Author Topic: Woodsing?  (Read 45710 times)

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
Woodsing?
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:41:40 am »
Anyone know what the story is with woodsing?  I get a 2.15 multiplier on my staves no matter how old the tree is, even from petrified.  That's not very good.

Offline horus

• View Profile
Re: Woodsing?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 10:54:07 pm »
Its probably the max multiplier for your level, tier and wood type.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:30:18 pm »
The type and age of the wood makes no different, and I'm a tier 4 level 50 gypsy  :-\

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 02:16:24 am »
Well, the way Woodsing was originally intended, the age of the tree played a vital role.
The older the tree, the better the staff, and only petrified trees would create the perfect staff.

The idea behind this was of course to have players explore for petrified trees, and even protect the older trees against non magic-using players who might chop them down, not only for the timber and exp, but to prevent the magig-using classes from getting those perfect staffs. I think there was even a spell called WOODGUARD or something, which would place a high level mob at the tree, attecking whoever used the lumberjack command in the room.

If it doesn't work like this any more, the code is broken and should be mended.
It was a very cool feature and I'd like it back as intended.
Both the age of the tree and the level and skill of the caster should matter for the multiplyer.

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 09:06:11 am »
The question is:

Did it break, or was it nerfed?

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:30:09 am »
Did it break, or was it nerfed?

I'm not sure which is was.
In either case it was unwanted.

Having the strrength of the staff depend on the age of the tree makes it harder to get the good staffs, since trees take their time to mature.

So if the intention was to nerf the staffs, it was a bad choice to make. It would have been better to lower the overall damage one step on all woodsing staffs except the ones from the petrified trees.

In any case I want it back as originally intended.
The age of the tree should definitely matter.

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 01:47:41 pm »
Also it was suppose to be a chance to be able to woodsing an uber ulti. It was bugged. Was it ever fixed?

Also I think I remember there being a problem with how the stats turned up on some of the staves. I remember I use to get staves that greatly reduced your speed as a stat.. And I some what recall, the help files on trees wasnt correct as far as what the stats each tree gave you.

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 10:13:52 pm »
The chances for an Major focus are really really really really really low. I looked at the code for this. Thing is the woodsing code uses cha and most Gypsys aren't going to have the same cha as a pure caster. But Fiachra did once manage to woodsing a major tree. But yea the woodsing code might need some looking into. But I don't want to infuse 4d with lots of Major focus woodsang trees either which is what I think Mord was doing with the code he did for woodsing.

Prometheus

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 10:21:16 pm »
It doesn't seem like a chance thing.. I get exactly x2.15 every time.

What do you mean by a 'major' tree/focus?

Offline Prometheus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 10:40:01 pm »
Major focus is a 4.5 multi I think. But like I said above it is extremely rare I mean like probably .5% to get it and even then it is extremely rare. So pretty much zip to null.

Prometheus

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 10:53:56 pm »
Ah.  Any idea why the age of the tree isn't making any difference?

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 01:02:28 pm »
I'm going to build a prototype of my idea for a better way to handle woodsing on my port today. Will post results here once it's done. Synopsis is rather than just waiting for old trees there will be a somewhat active component. Age is one factor but nurturing a tree should be another.

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 03:10:17 am »
@ Once

Anyone too incorporate I think it was called the tree guardian subskill in it too. As of now no one lumberjacks pretty much useless subskill I believe.

Be nice to make it so that the tree would be worth more then its current value as it to want to lumberjack it

Offline Riley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 02:15:55 pm »
Well, it's not really viable to keep on with lumberjacking since the rewards keep like exponentially decline everytime you do it... it's like the first time give me 10... second time give me 20 third give me 30... and for what all the same reward?  I'm not sure on the exact quantities but after awhile just with like anything that is repeatable... and besides there is only so many ways to kill a dead horse... if you catch my drift people lose interest in something when it starts to become work rather than enjoyment. and if they have to do more work for the same results really gets tiring more quickly.

Offline Prometheus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 02:30:08 pm »
My concern with woodsing is that we need to make sure it isn't too over powered. I agree that we should test it out before we put it into the main game port.

Prometheus