Poll

Should we mass ignore Virisin's Stupid ideas?

Please Yes!
3 (25%)
Who is Virisin?
3 (25%)
Depends
0 (0%)
Who cares he is a  GOAT!
2 (16.7%)
No
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: November 24, 2009, 11:12:30 am

Author Topic: Virisin Should Stop Posting Bad Ideas  (Read 18189 times)

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
Re: Virisin Should Stop Posting Bad Ideas
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 02:22:05 am »
Hey just a note for 3.0 DnD, you should convert your characters and items over from 2.0 to 3.0/5 without too much of a problem. All it took was a little effort, and knowing where to tone your suddenly uber character down without totally scrapping the whole thing and moving on to White Wolf like so many did.

However, making a leap form 2.0 to 4th is impossible..I tried and failed. 4.0 seems cool, and a lot simpler. The changes made a lot of sense once you read their "Why we did the things we did" book.

Anyway, good post Kvetch.

PS: THAC0 rocked :P
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline horus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 04:37:03 am »
Kvetch's post is basically a rehash of what Virisin has been trying to say all along, except she is more articulate, and hence the reason why she is a builder and Virisin isnt. Essentially, she has got it correct when she said we are converting the current 4d system into a proper full blown gaming system that involves a more complex and diverse set of combat.

Our aim is to make no two combats the same, even if you are killing the same mob. The skill trees has lots of side effects, as mentioned in the numerous posts in the other thread, and those benefits actually effect the economics of 4d. We have a great chance of fixing alot of inherent flaws in 4d with a pwipe, and if there was any other way, we would have chosen it.

Anything that costs gold, tokens, TPs should be wiped. Anything affecting the game should be wiped. RP gear can be reimbursed as long as it does meet these criteria. As I have said before, half assed measures in the past has led to the current situation today, and I do not want to repeat history. The problems with today's system is diverse, both of having crappy code that does not support the quality of the areas, and the economy. It does not make sense to have healers and potions out of reach of newbies, and yet they are basically useless for the experienced players (I am generalising here, I know you are using potions, but not to the extent that is a gold sink).

So if we had a pwipe without the myriad changes, then it becomes ineffectual. We are doing this not just because of the combat upgrade (skill/spell upgrade, class revamp, different type of prac system, etc), we are also targeting the problems with inflation, and designing a proper economy that will make 4d thrive. Hopefully, we might even end up having a player run economy!

So I am just adding to what Kvetch has said, her explanation is a perfect analogy of what we are trying to do - in fact, skill trees come from AD&D 3.0+.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 04:44:59 am »
Kvetch's post is basically a rehash of what Virisin has been trying to say all along, except she is more articulate, and hence the reason why she is a builder and Virisin isnt.
>:( You just changed me from a yes voter to a no voter Horus! >:(

(I have actually built maybe 40%-60% of a zone)

:-*

I just read Kvetch's post again cause I liked it so much.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 09:37:43 am »
*gasp*  I got viri to read a long post TWICE because he liked it.  Quick Call 911, I'm having a heart attack - or maybe it's just shock.   Way too used to reading "nice post, kvetch but..."  *rip rip, tear tear, shread shread*

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 10:26:38 am »
Kvetch's post is basically a rehash of what Virisin has been trying to say all along, except she is more articulate, and hence the reason why she is a builder and Virisin isnt.

Well this made me laugh out loud for the first time in a while

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 04:57:05 pm »
A couple of things to note for posting:
Please do not flame. I know some people are grammar freaks. I am not. So please don't start snipping at each other over that.
And please stay on topic. The topic is about Virisin's bad ideas and not an side topic on d&d 3.0 vs d&d 3.5 vs d&d 4.0

Prometheus
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:58:46 pm by Prometheus »

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 05:03:01 pm »
If it weren't for Kvetch's post this topic would have been destroyed I imagine.. Do you really want us to have proper discussion about whether I should stop posting bad idea?  :'(

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 05:15:27 pm »
Sorry, until the Award Points post, I'd not seen a "bad" idea from Viri for a while, so I got confused and had to create that long post about D&D and all.  As I said, it was only posted here because this is where I was when I thought of it.  AT my age I gotta go with posting where I am, otherwise all the little thoughts run out and away before I can find my way to the correct board.  Speaking of...

*Kvetch goes chasing after a random thought that has escaped from her horde*