Author Topic: Non DG-scripts building wishlist  (Read 17835 times)

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Non DG-scripts building wishlist
« on: October 25, 2009, 12:02:19 pm »
Ok, my wishlist for DG scripts isn't seeming to pop into my head so here's my building wishlist  Anyone can add to this as they see fit:

1) I want exits that have doors to be able to have 2 descripts - one when the door is closed and one when the door is open. Right now you have to choose whether to describe the door (and old oak door is here) which is odd if the door is open and you want to see beyond it without scan or what the player would be able to make out by looking through the open door (a washed out bedroom is here) which is odd if the door is closed (how do you know it's a washed out bedroom?).

2)  I would like !rent items to be able to be placed in containers.  This would make it easier for me to have !rent quest items that need to be placed in a particular location that happens to be a container.

3) I would like !display items in objects to be getable... ok, maybe that's over the top...

I need a break to reset my brain.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Non DG-scripts building wishlist
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:06:40 pm »
Here are a couple of things that I'd like to see:

1. You should be able to look at an item that someone is wearing, wielding or has in inventory. If you see a person having a cool item, it would be nice to also get a chance to take a closer look at it.

2. Smell, taste and feel desc should work on objects that are on the ground, not just when you have them in inventory.

I don't think the above things work now, unless they have been fixed recently.

3. I'd really like the vehicle code, (including the weapon and armour system for ships) to be finished soon, and it should also include telechinesy).

As for Kvetch's wish about !display objects being getable, that can easily be done with a script that switches into a new object with a TAKE flag on the command 'get <item-name>' or even 'get all'. I don't think they should be generally getable - that could screw things up in other cases.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 01:38:19 pm »
We need special bags that are questy that grant like say -10%- -30% to total weight carried in the bag. So if a bag has a maximum of 500 and has a -30% bonus then it is really only 350lbs. I've always liked these kinds of bags and they should be questy. In fact one such bag should be the famous bag of aeolus...and I think you should do a quest to get it...instead of just killing him. That's my personal thought.

Also scabbards. I think we should have a scabbard eq slot added to allow players to sheath an extra weapon that is displayed alongside their other equipment. You don't get any bonuses from sheathing the weapon, obviously you need to wield it to do so. But it would look nice to be able to walk around with the Orcrist that you're not using at the time to just be sheathed at your side. I know scabbards do exist, but they're useless containers. I'm looking for an actual EQ slot to be added that is more for aesthetics than anything. Also allow the player to customize the scabbard slot like so:

type wear scabbard in a jeweled scabbard

<worn on their waist>   Something...
<worn on their hips>     Something...
<sheathed at their side>    The Omega Sword rests in a jeweled scabbard
<worn on their legs>     Something...
<worn on their feet>     Something...

Again the sole purpose of this is to allow a player to sheath a weapon, and aesthetics. Maybe quest for the eq slot? That should be cool.

Anyway those are my two ideas.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline horus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 05:12:41 am »
Hmmm, these are not building requests...

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 12:33:52 pm »
touche...but

I WILL BE HEARD! teehee

No wait. It's a building request. Should be able to toggle these suggested weight bonuses on containers. As for the extra wear loc...it's a semi build request. We could do something like make actual sheaths/scabbards that people would have to wear iin the wear_loc. for example:

Britnoth picks up a tarnished scabbard.
Britnoth attaches the tarnished scabbard to his belt. (wear scabbard)
Britnoth sheaths The Omega Sword. (sheath omega)

I think it would be really cool to have a new wear_loc with a totally new function. Maybe certain famous swords, daggers, stalves around 4D could be partnered with their own types of scabbards/sheathings/coverings? It think it would be neato.

See? that's a building request now :D
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 01:39:49 am »
In my earlier, not so responsible days, in my first Mud, Age of Chivalry, I made a healing pill with negative weight, -1,  for my Clan HQ.
Originally it was meant mostly as a joke, and I didn't fully grasp the consequenses, since I was totally inexperienced both as a builder and a player.

Anyhow, the pills somehow slipped through the check into the gameport, and my not so inexperienced Clan members immediately realised the potential and gleefully started to hoard them. As a consequence their ability to carry weight grew for each pill they added to their bags, and in the end they could not only carry a ridiculous amount of heals, but also of other items. Need I say that it totally unbalanced the mud, and that for a while - until we got busted - my Clan was the most successful in the short history of that Mud.

So what is the moral of this old cheat story? Probably that after this I grew rather wary of weight bonuses, since like most 'features' it can have unexpectedly large effects, when someone starts to abuse them in excess.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 04:33:03 pm »
I totally agree that if we're not careful, someone will abuse the hell out of something. However, I have faith in our number one coder who can probably make a stable weight bonus system for quest containters. I think container weight bonuses could really benefit the mud since everything weighs so much.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 04:20:25 am »
Molly is a cheater, Molly is a cheater! :-*

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 10:36:45 pm »
More over the top building thoughts.

1) Seasons.  I would like to make some quests be seasonal (mud seasonal that is) and along with that, I'd like to be able to make rooms change with the seasons.  I know, I'm silly.

2) Descriptions that can only be seen with certain things.  I tried to do something like this is the haunted house and it was ok, but what I'd really like is for someone that had a particular item to get a room description that was completely different than what everyone else would see.  An example would be this - let's use an illusion spell that's set up so most people see this nice lovely sitting room as exaclty that - a nice lovely sitting room with a couch, chairs, loveseat (woot!), plus any other lovely amenities.  Someone comes in with a "lantern of dispell illusion" and suddenly everyone in the room (or if it's goggles of dispell illusion only the character with the goggles) sees the room as it really is - a decrept run down evil little place where the furniture itself is alive and will gobble you down if you sit in it.  Another example would be a blacklight and messages written in ink that only blacklight can see.

3) Gosh, I don't know, I had more but now they flew away.  Sorry, will have to stick with 2.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 02:45:27 am »
I generally agree about seasons, that's something I'd really like too. In particular I'd like fruits and berries to only ripe in autumn, since that would be a nice quest addition.
And of course, just as with moon phases, we need an addition to the DG_code, so that you can search for the season variable.
I'm not so sure about changing room descs though - we already have the option to set day/night descs, and although that is a nice feature, I doubt it will be used in many rooms. Making 4 more room descs options for seasons doesn't really feel feasible. The main desc would still have to be neutral too.

It can easier be done with scripts. I actually made a feature like that years ago, in the orchard south of Olde Yorke. The fruit trees there are supposed to have naked branches in winter, flower in spring, be lush green in summer, and set fruit in autumn. Then they drop their leaves and the cycle starts again. I did the scripts with waits, using 4 different tree objects, but it would of course be a lot more accurate if the scripts could call for a season variable.

I have a similar objection to the magic glasses idea. That could also be made with two scripts and some work. You'd need an enter script, and if you are wearing the glasses, it would make you blink when entering the room, and then display the alternate desc in a serie of %send% %actor% lines, green coloured for the effect. Then you'd also need a command script, that would display the same alternate desc at the command 'look'.
Amber used something like this for the signs in her VE maze, but of course she didn't need to colour those descs green.

All in all, I think both the ideas are better suited for the scripting board. But I still want the seasons.
Do you hear me, Anubis?

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hidden doors not really hidden
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 04:02:05 am »
Here is something that I would like; hidden doors that aren't immediately exposed by the code.

As it is, making a door hidden in OLC removes the exit desc you set on it, making it the generec 'You see nothing special'.

Since ambitious builders put exit descs in all directions, not just the ones that you can walk in, this makes the hidden door far from hidden in practice. Even if all you normally have to do to reveal a hidden door is to type SEARCH a couple of times, not all players bother to do that in all rooms. But seing a desc like that in an otherwise fully descripted room is like a great sign to any experienced player, telling them: 'There's a hidden door in that direction'.

So could we plese have the normal exit desc kept when a door is set as HIDDEN in zedit?

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 05:10:45 pm »
Seasons would be good for woodsing and lumberjacking stuff too.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 05:17:57 pm »
Also I agree with what Molly said, noticing 'you see nothing special here' in 4d is generally a pretty good indication that there is something there.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 08:49:30 am »
I'd like to have a bodyguard flag to put on mobs so they will guard mob X from harm.  Kinda like how Toch and I have been trying to use the helper flag, but it don't work that way.  I would also like there to be a way for this to allow them to "guard" more than one person - say for example, my knights in the dragon fort - they should guard most of the people of the fort because it is their job to guard them from harm.  Some outsider comes in and starts attackign people, they should respond by attacking the outsider instead of saying "Sherri, I know you been here all your life, but since X's alignment is closer than mine, I feel I must help him kill you."

Just my 2 cents.  I know this is probably some part of Anubis's overall AI plan which comes after the main code change, but just  thought I'd drop it here.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 04:57:15 pm »
LOL, kvetch I love you. you post made me giggle.

Yeah, I totally agree with Kvetchie on this.

Could we get maybe a simple Bodyguard function in the medit that works like segments? We can list all mobs they are supposed to protect. That would be super duper.
Maybe even include a blanket function in the bodyguard that allows up to give a specific range say 44900-44999, which would mean it protects all within its respective zone being 449.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth