Author Topic: Damage based spells  (Read 23954 times)

Offline Once

• View Profile
Re: Damage based spells
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 03:47:37 am »
Does this post still need to be stickied, or is it pretty much wrapped up?

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 04:57:50 am »
This post needs serious looking at. Spells are totally fucked up and none of these things have been fixed yet, things like protection from cold, evil, fire, good are all different tiers, mind water, ice, electricity are all different tiers. The spells as Hayato pointed out all need tweaking. It would be awesome to add some kind of fire/ice/etc mastery that gives a more dynamic bonus than just mind ice, water, fire. Could be similar to how weapon proficiencies should be: you get better through use but inactivity sees decline.

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 05:49:14 pm »
Still on my list of to-do tweak / fix / modify.

1) Should all of the protection spells be same level and tier?

2) Should all of the mind spells be same level and tier?

Remember to input otherwise I will do as I feel best :)

Prometheus
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:50:57 pm by Prometheus »

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 06:55:27 pm »
Things like the protections should probably all be the same tier and level, because they're essentially all the same thing for different classes. Estidn and Hayato both have good posts in this thread you should focus on. There just needs to be some more consistency.

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 07:34:31 pm »
Maybe we should do a little rough plan here, re: the Game Design thread.

What is the goal we're seeking to accomplish here? To bring further use of the elemental system? To create new tactics? Or just to make the spells feel different?

What sort of modifiers are we thinking of for spells?

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 08:17:43 pm »
I would like it if spells included more than just BUFF, DEBUFF, DAMAGE, HEAL.

e.g., most spells fall under the categories above, sanctuary, armor, bless, steelskin etc are all BUFFs that do essentially the same thing. Make you last longer in a fight. Slowness, corrupt armor, blindness, etc are all DEBUFFs that essentially do the same thing, make your opponent easier to kill. Fireball, burning hands, cone of cold, demonshreak, are essentially all DAMAGE spells, and then you've got your HEALs.

This is quite hard, but I can forsee spells such clone doing more than just creating a clone of yourself, what if you could order your clone to keep walking slowly in that direction so if someone was following you down west trade route, you could sneak into Troll Forest and leave your clone walking down the road, then the followed can become the follower.

Basically though I would at least like it if Priest, Mage and Esper all had their own damage spells, their own buffs, their own debuffs, that meant that no class was left out, but that gave a at least a little variation.

One goal should DEFINITELY be to restructure the elemental system. Adding elemental masteries that get better through use would be a great idea. So that if you spend a lot of time casting fireball, you will be better at fire spells, but if you start casting too many ice spells, your fire mastery goes down and your ice mastery goes up. Then, instead of just randomly assigning classes elemental strengths and weaknesses, it could be done through the elemental system.

Let's say characters have a total of 100 points that alter naturally through an elemental system. If I cast only fire spells for a few weeks, I might be able to get my fire mastery up to 90-100, but my ice mastery and spirit and death and whatever else might drop to -20 each. The only way I can improve them would be to use them, at the expense of my fire mastery.

That's just one idea, but the only real way of getting spells interesting is to incorporate elements properly.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 08:20:18 pm »
I picture Priests as having a wide array of BUFFS and HEALS available to them. Their strategy should be to amp up their defense to supreme levels, and heal whenever necessary to get through fights.

Mages on the other hand should have a good variety of DAMAGE spells to end the fights quickly without taking too much damage.

Espers should have lots of DEBUFFS and BUFFS, to both confuse/slow/blind the foe as well as increase their own speed to the point of being almost impossible to touch.

Offline Prometheus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 09:08:26 pm »
Right now my goal is to tweak what we have and not add something new into the elemental system. Ie for example more acid based spells. I don't think that tweaking would step on any future game designs.

Prometheus

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 09:22:33 pm »
If you want to do tweaking I suggest you follow Hayato's suggestions closely.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 10:19:48 pm »
You mention elemental proficiencies.. why not group say the good BUFFs and HEALs together with the weak DAMAGE and call them priestly, or spirit, or something, so that they work together.

Then mages get the strong DAMAGE ones, group them under mage or fire or whatever.  Then if you're trying to both BUFF up hard and use your best DAMAGE spells their groupings aren't going to be very compatible, so it doesn't do you any good.

Give each class an element maybe, use the same system with skills and have skills and spells all interlinked linked together in that fashion.  Maybe priestly spirit spells are more compatible with a warrior's rock skills, so it's not a bad idea to incorporate bits of both when the appropriate situation arises, assuming you have both trees.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 12:13:17 am »
That is a great idea. I have always wondered exactly HOW to implement a good elemental system but that right there would do it.

Offline Prometheus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 01:03:45 pm »
Okay I'm more than likely going to add a couple of water ie acid spells.

1) Acid touch I like so I'm going to get that in soon. Which would be a t1 spell.

2) Acid Rain I like too but I'm not sure about the restrictions. I might do something like acid ball an acid based fire ball which would be a t3 spell.

3) If I do acid rain it would be a t4 level spell. But the acid touch and acid ball will be added.

Prom

Offline Prometheus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 06:25:42 pm »
I'm going to unsticky this thread since someone else has been doing spells and spell multipliers.

Prometheus