Author Topic: Anubis' Fighting Arena idea - map  (Read 13792 times)

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anubis' Fighting Arena idea - map
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:22:12 pm »
Anubis asked me to make up a map for a fighting arena.  Here's the rough idea.  I guess he wanted everyone to see it.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anubis' Fighting Arena idea - map
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:25:30 pm »
The idea behind the map was Anubis wanted wide open areas (rooms 1-12), some water areas (those would be blue) some areas that could be bottleneck areas (those would be the one marked tunnel) and he wanted intersecting passages and all of this not on a grid.  So, the map is what I came up with to hopefully do all that he wanted.  It's only 50 rooms (small for me) but a possible 50 room expansion for team play.  Do you guys have any other ideas to incorporate into this?

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 10:04:13 pm »
an upper and lower level would be nice too, but they would both need to be significantly smaller, say 10 rooms. No doors or hidden passageways tho. It causes way too many delays. In arena, people want to see bloodshed, not waiting games :)

So, are we going to get an actual spectator stand where people can sit and "watch" the whole event?

EXAMPLE OF STANDS:

Exits: d
You're in the stands with thousands of people, cheering on the coming massacre!

(ECHO::::THE BATTLE IS ABOUT TO START!::::)
(ECHO::::In 3....2.....1..::::)
(ECHO::::LET THE BLOODBATH BEGIN!!!::::)

Virisin walks north
Horus skips east
Virison walks west
Horus backstabs Virsin
Virisin encircles Horus!
Horus tried to throw Virisin but fails!
Virisin bashes horus.

-----

You get the idea. This kind of arena code is used quite often, and it's really great because it gets everyone involved in tourny's and such without having to actually GET INVOLVED.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:05:09 am »
We already have spectator seats for the gladiator arena. Pretty sure we already have the code and stuff available so it should be easy to add it to this thing. I like the idea.

I'd like to see more room types: inside, outside, couple more water rooms etc. For all different spell types.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 07:21:41 am »
an upper and lower level would be nice too, but they would both need to be significantly smaller, say 10 rooms.

Tochy... you've been building for.. well.. a while.  Surely you know how hard it would be to make anything worthwhile with 10 rooms (without it being a grid and no loop around rooms - oh, and having hallways intersect)?  Anubis said 50 and I nearly fainted.  Anything less than 100 for me is difficult  But, having said that - I've plans to build on another 50 rooms so that there can be team tournaments and one of those rooms I was thinking of having a tree that could be climbed so someone could "drop" on anyone that went under the tree - in an ambush.  Of course I'd have to talk to Anubis about the feasability of doing something like that - though I'm sure it can be scripted.

As for the spectator area, I was only asked to build the arena - so that's currently not in the plan - at least not mine (not that it's be hard to do, as Viri said we really have the scripts for it already).

Kvetch

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 07:30:03 am »
I'm happy to help build the thing if need be.

As for the spectator room, it only needs to be a single room like recall for the script to work.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 08:38:51 am »
Anubis asked for a few changes and got them - of course.  So here is the updated map.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 08:45:08 am »
Ok, hope this picture is larger.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:23:34 pm »
but... but...
We've already got an arena.  It's got several subterranean tunnels and a tower too...

Wait... we've got two arenas..., no three. Do we really need another one?

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 03:58:23 pm »
I'm kinda with Molly really. I'm not entirely sure why we need another arena at all.

Offline horus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 04:10:03 pm »
Yes, we do need another area because everytime I depend on existing 4D code....well....

Besides, these are well designed areas specific for a pre-determined purpose.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 09:04:28 pm »
A new small arena idea for Anubis, this time some scripts will have to get added.  OH, added bonus - levels!

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 09:29:11 pm »
I was thinking about having another arena available to players much like the tournament yard. So it can be accessed by anybody at anytime and a good place for pk fights. Of course have different room types there, hot, cold, inside, outside, water, in water, air, etc. There can be different scripted goals built in if used as an arena, like capture the flag, or collecting items off of mobs that spawn in the zone, perhaps even survival, mobs start spawning and gradually get harder, your goal is to team up or be left for dead and fend for yourself. if you can survive the whole time, win something.
Several concepts for the arena, that could make it a fun place to spend time. Maybe have an overall goal for it, and it would open it up and make it give different casters etc advantages dependent on the terrain. Thoughts?
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 01:02:40 am »
Hmm, I was wondering what happened with Anubis Arena idea. Apparently Kvetch had the different arena zones ready and waiting, and just the code for it needed to be added. I guess it went down the drain with the rest of Anubis planned additions...

Or maybe not. Some of the additions still exist in this port, and if so the coders should be able to grab it and add it in. So the question goes to the Kvetch and the coders: Is this arena thing still available and if so, can it be implemented?

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 01:19:17 am »
Even simply the tournament yard accessible type multi terrain arena would be nice for now, arena games can always be added in time?
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here