General Category > Suggestions & Ideas

Blind Players

(1/7) > >>

Calypso:
We have enough blind players  8) to justify changing some things around to make it fair for them. Anything that relies on color as an indicator should be changed. For instance, instead of having a colored tier bar in front of a mob, we can use T4 or |||| as an indicator. And instead of the skills/spells being in green to indicate which ones a player can train, just use a *. 

Can you think of anything else like this?

Bane:
Has anyone actually taken the time to talk to the blind players?

Calypso does have a point, Someone should take some time to chat with one of our blind players and see what annoys them on here or what suggestions they may have that would make the game better for them to play.

I know at least in mushclient you can do quite a few things with texts in colors, If its something we cant add to the code its something that could be whipped up as a plugin for mushclient. I have a full plate of things I need to do on here so I wont say Ill take on the project but id be willing to help anyone who would take on this task if its under lua.

But I will add there has been one player I never knew was blind for a very long time and was quite in shock when I found out the news on how far he managed to get into this game. I believe this has actually been brought up in another post, or least something Molly has brought up somewhere here on the forums to make the mud more friendly to our blind players.

Molly:
Some of the blind players have actually contacted the staff and told about problems, and we've made some fixes already.

The tier symbols havn't been fixed yet however, and I really hope some coder will do that soon.
Do you hear me, Coders? ???

One of the main problems is of course ascii art, which comes out as gibberish.
We don't have much of that in 4D, just a few rooms in the Mediterranean Sea, and I don't think these are a problem.
One particular problem mentioned was however the archeology quest in Carthage Bay, where the shards you collect are represented as ascii pictures that you are supposed to puzzle together, so we made some additions there. I believe what I did was to add info about the number of pieces to each item, and each set of shards also has a different feel desc, so you can identify what item the pieces belong to).

The only other places where I know that ascii art is used are the Worth and Gold commands, but I think they can read the text part on those regardless. At least to my knowledge nobody has complained about those so far.

But talking to the blind players and finding out what else we can do is a good idea. Perhaps someone could ask them about the worth and gold commands.

Bane:
Do we have any suggestion as to what we want the tier symbol to be?

Calypso:
Well it could be one tier bar for each tier. Or we could simply add T# in front of it. Otherwise perhaps use a symbol to indicate certain tiers. I.E. v for T1, < for T2, ^ for T3, and > for T4.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version