Author Topic: 4D where is it headed?  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Riley

• View Profile
4D where is it headed?
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:46:04 am »
I feel like some peoples opinions are like never heard, or perhaps like no one wants to speak up for fear of being hated or disliked or other reasons.  I'll try to keep this as mellow as possible.

Imho there are like 3 types of people that mud.

1) Those that just want to talk
2) Those that are your average gamers
3) Those that are going to meticiously rip apart the mud to find all it has to offer.

I pretty much fall into type 2. But of course like everything you can't just classify someone into one category.  So of course I have bits of 1 and 3 too.

I haven't been here since the beginning of 4D like some others have, but like over the course of 4D history there are some things that I have liked and others that I haven't liked.

Grouping with involement - I liked this very much, gave people the opportunity to group with others are be able to spend more time with others and be able to have much more deeper connection with those in the game.

Well than grouping got changed for the worse.... people left....  powerleveling was destoryed.  Experience was given out in proportion to how much damage you did....

Grouping was changed back to semi what it was before, but now you can't set the involvement.  At least grouping is better.

The new Training System.... ugghs...   this is almost like the worst thing that any mud can really do.  And why?  Go back to my 3 types of people that mud.

1) Well they really won't care too much they are really only here to socialize...
2) They want the most out of the game (and having the skills that are available to all shouldn't be held from them), but if they don't get the best gear or what not it's not going to bug them.
3) Well this type of person is going to be the one that is going to be the master of the game.  Any questions about the game you could ask this person and they would know *Permitted that if they could tell you they would, but we all know quest info being told is a big NO NO*

For the newbies the Trainning System provides a major problem, they are new and don't know there way around the mud.  Sure it's a great way to learn your way around but who really wants to be force to venture out in the world and try to get... *dies*   Let's try that again... to get a skill...

For the average player they might know a few places to go find trainers, but the average player most likley has not explored more than 50% of the mud..   Face it we just want to have fun, and there really isn't a leveling game out there that holds spells and skills from people that level.

For the people that know the game, there isn't a nook and cranny that they haven't explored, so they know where everything is.

As for me I would continue to level if given the chance.  I work from 9-5 and I play at work.  It's a great way to pass a boring day, but what am I to do?  Let's see well I could remort.... Well that's outta the question cause I'm not going to go track down needed trainers... Well how about power level newbies.... Well that's nice and all but shouldn't they go through mud school and quest academy first and LEARN how to play the game first?  I could sit in recall and talk... what's on the agenda today Politics?  I'll pass.  I could go questing....  Yeah like I want to spend 2+ hours trying to weasel my way into thinking like another human being that did the quests.  I don't mean to say I don't like questing but there are times when I wanna throw my laptop out into the middle of the street cause I can't figure out a quest.  I am actually happy with the quests I have figured out but others pretty much let the type 3 people deal with.

As for the new fighting system that people want implemented imho WHAT IS SO BLOODY wrong with the current system?  It works fine, and seriously the people that want the change how long are they going to stick around?  A week, a month?  Than what get bored leave and let the rest of us suffer?  If the people want change that badly, get on the cases of the builders that are in the process of building their zones, and what about the subskills?  There's only a handful of those implemented and in game.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
Re: 4D where is it headed?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:37:43 pm »
What's wrong with the system is that it's messy. The system was for the most part slapped together with the purpose of making GM's, and then gimped the hell out of everything. Most of the skills and spells that exist are useless. We have mental magics, fire magics, and so on that aren't so amazing. We have people who can make caster eq...and nobody plays them. We have brew that nobody uses. We have firearm, and so on that is equally useless. Tanker classes can't tank properly.

This is basically what you have:

Dependancy of Healers that don't really exist.
False proffession niches.
Inefficiany.
Zero Supply and Demand.

On all other things, I agree with you that things here aren't exactly built for ALL types of mudders. We have an aweful lot of gaps, but taht is our goal, is to FIX those gaps. What you have right now are some very experienced tema sworking on making 4D better for everyone. These are not just simply people who will vanish in a week. There is a HUGE sense of dedication behind this drive for something better.

This new class system is being written as we speak for an official proposal for implementation. Those who have remorted will be rewarded for their hard work. None will be left behind, and you will be able to experience a far better and more fluid system with very VERY little wrinkles. The system is easy, and very linear in terms of comprehension.

I understand your concern whole heartedly because we have seen first hand what kind of drastic changes for the bad can do to us. We can go form 30 active to 15 in less than a month because something was done that truly didn't benefit everyone. The skill system is the prime example of this very fact. We made it harder for people to progress whereas they should have really just gone to their own respective guilds.

-Tochie
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline horus

• View Profile
Re: 4D where is it headed?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:40:23 am »
Patience Riley, patience. There are alot of things that needs to be tinkered with, and alot of other things that needs to be fixed as how it should be done, before we can propose a proper new model to work with. We are proposing a model that achieves what the original aims of what the classes should have been, and the spells and skills were trying to achieve.

At the end of the day, you could choose the right skill trees and end up with a similar set of skills/spells as existing classes - if thats what you want to do.