Author Topic: Fleeing Experince  (Read 17318 times)

Offline Darvus

• View Profile
Fleeing Experince
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:27:00 pm »
I was fighting a thief earlier and for the life of me, I couldn't snare him. I was winning, but when I got him down to 20% health... he fled.  >:(
What this meant was tha I had to chase him down, and they're not easy to chase. So, I was wondering. "Why didn't I get experience for that?" After all, you lose experience when you flee. So, you should gain it when others flee, right?

Offline kitolani

• View Profile
Re: Fleeing Experince
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 06:37:14 pm »
As a strapping thief yourself, I'm sure you don't have THAT much trouble tracking them down.
Thieves will be thieves. Having to chase down your exp should just be extra motivation to get your purse back!

Offline Darvus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:43:18 pm »
Meh... Doesn't answer my question.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 08:30:17 pm »
Nono, you don't gain xp when others flee.  AFter all, those monsters don't get xp when YOU flee do they?  Hmm.. maybe I should ask the coders that before I go making assumptions.  ;)

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 10:54:56 pm »
Who doesn't like to hunt their prey? It's not about the experience gained. It's about the thrill of the hunt, and most importantly- prolonging the suffering of said prey!

FLee on, I say! Imma get ya sooner or later.

-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline Darvus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:25:06 pm »
But fleeing counts as a defeat, right? That's why you lose experience whe you do it. So someone else fleeing is a victory. Victory equals gained experience.
And you're starting to freak me out, Toch.

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 12:46:43 am »
If you and i were fighting, and you had to flee (which you would  ;)), just because you had a loss does not mean I had a victory.  While YOU had a loss, all i got was an inconvenience in having to wait to find you again and then actually finish the job.  My only victory would come from hunting you down and slicing off your head.

So no, you should not gain experience for making someone else flee.  Plus, if that were implemented, it could totally be taken advantage of.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 01:47:39 am »
Just learn snare damnit. And if they have trap aware..well it's not 100% all of the time.

Final point: Get powerful enough to almost 1hit kill them :P

Oh...and poison_4 is great.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 07:53:01 am »
Get powerful enough to almost 1hit kill them :P

bah, you just said everything i wanted to in 8ish words and a smiley face

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 03:59:45 pm »
it's an art form.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth

Offline Tor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 06:38:41 pm »
Well and directly stated, Tocharaeh.

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 07:27:00 pm »
Mobs are fixed experience I don't see a reason why they would lose experience. And I don't see a reason for it to be coded that you gain xp for a mob fleeing. And even if it was coded it wouldn't be worth enough to offset if you flee. Maybe one of the other coders might disagree with me.

Prometheus

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 09:16:11 pm »
Why lose experience for fleeing anyways? Not everyone has the skill retreat, GM's Warrior's and Rangers only. So... come new code unless there is another way to escape a battle or retreat is given to all classes, we'll always flee on tough mobs and therefore always lose experience...

But here is an idea, every time you flee, you lose experience... like now. However, the total experience received from the kill has those flee's tacked onto it. So let's say Gojira becomes more ultra than he is now because we will undoubtedly need to group to kill him. And say everytime the group flee's his experience becomes more and more. This group gives up and another group comes along and kills him and they get all that extra experience because the mob was just that good.  This solution gives the individual a chance to get that exp back  if they finish the mob off, or just take their losses and give someone else the benefit of their loss.
...just a thought.
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 12:12:18 am »
Actually, I've never understood WHY fleeing always made you lose xp. I mean, so because you flee you suddenly forgot how to wield a sword better? Dodge better? Experience is based on the idea that somehow through a fight you've gained new information which is digested be it mental memory, muscle memory, or spiritual memory. So why lose XP because you flee? Fleeing would mean you've survived and thus allowed said information to remain. Now, DYING would certainly cause you to lose experience since we are technically reincarnated/restored to a point before death- therefore all new information gained would be lost.

Just my 2 cents.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 09:10:15 am »
yeah, but then by fleeing you also gain more information on how to survive, so maybe you should GAIN exp!!!

(disclaimer: I don't actually think you should gain exp for fleeing)