Author Topic: Skills/Spells Distribution  (Read 60962 times)

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
  • Has delusions of adequacy
    • View Profile
    • Multiplayer Online Game Anyone?
    • Email
Re: Skills/Spells Distribution
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2008, 02:43:05 am »
Because many of the mobs are agro.
I suggest that instead of the skills being taught by these mobs, new mobs be made that are near and related to these existing mobs that do the training.
It will be easier to do, since all the mobs can be added in a single zone and tested in one place, and just have the resets done in game.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2008, 02:52:20 am »
I don't see anything wrong with aggro mobs teaching skills.. As long as you can practice during a fight.  ;D

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2008, 07:40:06 am »
By that argument, a problem is that sometimes you kill the mob before you can practice, other times it is killed by someone who just wants to get past the mob.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2008, 05:18:14 pm »
Even though bash already is solved, I got to suggest Toke Thickhead for it, since it's just too IC to resist:
QUOTE: 'Toke Thickhead actually did get his name because of his habit of bashing doors head first - regardless of if they are open or not...'

There has to be some mob in Future to use for psi panic and shocking grasp, perhaps one in Dark Planet? For instance the Bayon or the Korpik? (The Korpik could work for shocking grasp too). It's a nasty zone, but at least those mobs are not aggro.
Okkyokk, who loads in Yudore (Alpha Centauri) is another suggestion for future related fighting skills, and the Groaci are known thieves and also have a 'collective brain'.

C3P0 could perhaps reach steelskin, or some of the other Androids on the IGTCs? Or the Jimilak (That's Dark planet too). Or the AT-AT Walker on Hoth (unless you prefer to use that for Static Shield).

For recharge I'd suggest Bolomi, the Repairman in Wawat, or some weaponsmith in Oldwest.

Sense life - any Hunter or Indian would make sense, perhaps Hawkeye or Running Dog. Or Shebanqy the Hunter in Kerma (Kush)

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2008, 03:53:22 am »
I made a new mob for cure blind; Eos, the rosy-fingered Goddess of Dawn. She was so obvious that I couldn't resist it. (You'll find her somewhere as far east as you can get).

On another note, we've started setting up a few of the trainers in 6001 for a test of the new code. Once we are sure that the code works, we'll start implementing it on a full scale. So it is important that the final list gets set up as soon as possible, we don't want to end up doing a lot of work that has to be redone later.

One more thing that we need to decide on is how what info we give to the players on line.
- Should the name of the trainers be mentioned in each helpfile for the skills and spells?
- Or added to all the skills/spells in the skilllist as an extra column?
- Or both?
- Is any more detailed info needed, for instance WHERE the trainer can be found?

My own opinion is that for the low tier skills we should give an absolute location, for instance 'Mike, the Recall Trainer' , the medium skills could get the mob name an approximate location, (perhaps the zone name). like for instance 'Polyphemos in the Odyssey', and for a few of the top skills we could make it a Quest to find the trainer in question,  by some vaguer hint that you'd have to think a bit about to understand

Also, it would be appreciated if those of you imms that have full OLC in 6000 would help with the work of making the trainers. Adding the training part is dimple enough, but since there are 200 skills, divided on at least three times as many mobs, it means a massive amount of work, and I hope Diandra and me will not be ending up doing it all. So if you want to help, mail me and Diandra, and we'll set you up with a hunk of the list.

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2008, 04:38:46 am »
Hmm..how about

Low level skills - approximate zone / dimension

Medium level skills - vague hints

High level skills - nothing.

Because as an average player levels, he'll probably enter zones and find trainers for low, medium, high level skills. As he progresses to higher levels, he should have already found a few of the trainers for the high level skills..making vague hints redundant.

Giving locations like "Encircle skill can be found with the guildmaster in Olde Yorke" would just make the player run there, learn it, and leave the zone.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2008, 05:05:48 am »
I would go for a mob name + dimension + zone for all tier 1 skills/spells. Listed in the helpfile. Mob name + dimension for all tier 2 skills/spells. Listed in the helpfile. Mob name for all tier 3 skills/spells. Nothing for tier 4 skills/spells.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2008, 08:27:54 pm »
Can't believe I'm going to say this...  I'm going to agree with Virisin.  I like his options.

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2008, 10:54:51 pm »
But remember..players can track mobs.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2008, 11:35:17 pm »
Only some mobs. There are lots of !track mobs, as well as !track rooms.. I don't think it's all that much of a problem.

Offline Iwku

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2008, 02:56:49 am »
I'll go with just checking back here to find which mob does the training.

I kind of agree with the idea of seeking out certain mobs to teach skills and how that will help differentiate the better players from the average, and make players more unique.  Adding the exorborant cost to learning new skills/spells was bad enough, but this new idea justs make everything so much harder and frustrating. 

Anyway, I trust you guys know what you are doing and that I will come to love this idea in time.

Offline Diandra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2008, 03:34:42 am »
Seeing every skill/spell has a suggested trainer we're now regarding this list as final and this thread will be locked.

Thanks to everyone who participated in all this and hopefully you'll see these changes soon implemented in the game.

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
  • Has delusions of adequacy
    • View Profile
    • Multiplayer Online Game Anyone?
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2008, 01:47:16 am »
I suggest that for tier 4 skills and spells, the dimension / zone name should be mentioned in the help file.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2008, 03:34:01 am »
OK, I second that.
It will be hard enough for them to track down all those trainers. We don't want to frustrate them to the point of leaving. AND it will bring some traffic to those zones.