Author Topic: Getting and Keeping new players  (Read 21138 times)

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Getting and Keeping new players
« on: September 24, 2009, 05:07:42 pm »
I keep trying to figure out why, with how 4D is - great personalized, non-stock areas, great quests, great scripts, great almost everything - why don't we have a great playerbase?  For how 4D is, we should have people crawling out of the woodwork to play.  I know, I know, everyone's going to those graphic games like WoW and.. erm.. others.. but seriously, that's not all of it.  We offer quit a bit of stuff that other muds don't, but why do they still have players while we don't?

I think I got my answer to that over the last couple of days.  It started when a level 39 newbie self-deleted.  Thankfully he created and logged in another character and let me know why he felt he needed to self delete (he said he thought I was nice so he wanted to let me know) and then proceeded afterwards to delete that character.   This is the same player that just days earlier had left the IMM's a note about how good he felt the mudschool was and that he'd not seen a better quest system.  As much as he liked the place, he felt he had to self-delete.  And if he felt that way, what about others that don't feel that strongly about it?

The answer to the question is that the players need to look at themselves for why we can't keep new players.  New players don't know secrets like run into a room and sit down so you don't get pushed from the room (btw: if I can help it, I will be getting a !push script on Recall just because of this - recall is for everyone, if you don't like it, you don't have to stay at recall.  Most of you have your own houses that I'm sure would like some attention). 

A helper's job is to help newbies and give the rewards that the newbies earn that are part of the helper's job catagory - like the reward for newbie vouchers.  The helper's job is not to try to "teach" the newbie a lesson on the value of tokens that he or she has legally owned by keeping the tokens for themselves for any length of time.  To me, that is abuse of the Helper's power.  By all means, teach the newbie the value of tokens by telling them what they can buy for it (or send them to the website and tell them to look at the priceguide which also lists what they can get).

Try making a female character once during a time where there are quite a few male characters on.  See how long it takes before you are "hit on" multiple times - almost to the point of harrassment.  Actually, sometimes it is TO the point of harrassment.  Please stop asking newbie female characters to type: "seduce <your character name here>".  I fell victim to that myself and I can tell you that even if it is a character, it is still wrong.  You do feel a bit used (and stupid for actually listening to someone that has been in the game for longer than you - and you wonder why I trust no-one these days), much as if you'd been used that way in RL (yeah, it's only a game, I get a bit attached to my characters - sue me).  When it happened to me, I did consider quitting.  Why would I want to stay on a game where the players were so childish to do that to a new player?  Personally, I think the romance code shouldn't work for players that haven't remoted at least once.  By that time hopefully they've learned a little bit about the characters/people in the game.

If a newbie is causing a scene and you feel it's gone too far, please see an immort if one is currently logged in.  As with the level 39 player that self-deleted, I really feel bad because I was actually logged in, but I had no idea what was going on until after he'd decided to delete.  I can't help if you don't tell me there's a problem.  I can't sit at recall every night "just in case" though you'll probably see me more there now that you have for a very long time.  I take offense at newbies being mistreated on my watch so now I'll just watch everyone.

I really hope you'll think about this the next time you see a new player and react accordingly.  If we want to build a playerbase, we have to let them learn about us (as characters) as much as they have to learn about the game.  But let's not scare them away right away by the above actions.

Kvetch

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Getting and Keeping new players
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 09:50:38 pm »
Helpers are there to help in a NON-biased way. If any helper can't be non-biased then I will be giving said helper an boot out of helpers. Or at least ask another helper to take over if you have an issue with an newbie.

Prometheus.

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 06:24:08 pm »
Or at least note Prometheus with what is going on. Or if you see another immortal on-line talk to them about it.

Prometheus

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 12:50:27 am »
I think one of the biggest things you need to remember is that this whole issue was not in fact a helper issue. It was a HERO issue vs. an unruly player who refused to adhere to warnings given not once, but multiple times, and not just by a hero but the other players within recall.

Mudding is a privilege, not a right. The same goes for Recall. If you cannot act like a civil human being, then you do not belong in recall where others who wish to interact humanly are. That is how it works. Clan halls have their own portals to the dimensions, so use them. The balls of HERO's have been cut, and the troublemaker knew that, and mocked it. How else should a hero act in the moment after multiple verbal warnings are given? A couple pushes should suffice. Don't wanna get pushed? Sit down like the rest of us have had to for over 10+ years.

Keeping newbies isn't hard at all so long as the game remains interesting to them, and our player base is constant enough to prevent loneliness form setting in. We are consistently going the extra 10 miles for newbies. However, we shouldn't stand for those who log on with the sole purpose to abuse the senior/new playerbase. That is now how you start your time with us. 4D has and will always remain about family. We love our drama, but we also love how the drama ends and we move on. Those who wish to only destroy what we have going there are nothing but air suckers that are not needed. Questing potential is at the bottom of the list when looking for players.

For 4D to remain as it has always been, we need GENUINE players with a certain quality. We didn't "lose" anything but a potential headache. That is my experienced opinion on the whole matter. The matter has been largely blown out of proportion, and I think that certain uppers and a particular player involved in blowing this whole thing up and forgotten the most important point:

I am a HERO first.

That is all I have to say on the matter now.

As for this !push script in recall. I think it's ridiculous, and un-needed. It has never existed, and should never exist. Why is it one waste of KB managed to cause such a ripple when we have had hundred of other cases of pushing out of recall in the past? Molly has always believed that issues amongst the players should remain within the players. Why are we seeing such "intervention"? Recall belongs to the playerbase as far as I am concerned, not the IMMs. I may be wrong, and am happy to be corrected by Molly whom I have great respect for. I'd like to think I know her by now, but then again I learn something new everyday :)

So, I implore you to remove the !push script. Players should not have to leave recall because of one jerk. the jerk should leave recall because the players said go. More importantly, the HERO said go.

Finally, I would implore you to also type help hero from time to time and remember why I have it. What it is I take so seriously, and why it is important. Hero was created to alleviate the workload of IMMs. Molly tries to stay out of player/clan business as much as possible, this is why HERO's in general exist. To set the standards created by what rules we do have, and to help keep the peace. With all do respect, if I were you I would do well to remember the intent behind the creation of HERO, and realize that I was only doing my job with what I had at the time. A simple silence for 5min would have been fine with me followed by a report saying 'I silenced this guy for this and this reason for 5min'. We would have all lived, and he would have seen how serious we are. I am all about zero tolerance when it comes to outlandish bad behavior. Harassment, sexual or otherwise is not tolerated. We need to remember that there are human beings behind the keyboard. Yes, we are a game. Yes, we all need thick skin at times. No, we do not have to stand for abuse of any kind nor disrespect regardless of the medium used (in our case, the internet).

You may not agree, but this is how I run things IRL as well. I am a leader of soldiers, and I take it very seriously even if I only work in a hospital. We are adults, and should act thus. Respect of others should be uppermost in our minds, and we should always uphold the standards.

Yours truly,

Tocharaeh D'Araesth
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 02:15:07 am »
oh, and real quick- because apparently certain people haven't ever taken an english course (not an english as a second language course, so you swedish friends of mine are not targeted in this), my post does NOT say I get to choose who gets to play or not. I am merely here to help enforce the rules and standards already set by the IMPs. that is all. Nothing more, nothing less.

-toch
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth

Offline Britnoth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 05:48:05 am »
Quote from: Tocharaeh
We didn't "lose" anything but a potential headache. That is my experienced opinion on the whole matter.

Opinion  [uh-pin-yuhn]
–noun 1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

So based on your opinion, you decided someone was likely to be a problem in the future - so treating him badly, causing him to delete?

It was a HERO issue
The balls of HERO's have been cut
I am a HERO first.
More importantly, the HERO said go.
the intent behind the creation of HERO

I agree, the 'hero' is the issue here.
"I don't like having rules that cannot be enforced, that just makes people lose respect for all rules." - Molly

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 10:14:31 am »
Please take the personal quarrel off the Forum boards.

Offline Britnoth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 09:03:25 pm »
This thread is about keeping new players, and the behaviour of unnamed older players; some that are given the responsibility to help and encourage new players so they might stay. Noone was named, it was Tocharaeh himself that decided to be public. Now we have a helper 'strike' - I can't see how this isn't making things even more public.
???

I agree with the opening post, alot of the reasons that people do not stay are from part of the existing player base.

It has been this way for as long as I've known 4D. If this is labelled as 'a personal quarrel' and not to be discussed, then I don't see how it is going to change.
"I don't like having rules that cannot be enforced, that just makes people lose respect for all rules." - Molly

Offline horus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 12:41:07 pm »
Britnoth, you flamed someone personally and thats not acceptable.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 12:21:15 am »
The answer is to give Virisin a HERO flag and an HoF statue, clearly.

Also Britnoth has always been a retard this is nothing new.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 04:08:14 am »
Like I already said, please refrain from personal attacks in the discussion threads.

And perhaps it would help in keeping more players, if you tried to do the same in-game. A friendly atmosphere generally attracts more people than a hostile one.

Offline kitolani

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 05:55:01 pm »
Another thing that'd be good to think about when trying to lasso new players is not to immediately involve them in pre-existing mud drama, or general personal matters that are already familiar to oldbies. They don't care. Shoot, half the other players could care less either. Nobody cares with whom you do not agree, and having it out with them over the newbie channel is lame.
Try not to weird them out already! I've met some of the most amazing people here on this mud and have enjoyed being a part of the game, and would love to have new players able to say the same.

When noobs ask questions, and this isn't just directed at helpers because EVERYBODY should help:
Be direct. Don't perv.
Interact with them without giving copious amounts of hand-outs.
Enjoy the intensely descriptive game we call 4D!  ;D

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 12:42:35 am »
*claps in approval*
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 09:40:35 am »
See suggestions forums, many ideas in favor of keeping new players, I think clans will be a major factor. And making the first tier be way easy to level, make them be like oo this is nice.
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here

Offline Natalya B.

• MSN Messenger - miss_sol@live.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 10:52:04 am »
"Newbie" area needs updating or redesigning. Just... not entirely sure how =o

Every other "problem" I can think of in relation to keeping new players all comes down to the environment and the people.. which I have no solutions for. The playerbase is small, which isn't attractive to newcomers, there's not a lot of events, there's almost no PVP because it's so restricted and again.. no playerbase, and... yeah.

Only other thing I can think of is along the lines of improving customer service. But that mainly falls under "keeping" players.