Author Topic: Knowledge database?  (Read 5455 times)

Offline Natalya B.

• MSN Messenger - miss_sol@live.com
    • View Profile
Knowledge database?
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:28:43 pm »
Other MUDs and games have many knowledge databases - wiki pages and dedicated websites for items, stats, quest NPCs, shops, trainers, etc.

We do not. Obviously because it would be such a MAMMOTH task to put together.

I remembered, before I went - yknow - AFK for 2 years or so, that I was going to start collecting stats and information and start building a site to hold all that and present it in a clear and searchable form.

I now realise, that's way too big-a-task for just one person.

For starters, the functionality we would want in this requires a nicely coded site. Or we could just set up a wiki page, that could work? And maybe then people could assist in inputting information....

I know it would be great, and be great for help files too. Sometimes I forget commands, or maybe a player wants some suggestions or ideas as to what equipment pieces they should try to look for, etc.

As long as the information doesn't give away quests, and sticks to the informative side of things, I think this would be a really good idea...

I may keep working on what I already have, at the very least - I'll end up with a nice little 4D Handbook, which should be helpful considering I always forget everything... :p

Offline Once

• View Profile
Re: Knowledge database?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:58:38 am »
I know Drupal has a wiki module, maybe I'll look into whether we can get that set up. Might be easier just to set up a mediawiki install altogether for it. Ideally it'd be hosted on the 4d domain itself, but the issue is really how much do we give away. Several clans have lists of alot of great items, where to get them, etc. The issue is finding the balance between providing good information and making the game too easy.

Offline Natalya B.

• MSN Messenger - miss_sol@live.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 06:55:21 am »
Yep, there is that.

We can at least start with simple information, help commands etc. Also many items - stats and such. That's the big task, items and stats in a searchable format - searchable per zone/time-area/stat etc etc. Hello databasing crazyness...

But yknow, "all our powers combined", etc etc... It's doable.

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:38:33 pm »
I..kind of have a database too, but to be honest, would it really help that much? In some sense, most of the good EQ / Items / Subskills come from quests...