Author Topic: Trainer System  (Read 7886 times)

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Trainer System
« on: November 09, 2009, 09:10:35 pm »
Ok, I have come to the conclusion that the trainer system currently doesn't fit with our system. Partly because there are a few skills and spells in quest areas and it's encouraging people to show other people the way into quest areas, but mainly because in the current system there are literally only like 10 or so skills or spells that are worth getting, and trainers just mean people use even less spells because they know they're just going to remort again soon anyway.

I propose that Mike should once again teach every skill and spell, and once the new skill tree system comes in, we re-implement the trainers except slightly reposition some of the skills or spells that were put in bad places originally, such as quest zones.

Costs stay the same though.

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Trainer System
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:29:39 am »
Why did we make this change to begin with :/ ... to promote exploration? I never really liked the idea before but went along with it. But completely reverting it back would kill all that work, no?
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:36:02 pm »
Well, I think it would still work very well in the new system were you're specializing and not ever changing class. In the current system though, everyone's always remorting and spending fuck all time in each class and there are only a few good skills and spells anyway so they pretty much just end up ignoring most of their skills or spells and just getting the best ones. Add to that the fact that some of the best skills and spells were put in quest places because I was a retard at the time and didn't realize people would just take their friends into the areas.

I think it'd be good for Mike to have everything back for now, just to keep the players happy, but I do think it'd be a good addition to the new system.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:45:46 pm »
Hate to say I agree with Virisin but.. I agree with.. erm.. whats-'is-name.

The idea behind spreading the skills/spells out was to make it so people had to explore to find their skills/spells and thus we're able to get people into zones that they wouldn't normally go into.  I still like the idea of people having to explore to find some of the better skills/spells, but perhaps we were a bit hasty in putting so MANY of them out there.  I do think with the new system (as it'd been explained to me) searching for your better skills/spells would be more in the game spirit than it currently seems to be.  But if every bartender can teach you drunk.. just give it to Mike instead of having every bartender have a [T] next to their name - Mike was probably a bartender in a past life anyway.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 02:09:33 pm »
Yeah, true. I think the T's give quite a bit of atmosphere to the game to be honest, I still like them a lot. I just agree now that they don't really fit in the current system, and we were a bit hasty implementing them. I definitely still think they have their merits and could work very well in a non-remorting system, with a little thought as to repositioning a few of the poorly placed trainers.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 03:34:39 pm »
I really think this should be quite high priority.

Offline isis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 03:54:48 pm »
also i found that you can level faster then it takes to go look for some dumb trainer for a few skills that you might need...so becomes redundant to spend time finding a trainer for a skill only to remort and loos a skill you did not use to much... you know?
Dear diary. Today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 04:19:15 pm »
Exactly. It would work in a non-remorts non-GM system, but it doesn't fit currently and is only enticing players to blabber about quests.

Offline isis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:37:39 pm »
now dont get me wrong i think its a good idea (kinda) but it needs MAjor improvement....
Dear diary. Today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."