Author Topic: Challenge System  (Read 16848 times)

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
Challenge System
« on: September 11, 2011, 06:07:16 pm »
What does everyone think of a challenge system being built into the game? This would involve a command such as challenge actually challenging the person. When someone is challenged for instance via the challenge command, that player is then prompted as to whether they accept or decline the challenge. If accepted the two are whisked away to an arena where the two can duke it out in an arena, if declined then nothing happens. We could combine this into the new PK champion on the who list.  If that title is being carried that person shouldn't be given the option to decline, and has to accept to defend his/her title. Perhaps via the challenge system it can be possible to do group fights, such as 2v2, or other things to make it interesting. Along with the challenge system, perhaps get pk points working and beneficial in some way for PK's, maybe even giving incentive to go PK. Just some thoughts, what do you all think?
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here

Offline Once

• View Profile
Re: Challenge System
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 07:20:21 pm »
I think if we do this we need some element of check and balance in it though. We don't want Champions to think they have to idle offline. Maybe if you're marked AFK you don't accept challenges. Sure someone may use that to abuse it, but they can't send tells they can only reply while AFK, and if they're too busy to fight it's not really a fair match.

Waiting for timing and taking them out when they least expect it is also a part of PK. ;)

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 11:22:41 pm »
What about if a challenge is made/accepted both parties get teleported away and are no longer subject to PEACE flags on rooms or any other such safeguard until one of them is killed.

Or some other mechanism whereby all bars on killing - oh and also no recalling perhaps - are suddenly gone and the respective players are set loose in the world to hunt each other until it's over.

8)

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:30:47 pm »
^ I like that idea. Once a challenge is underway, both players get randomly teleported into the world and have the name of the zone they're in displayed as a flag on WHO so everyone can watch as they chase each other through the dimensions with PEACE rooms having no affect.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 01:27:58 am »
We definitely need a room tracking pk/challenge stats as well.  Including challenges accepted:declined.

And perhaps a screen snooping participants in a challenge to some degree? So anyone interested can watch the fight in real time. This would also be awesome for arenas. Spectator sports!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:52:43 am by Jaros »

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 02:07:24 am »
I've already got code courtesy of Marquoz at Aeonian Dreams that lets you see what happens in an arena if you're in an ARENA_VIEWING_ROOM. We could do the same thing here for Arena. I think the running around the world and hitting through peace sounds pretty sweet, but may be a little on the ambitious side. Kvetch has offered up a couple new arena zones she built back in the day for our use though.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 02:38:40 am »
We can already spectate the gladiator arena's. West of the map room has info on it, the base is all there unless it's all scripted which it might be.

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 07:32:29 pm »
I like the idea of random teleportation and hunting each other to the death. Sure can run to recall, but you can get laid out right there!  Problem I see and it might be tough is to make it so if you cast earthquake at recall, it only affects your opponent and you are able to cast it there, while no one else can cast it. If that's the case, we might just have to stick to a large arena, and the only way out is for someone to die. As the match ticks on, could perhaps make the room get hotter or the ceiling gets lower, if neither can kill each other quick enough with the spike gradually weakening, say by taking off of their max hp by a percentage, then they both die by getting crushed! This would prevent people from just running around for a stalemate and losing nothing. Instead both get a loss, and no one gets a win. The options are limitless for the types of arenas available, the problem is, does there need to be incentives to get people to go PK? It doesn't seem like people want to, and I'm not sure why that is right now, maybe certain bonuses in cybernetics will only be able to be gotten via PK? Or maybe certain artifacts are PK only artifacts. Several ideas that I had on my mind, what do you think?

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 03:42:32 am »
I split PK Ruthless off from Challenges so we can clearly delineate between the ideas. It looks like all there's nobody actually opposed to a Challenge system?

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 09:25:23 am »
We can already spectate the gladiator arena's. West of the map room has info on it, the base is all there unless it's all scripted which it might be.

I'm afraid that is not true, Viri.

Being able to monitor the figths from the spectators' gallery, was something that I really wanted, and it was planned.

But since it was beyond my own scripting capacity and whoever was responsible for implementing it at the time faded out and left, it was never finished.
And then the the Gladiators sort of went out of fashion and everyone forgot...
Which is too often the case, but that's another story...  :(

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 09:36:30 am »
I think with a little work to a lot of work, gladiators could be popular. Since the feature was put in, just never really fully implemented. There just needs to be a purpose behind using them. Such as ability to earn tradepoints, award points, tokens, gold, something with your main characters. Ideally I'd see gladiators working as, you as a player enter the gladiator arena. Maybe there is a way to have two separate characters that are joined persay. So you can either only be logged in on your gladiator of that name or your main character. If a pk leaderboard is established, it could also be applied to gladiators. I think gladiators just need a bit more mana, moves, hp on par with what the classes currently have etc, and perhaps even be GM, while we have that feature, so we can truly get a feel of where classes need to be balanced. Perhaps have the gladiators the ability to earn tradepoints themselves and have more purchaseable items only they can use, to get gear equivalent to that of what the classes can attain on the outside which further helps in balancing.    For now I think all there needs to be is some scaling of the current gladiators remorts, which will in turn affect moves, mana, and hp, and some equipment given to the gladiators. With perhaps the ability for that equipment to be purchaseable down the road. Start implementing the pk systems there, as a test area basis, and then branch out. Just a suggestion, it's all already there, and will be balanced and fair and maybe people will want to get involved in pk that normally don't because it should be a level playing field assuming our classes are balanced.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 09:54:55 am »
I thought the "purpose" behind gladiators was to have balanced characters so players could see who really was the best PKer and not just the best player with the best eq.  Seems that if you give them more of a purpose then you're doing away with the original purpose.

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 10:04:15 am »
Equipment imbalances things. Can't find imbalances without adding equipment.

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 10:06:44 am »
Also if that were it's only purpose it isn't popular by any means, has never been. Therefore needs to be made better to make it worthwhile or the work already done with it was a waste of time as is?

Offline Calypso

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 11:45:03 am »
could make the rewards something that can only be used in the arena.
I get my energy from my Inner G.