Poll

Should Brace and mana shield be made tier 3 as well as mana shield being made self-only?

Yes
6 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: New spell and/or removing an existing spell  (Read 7415 times)

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
  • Fizban, the Mangy Wizard
    • MSN Messenger - Fizban1216@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Fizban1216
    • View Profile
    • Email
New spell and/or removing an existing spell
« on: April 11, 2008, 01:34:07 pm »
I don't at all think casters are underpowered as it seems many people do, but seeing as they are hard capped at 100 charisma, and warriors aren't hard capped at anything warriors inherently in theory have an advantage. That doesn't bother me too much, what does though is casters get screwed in pkill due to one spell....
 Mages often hit for less than a warrior as is due to their damage being capped, but then there's mana shield, which then halves casters damage which seems to essentially just bury them in pkill. Why do I think mana shield is overkill? Mages can cast sanctuary, that makes a 800 damage behead hit me for around 400. My fireball hits for 800ish (on players, 2000-2500 on mobs), then sanc makes it 400, and mana shield makes it 200, so essentially I hit harder than them in straight damage but because there is a spell that halves magic damage, and no spell that halves physical damage casters badly get the short end of the stick.

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New spell and/or removing an existing spell
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 01:40:07 pm »
On second thought the problem with this spell is GM, not the spell, I say make it tier 3 and probably even only castable on self.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 03:08:15 pm »
Sanctuary only blocks physical attacks by 50% or whatever. Mana shield is the equivalent for casters.

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 06:09:53 pm »
Sanctuary does magical and physical..... The helpfile seems to say otherwise, but it's mistaken, the code agrees with me and just tested on Xeriuth and dealt nearly twice the damage to him when he wasn't sanced. So perhaps mana shield isn't the issue, and sanc needs to be made to only affect physical damage?

For further proof (to those that know any C at all, and hell to those that simply excel in logic as this isn't really what I'd call complex code...)

Code: [Select]
    if (AFF_FLAGGED(vict, AFF_SANCTUARY)) {
        if (GET_CLASS(ch) == CLASS_WARRIOR && (GET_SUB(ch, SUB_REPEL_SANC) > number(0, 150))) {
            act("$n moves in past your white aura!", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_VICT);
            act("You move in past $N's white aura!", FALSE, ch, 0, vict, TO_CHAR);
        } else
            damage *= (0.60);
    }

That reduces all damage dealt to a player by 40% unless the attacker is a warrior with the Repel Sanc subskill in which case they have a chance to deal full damage.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 06:15:57 pm by Fizban »

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 06:11:41 pm »
If sanc isn't changed and left as is, I'd say make brace and mana shield tier 3, or otherwise stop GM's from using them, and make mana shield castable only on self, as brace is only usable on self.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 06:48:46 pm »
Ah, so the helpfile for sanctuary is wrong.. But still, seeing as sanc has been the way it has for so long, I'd prefer not changing sanc, but making brace + mana shield tier 3 so GM's couldn't use them. I also wonder if repel-sanc even works..