Author Topic: Naval and space battles  (Read 11417 times)

Offline horus

• View Profile
Naval and space battles
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:00:55 am »
I should be completing a new vehicle system that will fix alot of issues that exists currently.

Each vehicle will have varying speeds, shields, and amount of damage they can take. These are dependent on the class of vehicles they are - frigates, battleships, starships, freighters etc. Upon the basic vehicles, there are some that can be modified, so that you can add special features:-
* Laser cannon - adding the ability to fire lasers/missiles at other ships. Its accuracy will be based on your dogfighting skills.
* Missile lock - adding the ability to lock onto your target. Once locked, even if the ship is a few rooms away, you can still fire your missiles, even if your target is not in direct line of sight. Missile lock will not work when the target is too far away.
* Radar lock - adding the ability to fire a GPS locator onto your target, giving you their location, even when they have jumped far away. Radar lock lasts for a limited time before the locator stops sending signals.
* Grapple - special lasers are fired onto your target, locking them onto your ship. Once locked, they cannot escape, and the ship with the larger engine will be the one determining which direction both are heading. You can now board the other ship and begin your raid!!!
* Hyperjump - adding the ability to automatically fly to different locations in space based on coordinates. Simply jump 4 20 and the ship will automatically map a route to take you to the room with the coordinates (x = 4, y = 20). For naval ships, simply typing jump/sail <island name> and the naval ships will map a route to that particular island and take you there automatically. The success of the route is based on your navigation subskill. Hyperjumping uses up more fuel.
* Crashproof - make your ship your special home. Your items will be saved over crashes - just like regular houses, except your ship can be raided. So make sure you hide your ship in a very hard place to find!
* Cloaking device - hide your ship from prying eyes. Your ship will be virtually impossible to detect until you start up your engine again.
* Heat sensor - scan space for cloaked ships. This will slow down space travel dramatically.
* Heat emitters - These standalone devices can be planted to give false signals.
* Stat enhances - these modules can increase the power of your ship's shield, increase the strength of your ship's hull, increase its speed or increase its fuel capacity.

These modules can be purchased at space stations throughout space or on certain planets, or through questing. Fuel can also be mined.

We hope to encourage players to enhance their ships, and also, to raid other player's ships, or wait until someone logs out and go hunting for hidden ships to steal.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Naval and space battles
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 05:15:26 pm »
Ooo.. we love you Horus.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:24:36 pm »
I've tried this out. Horus is a genius.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:02:01 am »
The best thing about the new vehicle design is that Horus has disposed of the three vehicle objects, (hatch, window and control), that were necessary before, to make the vehicles function. These objects inside the vehicles caused a lot of problems, for instance when a spaceship was destroyed they didn't always disappear with the ship, and so caused the new reset to screw up.

Since the new ships work without these extra objects, it now becomes possible to load them on the fly, so we can now have shops selling an unlimited number of spaceships, rather like the spacebikes. This is of course making spacetravel easier, but will probably also make the spacebikes redundant.
Also, since the ships have different classes, the ones sold in shops will be of the lowest class. The old ships, which are of higher classes with better armour, will be converted to the new design, and will still be kept in hangars on different home planets. It will also be possible to make ships with more than one room, like ships with enhanced cargo capacity. The main idea is to use the ships from the shop mainly as a transport means to find a better one by scouting the planets.

So why would you need a high class ship? Because these will be faster, have better firing power, and also resist impacts from meteorites and missiles better. If you want to become a successful spacefighter, you'll be dependant not only on your own dogfighting skills, but on how good your ship is. A Class 3 battle cruiser will resist more direct hits from missiles or meteorites than a small fighter, and a freighter would have extra room for cargo. On the other hand the fighter would be faster and easier to navigate.

There will be two subskills specially designed for spacepilots, (Navigation and Dogfighting). Both will be acquired from different stages of the Roger Young Quest. The Navigation skill will allow you to choose destinations for spacejumps, while the Dogfighting skill will reduce the delay when missiles are fired and increase your speed when moving.

Advanced Trading, Spacefights and Naval battles, as well as Piracy, could be some fun new pastimes with this new feature, now that the ships are planned to be crashproof but enterable for anyone, which means that they can also be raided. Naturally you'll want defences against people bordering your ship.
For instance, as Horus already indicated, you could buy camouflage and decoy devices if you leave the ship unguarded.
Personally I'd also like the following additions:
- the ability to hire mob guards to protect your cargo
- some kind of lock device to make bording the ship a bit harder.
- a homing device, which would send your ship to the set home location on command,
- a device that would automatically avoid meteorites,
- the ability to repair the ship's hull after direct missile hits. (This should not be instantaneous)

It's mostly in the Prehistoric and Future Dimensions that ships and piracy is planned, since both have large grids to sail/fly in.
I'd like the ships and their attributes to be different in the two Dimenstions for consistency and atmosphere. In Pre the warships would be Penteconters, Biremes and Triremes, and the missile launchers would be contraptions to throw large stones and burning material instead (catapults, arbalests, balisters and whatever they were called). Grapple in Pre would not be done by laser beams, but by hooks and chains, shot out from catapults.
Hyperjump would not be possible in Pre, but the command 'sail <island_name> would send the ship automatically on route to that destination.
The Dogfighting skill might need a different name in Pre, or at least the room messages should be generic for both Dimensions
This all will make the coding a bit more complicated, (different object types, room messages etc. are needed), but hopefully Horus can manage that.

Other planned additions will be pushcarts (containers on wheels) and floating discs. The pushcarts already exist, but have never been taken into common use, since they are not yet available in many places. The discs are for spellcaster, and will follow the owner around and carry stuff for them.

Not everyone might probably like everything with the planned changes however - there will be some drawbacks:

* With improved ships and pushcarts available, we'll probably raise the weight considerably on certain tradegoods, like tree logs, stone blocks and metal ore, so that you'd need a vehicle - or at least a pushcart or strong mount - to carry more than one of those. (I've always found it silly, that a player could walk around with dozens of supposedly heavy logs in inventory). In return we'd also raise the price of these trading assets, to make lumberjacking, mining and quarrying more worthwhile.

* Another thing that probably won't be so popular is that you'll need fuel to power the spaceships. We'll use the already existing gemclusters for this, and the amount of fuel needed - as well as the max speed of the ship - will depend on things like weight, size and armour class. As Horus already indicated, certain features, like hyperjump, using heat censors and cloaking would affect the speed of the ship and the amount of fuel needed.

* Thirdly, since the ships will be crashproof, we'll need to set a limit for how much cargo you can carry, or the memory might be too cluttered. The capacity would be different depending on the class of the ships, large carrying capacity would mean reduced speed and more fuel needed.

If you have more ideas how to improve the vehicles, please share them on this thread.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 06:22:30 am »
So keen to see this in action

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 05:51:57 pm »
*bump*
Actually, was wondering for some information on how to make these vehicles as I had a builder that wanted to and I've only looked at vehicles that were made and don't know for sure how to do it myself. 

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 03:32:38 pm »
Umm, I'm still waiting for Horus to finish that code.

He said he would, but not when...

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 12:45:36 pm »
Going to unsticky this since we have lots of sticky topics already. I can put it back if this gets attention again.

Prometheus

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 01:38:00 pm »
I think it may.
Thotter tells me he wants to work on our space system.

Which I really like. I think spacefights and space piracy has great potential... :)