Author Topic: Revamping artifact system  (Read 34312 times)

Offline Calypso

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Revamping artifact system
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2011, 11:08:46 am »
Molly said that she was not opposed to making artis have good stats. If that happened, Horus, would you feel opposed to max_load or timers?
I get my energy from my Inner G.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2011, 06:21:56 pm »
There are rules for building equip that have been routinely ignored for years, end result being over-powered quest equip that leaves artifacts not worth the effort.  There has already been a LOT of work put into the rebalancing process (thanks Viri and Molly) that just never got implemented.  So one way or another, artifacts will soon be worthwhile again.

Then there will be a limit to how many artifacts you can wear, and something along the lines of a coded safeguard to make it prohibitively expensive to store artifacts you're not using.

Whatever happens there will be no timers on artifacts.

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2011, 07:13:16 pm »
Artifacts were nerfed. Not just left in the dust by more powerful equipment. 3 prominent ones that changed were Bloody horntips of minotaurus, deep blue eyes (although they still are decent), and the supple hooded longcoat. I'm sure others changed but can't think of them offhand. Considering the rarity they are to load their stats should be better. Although they shouldn't be epic.  They should be on par with hard quests, because of the time it takes to get one.
I also think that we should just start calling what we call artifacts, rare-loads. Because that is what they are. Since they are part of zones, and have a history, keep them, just don't make them part of the new artifact system. The new artifact system should be epic items. As good and on the same par as the *Excalibur* sword which is a quest reward that only one player can use at a time.
I played somewhere once that the artifact system worked like this. It had something similiar to the detector we have now that would prompt the location of all artis in game, whether a player owned it currently or it was somewhere else. These artis stayed with their master, the one who got it, and would only stay with them if they would be made happy. You made the artifacts happy by of course killing with them. Whether it be pk or mk. You could also only ever have one arti on at a time because they would get jealous of each other. Unless the one liked you enough to let it slide. This persisted even through loggin off, but if you logged off too long the artifact wasn't happy and would leave you and go back into the world for someone else to find it and take care of it. And they of course hated it if you'd die by any means. This idea I think would work well here. Details of course would need ironed out, but overall could work for the new artifacts we want. it should be brand new items, epic items with unrivaled stats, non perzable, and unique. Some artifacts may be better for casters levelling, melee levelling, melee pk, caster pk, perhaps some with varying degrees of those, or hybrids, perhaps some with unique innates like brace or mana shield. Maybe even make it so they work similiar to the Orcrist, and can gain levels with their master, so you always want to try and get your primary artifact back to get more levels on it to make it better. they could start out good stats, and gradually increase the more active you are with it. This idea promotes activity in the game even more. There is  a lot of ideas I mentioned, of course not all will be liked, so discuss away, and let me know what you think?
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2011, 07:26:21 pm »
Could perhaps even hold a player artifact creation contest. Submissions for the best artifacts that would be voted upon by the rest of the players. Creators name could be incorporated into the artifact somehow, perhaps as the artifacts original owner.

Maybe.... Molly O'Hara's talking broomstick
Makes comments to you about how its fearful Molly may take it back again and use it to sweep the floor! It's meant for magic fights afterall, not cleaning up some dust!
Can get creative! The ideas are limitless!

Offline Calypso

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2011, 07:37:39 pm »
That's such a creative idea! Contests are always fun. Keeps the players actively involved in the improvement process of 4D. Having an artifact that has emotions and demands etc seems to go along with this mud, seeing as how I can kick wind in its abdomen and hear its death cry. So why not have artifacts that hates your guts or gets jealous of another artifact?

It also answers the issue of hoarding and going inactive with an arti.

Great idea, Xeri!
I get my energy from my Inner G.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2011, 07:47:33 pm »
Those sound like GOD_ITEMS, short term ultra-uber equip.  I like it, and I really like the idea of player submitted ones.

Artifacts are artifacts though, designed to be powerful, extremely hard to find and super-valuable.  Some will be moved, some will not be artifacts anymore (just pretty sweet rare-loads), and some will be brand new, but that kind of info will be kept a little bit under wraps  ;D.

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2011, 07:49:53 pm »
What about perzed artifacts that some oldbies already have?

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2011, 08:02:22 pm »
dunno