Author Topic: KOTM / KOTY rules discussion  (Read 19759 times)

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
KOTM / KOTY rules discussion
« on: April 12, 2008, 02:44:22 am »
All,

I would like to start this thread on suggestions / ideas for KOTM rules. I made a few on the fly but I would like to hear with others have to say.

Prometheus

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: KOTM / KOTY rules discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 02:57:52 am »
Heals should be allowed, same with mounts.. It's meant to be pretty much restrictionless.

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 04:35:11 am »
KOTM should be no holds barred.

If you can do it, it should be allowed, because usually every tactic can be countered by another tactic.

Of course, should any bugs / loopholes come out during play in KOTM, that's entirely another issue :)

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 05:12:41 am »
Yeah, I reckon absolutely no restrictions, anything you can do goes. Cept for things that are obviously bugs.. Which don't seem to be worried about in this KOTM..

Offline Prometheus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:22:58 am »
Good points. For KOTM in May I will change around the rules and allow no hold barred except for bugs which hopefully will get worked out before then I hope :)

Prometheus

Offline Iwku

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 02:39:57 am »
I totally agree with Virisin and Erwin that anything should go. 

I've only been in one KOTM but I was made to feel bad and that I was doing something wrong and winning dishonestly because I used tons of potions and a mount.  I don't see anything wrong with fighting in the arena the way you would normally fight mobs in the game.  I do see something wrong if you have to change your tactics as a ranger or thief and not use mounts and potions; other classes might rely on spells or elementals which is kind of the same thing and there seems to be no questions about that.

The only thing I would like to add is that people shouldn't be allowed to leave the arena in the middle of a fight. 

Offline Prometheus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 04:26:43 am »
That is a good suggestion IWKU.

Thanks,
Prometheus

Leonardo

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 04:45:25 am »
What does KOTM stand about? Isn't it Knight Of The Month?
And what would a Knight do, abuse all game bugs and fight dishonestly in a honorable way? I strongly believe not.
Some serious rules should be studied and added up. Anything goes is just a PK fight not any difference between PK and KOTM then. Why should I join KOTM if I can fight exactly the same as PK. KOTM should be a pretest to bring Fairness into a fight, to allow non-GM players to stand a chance vs the overpowered GM's.
Like a non-caster GM that casts 4elementals and 4clones. And the way the GROUP code is done, I won't be able to fight the Player, since the code will keep bringing the elementals in front. It's already hard to kill a GM having to face only him, let alone kill 4Elementals while he hits you and then hope to have some HP left to kill him too. It'll make the tournament a GM-only thing, then don't even accept subscriptions to it by other players.

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
  • Fizban, the Mangy Wizard
    • MSN Messenger - Fizban1216@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Fizban1216
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 10:51:28 am »
That's a bit over the top....there weren't any real rules as is and you've clobbered 3 GM's. Also it IS a PK tournament, that's the entire point. Also earth and fire elementals are tier 3 and 4 a GM can't use them, and the other elementals blow balls anyway.

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 11:14:54 am »
Hmm..what's your definition of fairness?

I see that the fights start after a "Ready, Go" or any such sort from the witness..that's fairer than PK in which sometimes you are caught unawares.

As for anything goes, well, a non GM would find it harder to kill a GM, but potions / wands / scrolls / mounts et al should at least even things out, somewhat. (Ok, that's probably a blatant lie, since potions/wands weigh around 10KG and GM can cast buffs for free.)

But you can counter that. Put these items in your clan container in every room in the arena, and take them out and use when needed (assuming there's a script that prevents non clannies from picking them up.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 09:52:37 pm by erwin »

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 11:58:31 am »
But you can counter that. Put these items in your clan container in every room in the arena, and take them out and use when needed (assuming there's a script that prevents non clannies from picking them up.)

THAT is a hilarious and ingenious idea :P

Leonardo

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 03:03:14 pm »
What are these kind of answers… KOTM is a PK tournament and litter bags all around arena to counter GM buffs? Uff.
I strongly disagree that KOTM is a PK tournament, else what's the point of it? Let's just go grab a PK flag and slaughter ourselves, who needs a tourney for that?
I believe KOTM must be a rules based tournament that differs from banal PK slaughter.
KOTM means Knight of the month, it takes a honourable KNIGHT to fight in it not any filthy PKer. I strongly believe it should be very firmly RULES based. And you should think of it as an event for entertaining the whole mud database  even the newbies. And not just the PKers. It must be fair for everybody even a newbie to play in it. Do you know why the only two newbies that signed for KOTM this month didn't even show off? I guess not.
Believe me, KOTM should be something different not just PK fights.
PS: I clobbered some GM's because I'm a Fighter class and I spent a week testing and retesting to find a strategy to defeat a Fighter experiencing and spotting their weak spot. In fact I couldn't do anything vs a Rogue GM I just died sadly leaving him with 70%HP left, since I haven't found any strategy yet for that class. I can't really face a GM. I did what I did just because I found an ace in my hand.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 03:11:15 pm by Leonardo »

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 04:54:40 pm »
I strongly disagree that KOTM is a PK tournament, else what's the point of it? Let's just go grab a PK flag and slaughter ourselves, who needs a tourney for that?

Last I checked there were no prizes for just randomly pkilling people...
And if it's not for 'filthy pkilling' how come the winner was the person who used an illegal wand and used a script in a way that was totally not intended?

Leonardo

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 05:59:03 pm »
And if it's not for 'filthy pkilling' how come the winner was the person who used an illegal wand and used a script in a way that was totally not intended?

That's why we need to settle down some magnificient and abuse free rules for it, to avoid another false winners and make KOTM a real Tournament for the joy of everyone; Newbies included. This one was a good lesson to improve the next ones. Philopher's say that it's never wasted time if you learn from it.

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 07:22:28 pm »
I agree with Lionheart. With the contest being called KOTM (Knight of the Month). It would make sense that this contest should abide by the rules in what it takes to be a 'knight'. So really chivalry and all that jazz would come into play.. as long as it holds the name 'Knight of the Month'.  If we wanted a contest that anything goes at all, we can simply have a PK contest.
With KOTM perhaps (if coders would be up to it... or maybe can do with dg) advance the jousting skill and be able to hold jousting contests within the tournament. Make KOTM just as a medieval tournament would have gone. With a melee, jousting, etc.  Just some thoughts!
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here