Author Topic: Restring of Statted Equip  (Read 11263 times)

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
Restring of Statted Equip
« on: August 01, 2010, 08:12:38 pm »
Ok, so I've been thinking about this for a few days, then asked Kvetch about it, and decided to make a post about it. 

The topic:  A middle ground between perz and restring.

The question:  Why can't statted equipment get a restring, other than that is current policy?  Rp equipment is all the same vnum, yet people can have different restrings all on the same rp head item, so why not on our statted equip?

The explanation:  Being able to get a different name on your statted equipment for a larger fee than just getting a restrung rp equip.  (here's another possible use for gold... this is something I would definitely spend gold on, even if it were harder to get)

The reason:  We've all been a part of the discussion that talks about seeing the weirdest combination of equipment on a single person, just because things from different quests and zones don't have to necessarily work together aesthetically.  This leads to some funky lookin outfits!  :o  Buy why shouldn't there be an option to have your statted equipment restrung?  This could lead to people having their own unique coordinated look, without having to sacrifice all their statted equipment.  I would like to go out looking like what I think Asmo should look like (clothing wise), but still have all my stats and earned equipment on me.

The difference:  While a perz is essentially the same thing, if you ever lose your perzed equipment, you can buy it back for a fee.  This would not be the case with this restrung statted equipment.  Because its not perzed, it would be lost and you would have to go through the quest/find the equip again to recover it.  Of course, you could get a perzed item restrung, and if you lost that, you could buy back the perz with the title of what it was perzed at.  Also, I think this would be a great option for artis.  You could rename your artis this way to fit your character's theme, and not be able to buy them back when they finally poof, making everybody happy!   ;D

The response:  you tell me!

Offline Tor

• View Profile
Re: Restring of Statted Equip
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 07:48:59 am »
It sounds like a reasonable idea to me.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 01:19:24 am »
you can restring statted equip for 1 silver i think. just can't reload it after it's gone

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 02:04:03 am »
This idea has actually been raised some years before.
As I remember how the discussion went back then, the main objection was that with the ability to restring normal equipment for a lesser price, nobody would bother buy perzes any more, and gold sink was less interesting than a token sink.

Personally I was not against offering the option back then, and I'm still not against it, but we had a staff vote at that time and some of the imms were very much against it, in fact they were so  vehemently against it that we dropped the idea.

Anyhow, this is something I could consider myself, but there might be drawbacks that aren't immediately apparent, so we need more input before we decide. Especially from the staff, and in particular from those that actually work with perzes and restrings, which nowadays means Diandra and Kvetch, I never do them myself.

So let's see some opinions.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 03:46:47 am »
could swear i have restrung statted equipment before lots

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 05:39:21 pm »
...anyone else? 
...Bueller?
...Bueller?

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 04:20:00 am »
Great idea, I've seen this done once on a mud via a machine. Simply involved a command of something like this for a random hat you have. Restring hat a blue hat  this would then deduct the cost automatically and restring the item to a blue hat. I'm this is doable here, and may even be accomplished through scripts. Any script expert out there know if this is capable. Thanks.
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here

Offline horus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 10:15:16 am »
I have always wondered why there should be any difference whatsoever. Make restrings and perzes the same price.

Loria

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 03:42:52 pm »
it would be great if it were actually affordable to change one's whole outfit. *whine, complain*

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 08:01:32 pm »
I think the difference between restrings and perzes is, that you can't reload a restring per say, you have to re obtain the item you lost to restring. perzes once restrung, you can reload at any point you lose it without having to redo the quest again.
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 10:05:57 pm »
The reason why is because restring just changes the way that one item that YOU carry looks (I don't know how it's coded to do it, my brain doesn't comprehend it) while keeping the same vnum.  A perz is actually a whole new vnum.  Which is why we can't reload restrings - that item is gone - while we can perz's.