Author Topic: Exp Loss from Fleeing/Dying  (Read 11326 times)

Offline Estidn

• View Profile
Exp Loss from Fleeing/Dying
« on: March 18, 2008, 02:44:00 am »
I'm just wondering if anyone else feel's it is a little (ridiculously) high. Kind of puts off exploring/questing/pk'ing when you get almost 50%exptnl loss after a death. I died three times when my exp was at 50% (trying to get my corpse back) and it put me up to 170%exptnl

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
  • Has delusions of adequacy
    • View Profile
    • Multiplayer Online Game Anyone?
    • Email
Re: Exp Loss from Fleeing/Dying
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 03:41:42 am »
Well,
I am all for people killing and exping in zones that have the right toughness for their level.

So, if you are fleeing and dying a lot, i think you should exp in safer zones.

How else do we regulate the speed with which people go up in level?
I could reduce the exp you gain from mobs, and increase the time between attacks in fights, that would increase the time it takes to level up.

Or, we put the onus on the player and make the punishment for dying and fleeing high, and then it is up to the player to avoid zones that are uneconomic for them to play in at their current strength.

Offline Natalya B.

• MSN Messenger - miss_sol@live.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:30:52 am »
I think there's been some other "discussion" happening on the mud about EXP related "issues" - namely EXP for TNL, and also fleeing and dying.

I personally don't care about it, it's one of those things I've always just accepted and gone "meh oh well". EXP for TNL can get a bit annoying though, only because it's just mindless levelling. But hey, I suppose it's still a challenge, right?

Offline Natalya B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:33:27 am »
PS- RE Dying/What Estidn Said/What mord said about a putting the onus on a player...

Gotta remember there are still some situations (mobs) where it's almost impossible not to die or flee, and those are the times where the exp loss CAN be a bitch.

Gojira, Voltron, Sweeney...

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 02:27:43 pm »
I've never found it a problem.. The most I ever lose to mobs when I flee is like 10mill. I guess I'm fighting mobs good for my strength? Heh, I level at Dark Planet from level 1, tier 1.  ;D

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
  • Has delusions of adequacy
    • View Profile
    • Multiplayer Online Game Anyone?
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 02:49:14 pm »
PS- RE Dying/What Estidn Said/What mord said about a putting the onus on a player...

Gotta remember there are still some situations (mobs) where it's almost impossible not to die or flee, and those are the times where the exp loss CAN be a bitch.

Those mobs are one offs that aren't there for exping off, and really were designed with group combat in mind.
You are expected to die a lot to these mobs.

Offline Natalya B.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 04:43:12 pm »
Oh, I know Mord, I wasn't arguing, I was just pointing out the obvious situations where EXP loss can be a pain :p

Offline Estidn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:09:39 pm »
Well then maybe just put a limit at how much exp can be lost. That way if they're leveling and keep dying then they'll end up still losing exp. But if they're questing or just exploring. The impact won't be as bad. I mean the gars in the midlands can knock me down 50% exp tnl in no time.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 01:42:24 pm »

I think most often when you fight these mobs you will be level 50, and perhaps GM. Does the experience loss really matter then? Is Sweeney really one of the hardest mobs? On par with Gojira, and Voltron?

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 02:18:12 pm »
Nope, Sweeney is a lot easier.

Offline Natalya B.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 01:38:54 pm »
I havent killed sweeney yet. Couldn't be bothered at the time.

I only mentioned him cause apparently Xeri died a number of times to him and said sweeney was tough.

And given xeri is a relatively strong player I just figured perhaps sweeney is a bit tough.

Guess I'm wrong in my assumption :p

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 03:58:23 am »
Sweeney's backstab is tough.