Author Topic: Something NEW in building  (Read 12902 times)

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Something NEW in building
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:07:47 pm »
I've had quite a few people ask, when building areas "How can we get things to change" (for example a haunted forest that is fixed by a player so it is no longer haunted - then the player goes back and it should still not be haunted...).  The answer has always been, well, you have to create 2 sets of rooms...

NO LONGER!!!!
Now, with the introduction of
R) Descriptions : Quests flagged - NOT SET

you can do exactly that. 

When you're in redit and you type R it will open up this table:
1) Quest Type: 0
2) Quest Keywords:
<NONE>
3) Room Description:
<NONE>
 4) Goto next quest description: <NOT SET>

So, it looks like you could do multiple layers in that room since it lets you put in more than one quest description.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Something NEW in building
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:20:12 pm »
When you're under R, hitting 1 will give you the quest type choices of:
1) Zone wide quest flag
2) Player only quest flag

A zone wide quest flag would be something like, when the floodgates open, the whole zone is flooded until (still undecided) the zone resets or the mud reboots (I'm in favor of until the mud reboots).
Player only quest flag would be that only the player sees the new description - even in a group.

The Quest Keywords is the variable that you have set on the player so they get the new description.

Room Description is what they get when they have that quest keyword on them.

Any questions, feel free to ask.  :)

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:08:25 am »
Hmm is this feature already in? How does this work with hidden containers and hidden objects for scripts? Are they always there, and just the description changes for clues for it, or do they load along with the room description for a player with the flag? For instance you do something in a quest and a room is destroyed, now there is rubble, you can get something from the rubble now, but there wasn't any rubble prior to that change happening? Trying to figure out how best to work that.
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:56:01 pm »
It hasn't been used yet.  As far as I know the code for it is even newer than Molly's Druid quest.  As for what you're suggesting, I think you coild work a script around it.  But this code itself wouldn't do that.  The code is merely for the change in appearance od rooms, not in the loading of objects.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 01:18:45 am »
It's a new tool, and a good one.
But it needs to be used with caution.

Like with all building tools, it's up to the Builder to make sure that everything in the room checks out when using it.

Personally I would be wary of using it in a room with hidden containers or portals, it would most likely screw things up, because the hidden objects would still be in the room, even if the room desc changed. That could cause a problem in some cases, but not in all.

It could for instance work in a flooded area, but most likely not in a city that was turned to rubble.

Anyhow - these things are for the builder to decide - as always.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 10:13:19 pm »
Actually what is amazing is that this cut down on building time for me! I can now basically just insert whatever into the quest area affected rather than use up vnums. So stoked.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 03:28:38 pm »
Erm... it seems this has been taken out just when I was about to attempt to use it.  Am looking in to see what's going on with it, but currently there is no choice R under redit.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 04:43:59 pm »
I really wish the coders would consult with us Builders before changing or taking out things that could affect the zones.

In this case the feature hadn't been used yet, so it's no carastrophy, but what if it had been and a quest would have been ruined?

Like Kvetch I had plans to test it in the Utopia zone that I am currently working on, so it was a bit of a disappointment that it seems to have gone poof.

It seemed like a nice enough feature, so why on earth was it removed?