Author Topic: Favorite Areas  (Read 22218 times)

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Favorite Areas
« on: March 02, 2008, 12:30:00 am »
What's your favorite area and why?  Do the mobs give out enormous xp?  Is the gold to die for (or at least if it was real gold you were carrying you'd have a heart attack and die from it)?  Is there a particular item that's just so good?  Are the quests just so damn awesome you can't live without doing them over and over?

I'd like to make an area that people would want to go to, but I need to find out what people are looking for in an area that makes it special to you.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Offline erwin

• View Profile
Re: Favorite Areas
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:38:09 am »
Some of a few..

Midlands - (Funky maze)
VE - rather good xp there, especially with earthquake

There's more..but I forgot.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 12:39:35 am »
[ramble]Dark planet rocks.. Because the cash it gives is far too much (1mill minimum per mob).. The EQ it gives is overpowered.. And yeah, that's basically why it rocks.  :-\

Victorian England and Punt are also pretty sweet, because their EQ is overpowered..  :-\

My actual favorite areas are Alpha Centauri and Valley of the Kings.. They're probly the hardest zones in the game, which makes them interesting.  ;D Even though the eq from both zones together isn't even as good as the stuff you can get from either VE or Punt, I like Alpha and VotK..[/ramble]

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 02:43:58 am »
Too much exp and gold and overpowered equipment are sorry reasons for liking a zone.
I really hope all of you aren't that shallow, if so, you should go and play DBZ instead of 4D. >:(

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 03:47:45 am »
Note the funny faces next to both those lines.. I should have added my [sarcasm] blah [/sarcasm] thingees round them. I don't actually like the zones.  :-X

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 09:09:34 am »
Well, I knew you were being sarcastic, Virisin, but that's mostly because I know you pretty well by now, and know what you like and dislike.

But sarcasm is always risky, especially in a text based environment, because so many people will take what you say at face value. And also because the sad fact is that the majority of mudders tend to focus on maxing their own power, rather than savoring the finer nuances of the game.

Also I think you picked bad examples to prove your point, Or maybe the saddest thing of all is that the examples you picked were good ones.

Victorian England is a totally awesome zone. It has just about everything, atmosphere, depth,intrigue, humor, grit, some very nice quests and one of the evilest mazes I've seen so far. But why do people talk about it and go there? Not because it is an awesome zone, but because of the overpowered equipment and some potent potions. Pretty much the same can be said about Punt.

I think it is sad, and it is one of the things that makes building a bit of a thankless task. People appreciate our zones for the wrong reasons, and are to quick to bitch about minor flaws while forgetting basic qualities.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 02:56:57 am by Molly »

Offline nanukimo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 09:37:19 pm »
I loved Fenzia because of theme of the town. but Id like to see more zones opened up in the future or more interactive zones instead of just a bunch of mute mobs running around :P

Offline kitolani

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 01:50:08 pm »
I'm having a blast in Mother Goose. It's both whimsical and comical, and in other areas very dark and intriguing. It's also challenging.
 At the risk of sounding typical, I'd like to see a time trap leading to feudal Japan. There may already be a similar existing zone that I've not yet happened upon, but the prospect of sipping tea in a geisha house when ninjas suddenly attack appeals to me.

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
  • Fizban, the Mangy Wizard
    • MSN Messenger - Fizban1216@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Fizban1216
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 01:59:09 pm »
At the risk of sounding typical, I'd like to see a time trap leading to feudal Japan. There may already be a similar existing zone that I've not yet happened upon, but the prospect of sipping tea in a geisha house when ninjas suddenly attack appeals to me.

Build it!

Offline Natalya B.

• MSN Messenger - miss_sol@live.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 05:02:27 pm »
My favorites over the years:

Victorian England
I only got off my ass and took a look at this zone this week, and by god it's lovely. Well written, well designed, and some neat ideas implemented into it. I also just love the whole "culture" and atmosphere of the zone, which really sucks me in. This zone, to me, is one of the zones that just proves the astounding rise in "building" that 4d has seen over years and years. Always there are new zones that capture the mind and seem to draw you in even better than the last zone. It's amazing. Standards of building are rising, and it's wonderful to see. I also love the fact that VE was just.. easy. Not in the fact the quests were too easy or something, but it was easy reading. There were no silly tricks or ploys, everything was there right before you, if you only just used your BRAIN. It forced you to think, but when you found the solution, it was never something stupid or unrealistic.

Egypt
For some reason I have a passion for Egypt RL, and when this zone came in, it was my favorite for many many years. I used to know it like the back of my hand, not so much anymore though - sadly. Again though, beautiful atmosphere and ideas. And by Egypt, I mean the entire area down there including VOTK. I don't want to say too much about Egypt, for fear of giving anything away. Check it out, honestly.

Seraphine's Zone (What the hell was the name of it again?)
Oh, right, Enchanted lands. I've always referred to it as just "Sera's zone". Again, yet another zone that raised the standard of building a bit. She provided magic in her building, as well as darkness, an abundance of exploration, atmosphere and culture. An astounding zone with fantastic ideas and beautiful quests. And also, a lot of pretty things :)

Those are some of my top favorites, and it all comes down to RP, atmosphere, and what I like personally (I love egypt, and I sometimes wish I'd lived in old english times. They had such gorgeous corsets and gowns...)  ;D

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 09:02:21 pm »
I should have added Enchanted lands to me ramble about zones with overpowered eq.  :-\

Offline vicks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 11:41:10 pm »
Enchanted Lands is beautiful isnt it? I am still not entirely sure how a zone can be beautiful when its text based, but it is. So well written.

The land full of dinosaurs is also great fun, partly because its well written (i like all the trees), and partly because most of the mobs in there are agro and can kill me in one hit, and its fun to go dinosaur dodging.....

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
  • Has delusions of adequacy
    • View Profile
    • Multiplayer Online Game Anyone?
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 03:55:33 am »
I really like the Greek Archipelego.

I think you can really tell the zones that the collective known as Molly makes.

I heard a proverb today I quite liked, it came from Myth Busters, which, I also quite like. Ha.

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few" - Suzuki

Offline Natalya B.

• MSN Messenger - miss_sol@live.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 02:37:47 pm »
I really like the Greek Archipelego.

I think you can really tell the zones that the collective known as Molly makes.

I heard a proverb today I quite liked, it came from Myth Busters, which, I also quite like. Ha.

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few" - Suzuki

I think I'd rather be a beginner than. Whilst, to an extent, proverb can be quite true, it's also sadly negative.

I'd rather like to think I have a bunch of possibilities just waiting at my doorstep.

I like being naive I think..

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 03:07:22 pm »
Maybe I'll actually post my favorite zones now.. Not just the overpowered zones:

Alpha Centauri is probably the best zone in the game..
Parts of Egypt are up up there for second - not the temple of Hatshepsut - but VOTK + Town of Two Sisters.
Midlands has always been a great zone.
Kush is a sweet zone.
Outback is good fun.
Little Italy.