Author Topic: Ramblings on a Future without GM, with Action Points and Skill Trees  (Read 40603 times)

Offline Once

• View Profile
Re: Ramblings on a Future without GM, with Action Points and Skill Trees
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 08:40:45 pm »
So what's the next step here? How do we get this thing going?

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 10:24:55 pm »
In another port:

Fix stamina at 300 for fighters and maybe 450 for rogues to make up for their lower HP; regen at 10/sec.

Code those skills.

Tweak until balanced.

Expand to more skills and start on casters.

Incorporate 7-remorts.

All in another port so that it all works as intended and everyone understands and is happy with it before anything gets changed.

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 12:21:23 am »
I don't know that we have the right skills to code, but I'm about 80% to the 8 remort system.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 12:48:45 am »
What do you mean by the right skills to code?  If you just bring in the 8-remort idea as is, priest/hunter will be a super class and nothing will really change.

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 01:00:55 am »
I mean we don't have a concrete list of skills that we'd like to see implemented. I think having that will help anyone who wants to help code this out work on it.

In terms of Hunter, that's mostly from their innate bonuses I think which can easily be tweaked. Priest is a different beast altogether though. Let's frame the conversation as what we need to make all the classes more useful.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 01:12:06 am »
you're clearly not going to put any kind of a sustained effort into this so i'm not going to bother

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 01:13:33 am »
I told you guys since the start that I was sporadic and code in sprints. I'm coding now, so either jump on the train and help or don't. If you want to help, coming up with some ideas on how we could make classes more useful would be a good start. If you don't, that's too bad. Your input would have been valuable.

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 01:22:31 am »
Just to be clear:

There's two different paths needed to implement a system:

1) The Design - This requires a significant amount of knowledge about what needs to be built, and how it integrates with everything else. This usually also has thematic components, a bit of "art" per se.

2) The Code - This usually is done by following some rough guidelines or "spec". Good code tends to be destructively created in that several approaches are tried until the right one is found. The code itself though tends to often try to follow a high level design. The lack of design can often lead you to wondering where to start and a sense of "writer's block" which is what so often happens in these situations.

Right now I'm not particularly in design mode. I may be later, but I'm looking for good ideas to code. Once I have them, and agree with them, things will move rapidly. If I don't get them, I might move into the design phase myself.  If I don't get much feedback beyond questions of my commitment though I may end up questioning the value of continuing to contribute. 

Instead of getting frustrated with the lack of progress, why don't you focus on how you can be a constructive element to progress. I've seen a lot of back and forth, but this place has lacked a serious design. There's plenty of chatter floating, but no real concrete, actionable tasks that I can work off of when I'm in the mode (which I happen to be). I'll figure out my own route as necessary, but this is a shout out to all of you to also get your asses in gear and help me. ;)

-Once

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 02:14:28 am »
I'm afraid Molly and I have a slight disagreement as to the value of me working on maps at this point. I'm planning on working on them after core gameplay is further along (assuming nobody else jumps in before).

What else is on everybody's list?

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 02:33:13 am »
I'm planning on working on them after core gameplay is further along (assuming nobody else jumps in before).

Which means they will never be fixed.
As usual.

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 02:37:20 am »
Not necessarily. I'd just rather work on things more than 20% of the pbase will see a productive result from. There are plenty of other coders go can jump in on maps (likely far more adequately than I can).

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 04:28:02 am »
On the other hand, the maps are immediately actionable and could be a great way of making the world more user-friendly for new players.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 05:36:06 am »
Is the artifact detector system still in testing or what's the hold up with finishing that up.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 08:55:34 am »
That's complete: 15tp for the zone of an artifact no one wants.  So current artifacts remain worthless but we have destroyed the value of all future artifacts too, so it balances out.  That's how economies work.