Author Topic: Things the players would like to see changed or implemented. (Recovered)  (Read 30458 times)

Offline erwin

• View Profile
Re: Things the players would like to see changed or implemented. (Recovered)
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 09:01:11 am »
Yes, but that by itself shouldn't make thorn shield overpowered.

Example. I do perhaps 1,000 damage per encircle, but if on a killing blow I do perhaps, 4,000 damage, I'd expect thorn shield to do 4 times as much damage.

In this case, it shouldn't be thorn shield that's the problem, but the damage done by the killing blow which causes the extra damage caused by thorn shield.

But I'd agree something would have to be changed, either with the damage done by the killing blow, or thorn shield's equation.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:03:36 am by erwin »

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 02:14:34 pm »
I don't agree with any change to thorn shield.

You do more damage, you take more damage, but only with short weapons. It's another class strategy, if we were to nerf thorn shield, Rangers really would be crap. Currently everyone thinks Rangers suck because they don't get an uber tier 4 skill like encircle, cleave or behead. Let me explain why they ARE good:

Rangers get short blade and longblade, that means a Ranger can start the fight with a sweet backstab using short weapons, switch to longweapons and start kicking, Rangers don't have to worry about thorn shield. The reason thorn shield does a lot of damage to players that do a lot of damage is to give a slight drawback to encircle..

You do over 4k damage with an encircle, either stop using them against mobs that have thorn shield, or switch to long weapons.

Offline nanukimo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 05:01:45 pm »
Ive manage to hit over 7k without a killing blow and if I hit that on a mob with thorn shield I dont even think I want to know how much damage It would do to me.I shouldn't have to use Long blades. Rogues are not a long blade class and Its silly that the stronger I get that I would still get the same equation applied to me. Its not that big of a deal if your not doing that much damage but considering i usually encircle from 4-7k depending on mobs I get screwed to anything when it has thorn shield. And viri you change your mind all the damn time. I wish I could bring up old posts with you agreeing about that in the past, when Endymion thornshield did 1k damage in PK. And if you dont' see anything wrong with 1k damage in Pk or 4284 damage in non pk from a shield with fully spelled up then  your a fool. I agree the more damage you do more you should get back but it needs to be tweakened down after you hit so high.

Like I said before it doesn't bother you because you don't leave recall to even care.

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
  • Has delusions of adequacy
    • View Profile
    • Multiplayer Online Game Anyone?
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 07:45:54 pm »
Code: [Select]
int shield_check(Character *ch, Character *vict, int type, int w_type) {
    int success = FALSE;
    struct affected_type af;
    int armor_rating = 0; //highest armor rating is 50
    int lev = GET_LEVEL(vict);
    int ded = (GET_POS(vict) <= POS_STUNNED);
    int sht = is_short_wep(GET_EQ(ch, WEAR_WIELD));
    global_dam = (ded? global_dam : global_dam/5);
    if (!HERE(ch,vict))
        return 0;

if (HERE(ch, vict) && is_short_wep(GET_EQ(ch, WEAR_WIELD)) && AFF_FLAGGED(vict, AFF_SHIELD_ICE) && !affected_by_spell(ch, SPELL_PROT_COLD)) {
        if (!number(0, 5) && !AFF_FLAGGED(ch, AFF_FROZEN)) {
            //SET_BIT_AR(AFF_FLAGS(vict), AFF_FROZEN);
            act("You freeze as you touch $N's shield of ice.", FALSE, ch, 0 , vict, TO_CHAR);
            act("$N is frozen as $E touches $N's shield of ice.", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_NOTVICT);
            act("$N is frozen as $E touches your shield of ice.", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_VICT);
            af.location = APPLY_SPEED;
            af.expire = HOURS_TO_EXPIRE(1);
            af.modifier = -2 * (GET_LEVEL(vict)+1);
            af.bitvector = AFF_FROZEN;
            af.type = SPELL_DG_AFFECT;
            affect_to_char(ch, &af);
        }
    }

switch (type) {
    case SHIELD_BLOCK:
        armor_rating = MIN(40, (AFF_FLAGGED(vict, AFF_SHIELD_STATIC) ? 2*apply_ac(vict, WEAR_SHIELD) : apply_ac(vict, WEAR_SHIELD)));

success = (armor_rating ? (number(0, 100) < armor_rating) : 0);
        if (success) {
            if (IS_SPELL_ATK(w_type) || IS_SPELL_CAST(w_type)) {
                act("$N deflects your magic with $S shield!", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_CHAR);
                act("You deflect $n's magic with your shield!", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_VICT);
            } else {
                act("$N blocks your attack with $S shield!", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_CHAR);
                act("You block $n's attack with your shield!", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_VICT);
            }
        }
        break;
    case SHIELD_REFLECT:
        if (AFF_FLAGGED(vict, AFF_FIRE_SHIELD) && (GET_EQ(ch, WEAR_WIELD) && !sht)  && (number(1, 81) < lev || ded)) {
            act("$N scorches you with $S fire shield.", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_CHAR);
            act("You scorch $n with your fire shield.", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_VICT);
            return damage(vict, ch, global_dam, TYPE_UNDEFINED);
        } else if (AFF_FLAGGED(vict, AFF_SHIELD_THORNS) && (GET_EQ(ch, WEAR_WIELD) && sht)  && (number(1, 81) < lev || ded)) {
            act("You are shredded by $N's whirling barrier of thorns!", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_CHAR);
            act("You shred $n with your whirling barrier of thorns!", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_VICT);
        } else if (AFF_FLAGGED(vict, AFF_SHIELD_MIRROR) && (IS_SPELL_ATK(w_type) || IS_SPELL_CAST(w_type)) && (number(1, 81) < lev || ded)) {
            act("$N's mirror shield reflects your magic back at you!", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_CHAR);
            act("You bounce $n's magic right back at $m!", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_VICT);
        }

break;
    case SHIELD_EVADE:
        if (AFF_FLAGGED(vict, AFF_SHIELD_HOLY) && (GET_EQ(ch, WEAR_WIELD) && !sht) && (number(1, 101) < lev || ded)) {
            act("A golden light moves $N out of your reach!", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_CHAR);
            act("A golden light moves you out of $n's reach!", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_VICT);
            success = TRUE;
        }

break;
    default:
        break;
    }
    return success;
}

This is the code from the shield check.
global_dam = the damage that was taken by vict because of ch
So the damage you get attacked with is 20% of the damage you give to them at the moment.
But your damage reduction modifiers do affect how much of that 20% you end up actually taking.

I thought I would put the code up, because this is an interesting topic and if you would like to suggest a tweak on any of the parts of this, you are welcome.

If I can see a way that they would work with 4D, we will add them.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 12:12:19 am »
Nanu, thorn shield is one of the weaknesses to Rogues. Otherwise you'd be totally invincible.. 7k damage? That's a lot. Read my post again, it answers everything you restated.

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
  • Fizban, the Mangy Wizard
    • MSN Messenger - Fizban1216@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Fizban1216
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 12:21:47 am »
No, it doesn't. Thorn shield dealt over 4,000 to him, that would mean he hit for over 20,000, which he hands down didn't. Which means the spell is indeed bugged somehow.

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
  • Fizban, the Mangy Wizard
    • MSN Messenger - Fizban1216@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Fizban1216
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 12:23:42 am »
I propose the following change to thorn shield. First off, get it so it is definitely dealing 20%, secondly, cap the damage at 20% of the opponents hp. By this I mean: I propose hitting a mob with 500 hp for 7000 deals 100 to you, not 1400, with 100 being 20% of 500.

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 12:32:47 am »
Code: [Select]
global_dam = (ded? global_dam : global_dam/5);
In that line it is saying, if they are dead, then you do 100% of the damage back from thorn shield.

Maybe, you guys don't want that to happen huh?

Maybe I will chaange it to be only 20% instead of 100% on dead peeps.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 03:32:10 pm »
I think mob gold needs to be reduced by about 50%.. It's still too high.

Offline kitolani

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 04:01:53 pm »
I think mob gold needs to be reduced by about 50%.. It's still too high.
Won't somebody please think of the lowbies!?! By the end of three hunting sessions I probably have enough gold to practice five times or so before I'm completely out of gold again. If you're going to reduce the amount of gold carried by the mobs, please reduce the amount of gold sucked from practice gains. :-\

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 04:25:55 pm »
Maybe just the mobs on dark planet need to give no gold then.. I gain 100mill in a couple minutes smashing my way through there.

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I would think with the Dark Planet gold would be something the builder of the zone would need to tweak or maybe Molly would. Maybe I should have named this thread coding things you would like added :)

Prometheus.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I rather think you should tweak the equation that calculates the amount of gold you get from mobs dependent on their level.  Leave the 'normal' mobs as they are, for the newbies to survive, and reduce the amount you get from ubermobs considerably. Dark Planet is not the only zone with lots of high powered mobs.

There is of course also the option to set more mobs as type exotic in OLC, and define the gold they drop to zero, which might be something more Builders could think about when creating their zone.

If Builders generally would think more about balance and what is good for the Mud in general than how best to lure more players into their zone, we'd have less of these problems. If the players like your zone simply because the equipment is overpowered and the mobs drop too much gold, you should be ashamed of yourself, not proud.
:P

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
We have some stat counters in the game which i use to record a few menial things.

However, I think before we tweak gold, we need the stats on:
- Gold obtained by players per day
- Gold spent by players per day
- Gold obtained per zone
- Gold spent per zone

By having this data, we can see the gold turnover of the game, and adjust the available gold in the game accordingly.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
And when players test a zone and they find animals dropping gold.. that should be on the list of errors.  I found on my last zone mobs were dropping gold that shouldn't have been.  Actually, I still don't know why they were and I'm hoping they aren't still as I went in and manually put the gold to 0 (oh, and fixed the exotic and animal thing while I was in there).  I just mention this because none of my playtesters said anything, I just happened to be watching one and caught it.  *mwahahaha*

Speaking of.. I do think that if you ever find animals in any of the zone dropping gold, it should be considered a "typo" and reported.  Still don't know how those furry critters carry that much gold unless it's in their bellies and some of them shouldn't be able to move because of how much gold they drop.