Author Topic: Build-Your-Own Grids  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
Build-Your-Own Grids
« on: September 18, 2011, 03:35:46 am »
I'm just gonna leave these here for future reference.  :)

Imagine if there was a type 'forest', 'ocean', 'plain', 'scary room', 'plain room', or some shit like that that were just pre-constructed 1 room pieces of zone that it was possible for players to adjust the links for, essentially making mini- 'create-your-own' mazes of say 10 or 20 rooms that they didn't actually build, just put together. Not sure exactly what we'd get out of it but I'm sure we could make it fun.  :P

And it would also be quite possible to let players build their own mini dungeons or arenas in the sandbox area, without needing to write any descs at all, unless they chose to. Because we actually have the equivalent of the Minecraft lego blocks in our Wilderness code. A room that is set with a Wilderness flag gets an auto-generated description, based on the sector of the room. And until you exchange that default desc for something new, that is what everyone entering the room will see. So, repetitive descs, and just two lines, (but at least two lines without typo, grammar and punctuation errors). And it allows for quick building.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Build-Your-Own Grids
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 12:28:09 pm »
If there is really a big demand for this kind of thing, I won't oppose it.
But my guess is that after the first surge of enthusiasm for the idea of building your own grids in a sandbox, the interest pretty soon is going to drop to zero.

I'm even willing to put a small wager on that.

After all, we never stopped anyone from building, but how many of the happy volunteers actually finished a zone?

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Build-Your-Own Grids
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:09:00 pm »
And shoot, I even made it easier for people to try to build, just tell me you're interested and I'll set you up on the build port and even help you get started - no application required.  And still people seem to drop out after about 10 rooms - if that.  I just keep the roomnumbers and either come up with something for myself (like I need more ideas) or wait for the next enthusiastic volunteer.