Author Topic: 100 Cha limit and backstab damage  (Read 10470 times)

Offline rynald

• Administrator
    • View Profile
100 Cha limit and backstab damage
« on: May 12, 2015, 04:29:34 pm »
Here are two suggestions for improvements:

1. Fighters and rogues have a chance to do backstab damage in every round. High level tiered mobs can do thousands of damage this way, often killing the player. I propose to limit this damage to 75% of the player's maxhit, so you have the chance to do something when you get hit the first time.

2. Cha is limited to 100 at the moment, while damroll is capped at 150. 100 cha is easier to get, especially because of divine mind. When you've hit 100, new quest equip isn't as useful anymore. The idea is to raise the limit to 150.

Offline Tor

• View Profile
Re: 100 Cha limit and backstab damage
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 10:42:29 am »
1. I'm all in favor of your suggestion on reducing the backstab/encircle damage. It makes no sense to me that through maximum armor and sanctuary, (which is supposed to reduce damage to the minimum for that type of hit), for nearly 8000 hit points of damage, it could be higher, but I've seen very near 8k several times. Even at 75 percent of the players max HP there is a probability of the first encircle killing them.

2. I'm in favor or increasing the limit on Charisma to the proposed 150 limit, I'm not sure it can be reached though. When I hear many casters talk about their Cha it seem many don't reach 80 even with divine mind and know of no one that makes it without using divine mind. I'm the first to admit that there is much I don't know.

Offline rynald

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 03:30:27 pm »
The 75 percent limit can be discussed, but with this limit you at least have a chance to survive if you heal enough.

There are over 25 wear slots, i don't know if there is +5 cha equipment for all of them yet, but it should at least be possible to use all of it imo.

Offline Tor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 01:59:50 am »
As it is easy for these high level mobs to do 25 percent of a players hit points in damage in one or two rounds, would a percentage of the players remaining hit points instead of their maximum hit points be unreasonably low? Ie: player has max hit points of 3600 hit once or twice for 900 damage, then encircled for 3600*.75=2700 produces dead, where as encircled for 2700*.85=2160 leaving them with about 400 hit points. Remembering that some of these mobs can get multiple hits on a player per round and are located in rooms where fleeing and retreating are both impossible. Grabbing a potion and quaffing it takes two rounds, (I think, haven't used it in awhile), and the heal spell has frequent failures.

Offline rynald

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 02:47:28 pm »
Using a percentage of the current hp makes mobs hit less and less. When you're down to 10 hp you still won't die from a backstab which looks kinda silly. The same is true when taking a percentage from the maxhit, but then there's only a difference between players which is less obvious.

When you have wimpy set, can they still get hits in after a backstab?
75% is the upper limit though, it will be lower than that most of the time.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 08:16:38 pm »
My question is:  Why does the heal spell have frequent failure if you have it learned at max? Maybe that needs to be looked into as well?

Offline rynald

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 04:25:29 pm »
The chance of failure for any spell is 2/101 if you learned the spell to 99%. That's not too bad?

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 08:47:21 pm »
I would think that'd be decent, but it was sounding like it failed more than that.  Though maybe that's because of the heat of battle.  Maybe Tor can show a log of how often it seems to fail if more than that?

Offline Tor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 04:47:37 am »
Yes, if your flee fails, for what ever reason, or if as sometimes happens, they follow you when you flee, they can continue to hit you. (Aggravating to not have trap aware and be stuck unable to move for minutes after having won the battle, but such is life.) *Peers at Kvetch* There are some rooms that one can't can't flee or retreat from with tough mobs. *Grin*

How does anyone train a spell to 99 percent?  As far as I know the maximum is set to 98 percent for mortals, exception being some species are "born" with 100% like centaur with 100 percent ride and mount. *Laugh* Not much use as they can't do either.

I have had the lost concentration on casting heal 3 or 4 times in a row, (after which death occurs, if not before), which is possible at < 2% occurrence but not very likely. This happens both when casting on self or on others. I will try and remember to log some occurrences and post them. Just as a quick check used a spell that I only had only trained to 80% 100 times with no fails and in the process trained it up to 83%. Then cast heal, (not in battle), trained to 98% 100 times and had 4 failures for loss of concentration.  As the results should be random doesn't really prove anything. To small of a test to satisfy the rule of large numbers.

Also spells have a chance of missing target, (just like melee can miss the target), or not producing any results, (you cast the runes of <spell>, but no damage or miss message), as well as failing from the caster loosing concentration. If it matters my accuracy is 327, it seems to be capped there as it hasn't increased in many remorts, (don't know if that is only improved while melee or not).