General Category > Roleplay

Role Play Games/Mini-Session Ideas

(1/5) > >>

Calypso:
In other threads, we have talked about rewards for RPing and how many points they should cost. We have talked about restrings and perzes to further get into character. But no one has talked about the issue that this is not a RP-centered mud so very few players have a character with a developed personality. Everyone plays in their OOC self. This is not a problem since this isn't a RP mud. But it sure does make it difficult to RP in game when we are all just a bunch of online friends who chat in recall or on gossip channel.

I think the key to reviving RP in the mud is to allow each person to take a break from their ingame character (the one who has an ooc personality) and put them in improv situations where they have to act on the fly. The RPLs can create a background and story line and the player has to adapt to it and roll with the flow. I think to start out with, we should stick with less involved more humorous scenarios to break the ice a bit. All mini sessions below are 30 minutes long and will yield 5 -10 points a piece to all involved. Some of the games are for one player and the RPL. Some need more than one person to pull off. Some are flexible.

Games:
Babysitting- (1 player)Player is hired at the 4D Day Care. RPL will make sure the babies give the new sitter a hard time

The time you ran into THAT ex boy/girl friend- (1-2 players) You are waiting in line at Starbucks or you are sitting down on crowded train. You suddenly realize the person next to you in that one ex in your past that stands out among all other exes. Now you are forced to make polite, if awkward, conversation. RPL can play as one actor is only one player is available.

The Date Interview- (1-4 players) The guy/gal is over to pick up his/her date for the evening.  But the parent(s) have a few question they want answered before consenting to the date. Only really need a boy/girlfriend and a parent but can also add a second parent and the date whose parents are doing the interview. RPL can play any missing role.

The Minister- (1+ players) You are the minister of a brand new religion. Your job is to spread the good word to those around you. Player can create a religion of his own or can use a religion the RPL has created. This is to be light-hearted and funny. The new religion should be silly and far-fetched. Player should avoid using this as a chance to make any points he or she may have about any real religion or about religion in general.

Trollolol- (1 player -with more unsuspecting participants) Player creates a secret newbie alt and trolls the mud. Player should avoid being insulting or engaging any real newbies. The point is to have fun and cause some ruckus. The troll and all players who were involved (even if unknowingly) will get rewarded.

Memory Loss- Player wakes up in a morgue with no memory of who he is. The others fill in the story for him and the player then has to incorperate all those stories into his personality. Can involve as many people as wants to get involved. Only one amnesia sufferer at a time though
ex: player1: "Where am I? Who am I?"
player2: You are Mike the transgendered nun
player1 emote: crosses his legs and his chest at the same time.
player1: "Well my child, who are you?
player2: I am Calypso, your friend from Italy.
player1 emote searches in his purse for some lipstick and the Bible.
player1: "So my child, you are saying I am from the holy country of Italy?"
player2: yes you are from Italy. From  Rome actually. You have lived there for 15 years but are looking for a change in scenery.
player1 emote unfolds his road map and plots a route to Spain.
player1: "Mamamia child, I think-a I remember everything now. I have lived in this country forever and it'sa time for me to look for new things."
player2: You are also a bit of a grouch.
player1 emote scowls at everyone and everything.
player1: "aye-yie-yie! This place-a stinks! The Lord, he wantsa me to spread the good word in Spain."
etc...

I would love to hear any more ideas for mini-sessions. The point of this is to give players the chance to break out of their character and try their hand at acting improv, and make a few points in the process. I prefer ideas that do not involve roaming the realms in search of a mob or object. There are quests for that. I want to focus on roleplay.

What do you think?? Think we can make this work?

Calypso:
RULES:

Any good game needs rules. The presiding RPL will determine if the actor has followed all the rules. Rule breaking may result in not getting points for the session.

1. The session must be posted on the Roleplay forum.
2. Roleplay is not to be used as a chance to be insulting to others or as a chance to make a point about OOC religion/politics/people.
3. Sessions must be a minimum of 30 minutes long.

Can you think of anything else?

Kvetch:
No God-moding.  IE: your actions cannot force another player's actions.  YOU can not say that "Bob" jumps at your scary face.  You can say you MAKE a scary face, it's up to "Bob" to decide his/her reaction to it.  This also entails force-killing.  You can not say you kill "bob" you can say you attack "bob" but if bob doesn't feel like dying, it's just going to end with someone walking away as neither will die on their turn and you cannot say you killed them.  If you make them do something then that part of what you say/emote/etc is null and void.

Molly:
Heh - those ideas are funny, Calypso.
And typically naughty...

I remember in the past, when Kalten and I used to have our bedroom quarrels in public, involving whoever was on line and demanding they take sides.

We weren't really virtual lovers of course, since mudsex just isn't my thing.
Kalten, on the other hand, was very much into it. Being who he was, he probably had mudsex with every female in the game - (including cows and goats) - except me.
That is probably why we stayed best friends for so long...

Xeriuth:
I think this is a good idea.  Taking on roles and acting them out. Here are some suggestions to make this better into a reality.   Depending on the scenario and environment needed, a small Theater could be built near Recall. Depending on what wants to be roleplayed there may be a scene already in place in the theater for individuals to use.  RPL's of course could always lead the session's individually and issue out Award points. But any two players could decide to go to RP and take on whatever roles they wish. You could even in terms of RP change your names. Sure if the log reads, "Calypso says, '....'." You could always just do a Replace All to replace Calypso with The nun and the other player with another. And then truncate the log so it has just the important stuff and post it on the board.  The truncating part I think would be up to the players themselves to receive compensation.  The RPL shouldn't have to do it because they would be the ones encouraging the sessions typically and doing a little more of the planning and laying out of the scenario.

Sum it up:
Make a theater with different scenes as rooms for acting. (Could do this like the hotel in Quixotica)
RPL's do not have to lead the session, players can start session's on their own.
If RPL leads session, the player can receive some Award points for the session alone. More if they make a proper log.
If two players do a session together, one of the players must make a proper log for either to get award points. Where the one whom makes the log gets more.
All of these logs must be posted the for Roleplay forum here. (An imm or RPL can post after the RP log that they have awarded points and the actors no longer should get them)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version