Author Topic: TASKS: Crafting  (Read 6168 times)

Offline Once

• View Profile
TASKS: Crafting
« on: December 30, 2011, 11:17:25 am »
Here's my breakdown of the tasks involved in the crafting system. I unfortunately don't have the time to give a synopsis of how it all works, but this should give people an idea of how the tasks break down for a given system. Finished tasks are marked with strikethrough.

1) Make Craft Command
2) Make Analyze Command
3) Make Analyze have a chance to make a TEMPLATE item.
4) Make Template item have stats of original item.

5) Analyze Load Rates and Load Difficulty of Ore
6) Come up with benefits for each individual ore. Find ways to make them unique so there's more value in mining.
7) Create "craftables" list of all craftable items. Use Weapon and Armor types as a base, but assess whether more are needed.
8) Define ore weights for all craftables.
9) Decide whether crafting the item itself should be a mini-game, or a single, straight-forward command.
10) Create item crafting system.
11) Create system to integrate templates.
12) Create Gem Loading system for Boss Mobs
13) Create scripts to analyze boss mobs.
- Thanks Thotter!
14) Assess value of boss mobs across the world.
15) Create Gem bonuses and balance against boss mobs.
16) Create system to graft gems onto crafted items.
17) Playtest system for bugs and fun level.
18) Push system live.

P.S. If you think you can help with any of these tasks. Let me know or just start helping. For instance, a craftables list and some thoughts on whether crafting should be a mini-game are areas even non-coders can jump in on.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:22:03 am by Once »

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TASKS: Crafting
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 05:45:39 am »
We already have a lot of things that can be used for crafts, I think we should use those as much as possible.

For instance a forging a good weapon should entail a bit more than just mining and processing the ore. Any weapon would be put together from different parts; for instance blade, crossguard, hilt and pommel for a sword or dagger, spear-/arrowhead and shaft, for a spear or arrow.

We have a lot of different trees to use for the hilts and shafts, each kind of wood could give differrent properties to the completed weapon. You'd need leather strips or string to get a better grip for the hilt, those are made from the hides of cattle or horses, which we also have already. There are also various kinds of jewels and other gems that can be used for decorations, to further enhance the weapon.

Same thing could be done for armor; you'd need plates, leather lining, padding etc.. For padding you could use wool, cloth or fur, which also exists in various forms.

I also think that armor for thieves should mainly be made from leather products and dark cloth, since thieves should be dependant on speed, dexterity and stealth rather than brute strength. And for spellcasters it should be made from cloth, and decorated with things like jewels, feathers, pearls, mirrors etc, to enhance the magic. (We alreday have silk, wool and linen thread and cloth.

All these extra things can be collected all over the world, some are very common, others rare and hard to find.

There is actually an entire 400 room zone dedicated to crafting and ranching (another feature, meant for Old West,  that was dropped halfway). I'll mail the details of it to Once, when I get back to my own computer. (At the moment I'm house-and dogsitting for my relatives).

Anyhow, I think it would be cool if we could create a kind of player market, where those who like to explore and collect could sell all the extras to those who prefer to spend their time crafting.

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 02:35:13 pm »
Will there a be a different profession for having to make the hilt then making the blade to the sword? I dont think she we should make it too time consuming, could cause it to be a turn off to players if they have to spend a hour or two just to forge one weapon.

Will they just need to have all the items in their inventory to make the hilt and blade etc? Or will they have to make each separate?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:59:39 pm by Bane »

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 05:00:12 pm »
9) Decide whether crafting the item itself should be a mini-game, or a single, straight-forward command.

Minigame

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:24:02 am »
Will there a be a different profession for having to make the hilt then making the blade to the sword?

I think we should have different professions for working with different materials, for instance Woodworket, Metalworker, Stoneworker, Leatherworker, Textileworker, Glassworker. But nothing would stop a player from learning all professions, to do the job themselves. If we had more players it would have been a good idea to limit the number of professions each player could learn, in order to promote player interaction. But with our small playerbase I just don't think that would be feasible. Anyhow, collecting rwa materials gives at least some opportunity for creating a player run economy.

Will they just need to have all the items in their inventory to make the hilt and blade etc? Or will they have to make each separate?

I figure having all the parts in inventory, would be enough. And if any tools are needed, maybe they should have to hold/wield those.

Of course. I'll leave it to Once to design crafting the way he likes it. I just think it would be nice if we could base it around already existing things in the game.