrated by every single player, but I think the fact that it would give a lot of players who are bored of the place something to do again is worth more than the couple of players who are too lazy to do everything again, who don't do anything currently anyway.