Author Topic: When is a trigger a bot?  (Read 9082 times)

Loria

When is a trigger a bot?
« on: July 24, 2011, 05:11:14 pm »
From reading over some of the past forum discussions, i see that "botting" is discouraged. I have also seen that those who were scolded for botting claim to have only been using a trigger. My question is the age old question of how far is too far?

Offline Riley

• View Profile
Re: When is a trigger a bot?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 07:48:39 am »
Most likely to the point when you can just sit at your computer and watch text fly by while waiting to see if an imm tries to talk to you :P

IE... don't setup triggers on kill to track to another mob to kill it...
Don't setup triggers to repeat like farming...
Deff don't setup triggers to repeatably crash the mud, but the imms really love when you do that *runs and tries to hide from an inevitable slay just for thinking/saying it*
I'm sure sometime the imms will throw in a few more don't setup triggers :)

Offline kitolani

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:06:55 pm »
A player in my clan that will not be mentioned had created an elaborate web of triggers that basically took him leveling for hours while he was off whacking it. If your player functions while you're away, you're botting. Triggers aren't all bad. Even Thotter has a trigger to pull him back from the void when he fades from sight into his surroundings. Some people have triggers in response to certain socials towards specific people. Myself, I'm too lazy for triggers. It doesn't require a great deal of effort to input commands. Riley had one that could spell people up for battle while she had to be away if you gave her money. That was handy, and didn't exploit the game. The people that abuse triggers are the reason this rule went into effect. If there's any question to whether it's ethical, just don't do it.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:59:35 pm »
Yeah, basically if you can walk away from your computer and still have your character doing stuff, you're botting.  If you have to sit there and enter some command for things to happen, you've got triggers.  Yes, lots of triggers can = botting if you set it up right and are able to walk away from the computer...

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 07:53:20 pm »
When you get caught.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 05:24:25 pm »
Like^