Author Topic: Feedback for New Spell Multi's and New Spells  (Read 17743 times)

Offline Hayato

• View Profile
Feedback for New Spell Multi's and New Spells
« on: June 09, 2012, 08:45:01 pm »
Hi

Please post feedback for new spell multi's and new spells here.  I'd rather not have any rants about how broken I've made them, but I WILL take complaints nonetheless.

What spells could use more work, how they can be improved, any suggestions for new spells, please post it all.

Stuff that are already known and are going to be fixed soon:
- Soul Smash needs spell messages
- Cone of Cold missing a message for not working indoors (Yeah, this doesn't work indoors now, just fyi)
- Soul Smash + Heart Squeeze's wis and con modifiers are being removed (or replaced), since all mobs seem to have like 3-6 in their stats anyway (Gojira with 3 con? ok)
- Flame arrow is a mite op.  Will be nerfing that
- I got a lot of complains about Lightning Bolt being stupidly underpowered.  Just FYI, the same conditions for the old 6.01 multi now gives 4.05.  I might increase the base, but I might also wait until I put in a couple new spells too.
- I have plans for making frost arrow (mage and priest) and some sort of inferno-equivalent cold spell (mage only).  Anyone have a suggestion for a name for the latter?

Some stuff to think about:
- Those worried about PVP, a lot of the current strongest spells have a lot of negative modifiers too.  You'll have plenty of chances to neuter your opponent's multis, if you know what to do.
- Logically, priest's should NOT be the strongest damage dealing caster.  That should be left to either mage or esper.  I'm sure a lot of people will point out that I'm currently a mage and I'm biased, but that's the truth.  If you want more damage, remort out of priest and give up that ez button (heal).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:53:40 pm by Hayato »
aka graham

Offline Calypso

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Feedback for New Spell Multi's and New Spells
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:53:52 am »
- I have plans for making frost arrow (mage and priest) and some sort of inferno-equivalent cold spell (mage only).  Anyone have a suggestion for a name for the latter?

Blizzard Blast
Snow Flurry
Hypothermia
Frost Bite
Frozen Tundra

I'm sure a lot of people will point out that I'm currently a mage and I'm biased.

I assumed that part of your reason to remorting to Mage was to help improve the class, since it currently seems to be a pretty lame class, imo.

I get my energy from my Inner G.

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:41:55 am »
I think we should hold off on buffing lightning bolt back up until we have a grasp on how large a change we've made here and in other areas. Keep in mind people that we're buffing a lot of other spells so while you can't fall back to the easy one hit win, ideally, the goal is that you have different spells for different environments and situations which suit you.

This should make combat both more dynamic, and more interesting. We've also been thinking about how to do a proper combat overhaul of mob ai for quite some time so that is something else that's on the horizon. Although it might be painful right now, you should look at this as progress as in the long run our goal is to make the MUD better, more fun to play, and more varied for everyone. 

I think we should applaud Graham for his initiative in getting this shit started.

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:10:43 pm »
I agree with Once. Lets see how things work out before making too many ground breaking changes. It also gives players a chance to fiddle around with stuff.

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 04:52:25 pm »
good show graham.  if anyone can keep these pesky spells in line it's you.

Offline Hayato

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 11:29:08 pm »
Although I can't edit my first post for some silly security(?) reason, I'd still like to post some sort of change log, so the player-base can fairly keep track of my changes.  I find myself talking to people privately about my recent changes too often.  It won't be that specific, but will be rather general stuff, but I'll try to clear up any vagueness if people have questions about anything.

On the first night (June 7th? I think?):
- two new spells: acid hold (single-target t1 level 21, mage and esper) and acid burst (area t3 level 40, esper)
- Most spells got a revamp, here are the notable ones:
  * lightning bolt and electric blast got nerfed
  * electric blast got it's directional option removed
  * all the previous "evil-only" spells can now be cast as neutral, for lower multi.  Can still not be cast as good.  Most of these also got buffed.
  * Demonshriek is now an area spell.
  * Cone of Cold no longer works indoors
  * Dispel Good is now tier 3 level 30 and is esper-only
  * Earthquake's base is slightly nerfed (each caster class still has an alternative area spell starting at t3)
- Added missing message for harm when trying to cast with good-alignment.
- Weather and day/night conditions are no longer in effect when indoors.
- Added some new multi conditions.  More notable ones are:
  * +AntiEvil = Requires good alignment, victim is evil aligned, protection from evil, but NOT protection from good
  * +AntiGood = Opposite of the above
  * +AntiCold = Requires Mind Fire, protection from cold, but NOT protection from fire
  * -ElementalClash = being affected by the opposing element mind spell (for example, mind water when casting flame arrow)
  * -VictProtection = Protect from Elements now work against specific spells
  * -VictSanct = Sanctuary will reduce harm's multi
  * +VictLowWis or +VictLowCon = Targets that have low stats may take additional damage
  * -VictHighWis or -VictHighCon = Targets that have high stats may take less damage
- Divine Mind and Mind Element now gives +0.20 and +0.25, up from +0.15 and +0.18 respectively.  However, they are no longer effected by the mage and esper mastery bonuses, which means players with both masteries get a -0.04 nerf across all spells.  However players without either mastery get a +0.12 bonus to all spells.
- Numb Mind now reduces the affected caster's multi for all spells by 0.75.
- Absolve no longer works from the caster's alignment but from the victim's alignment.  However, it now adds an extra 2x caster's charisma to the victim's alignment for a maximum of +400 with 100 cha.

Here are the changes that are being sent in on June 11:
- Added missing spell descriptions for Soul Smash
- Added missing message when attempting to cast Cone of Cold indoors
- Added missing area effect message when casting Electric Blast
- Some spells got their levels tweaked slightly, to prevent certain classes from obtaining several spells at one specific level.  All of these changes are rather minor.
- New skeleton spells were created.  These are not in-game yet, but are in the works: Frost Arrow, Hail Storm, Exorcism, Holy Judgement
- Timers were changed for the following spells:
  - Facemelt and Meteor Shower no longer have a timer
  - Demonshriek now has a 5 second timer
  - Control Weather now has a 15 second timer
  - Electric Blast was changed from 100 seconds to 10 seconds
- Meteor Shower now is of element earth (previously air).  Not that it really matters, but it makes more sense this way.
- The Frozen effect from the Cone of Cold spell is changed from being protected by protection from fire to protection from cold
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:35:06 pm by Hayato »
aka graham

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:21:07 am »
Odd you should be able to modify your own posts. Now if it was someone else's then nope unless you are an Admin. And good work and keep it up!

Prom

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 03:25:09 pm »
- Added some new multi conditions.  More notable ones are:
  * +AntiEvil = Requires good alignment, victim is evil aligned, protection from evil, but NOT protection from good
  * +AntiGood = Opposite of the above
  * +AntiCold = Requires Mind Fire, protection from cold, but NOT protection from fire
  * -ElementalClash = being affected by the opposing element mind spell (for example, mind water when casting flame arrow)
  * -VictProtection = Protect from Elements now work against specific spells
  * -VictSanct = Sanctuary will reduce harm's multi
  * +VictLowWis or +VictLowCon = Targets that have low stats may take additional damage
  * -VictHighWis or -VictHighCon = Targets that have high stats may take less damage
- Divine Mind and Mind Element now gives +0.20 and +0.25, up from +0.15 and +0.18 respectively.  However, they are no longer effected by the mage and esper mastery bonuses, which means players with both masteries get a -0.04 nerf across all spells.  However players without either mastery get a +0.12 bonus to all spells.
- Numb Mind now reduces the affected caster's multi for all spells by 0.75.

I really like all of that

Offline Hayato

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 11:46:35 pm »
Thanks Prom for adding and fixing my additions:

- Frost Arrow (priest, mage), and Hail Storm (mage) are live
- Several minor tweaks for multis of various spells
- Changed the way NPC saving throws are handled.  They're a lot easier to debuff now, unless they're T4.  Also especially difficult if higher than level 140.
- Tweaked some of the debuffs on some spells, including the base chance to land said debuff.  Many are dependant on the multi of your staff now.
- Also tweaked the effects of various debuffs/buffs to take staff multi into account.

Have fun!
aka graham

Offline Jason Orsini

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 02:19:29 pm »
spells for addition, should remove some of the useless existing ones.

Entomb, similar to Suffocate, encase your opponent in some gravelike state?

Withering soul, adds ticking damage or something i can't come up with anything....

Flesh scourge, damage spell? not sure what it could/should do, maybe slice open flesh, and something else i dunno.

Acid trap, can place puddles "invisible"? of acid that opponent steps into if they walk into that room and it explodes?

if that is added maybe upgrade the usage of TRAP aware?

well can't come up with anything more.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:21:04 pm by Jason Orsini »

Offline Hayato

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 02:27:22 pm »
How about damage over time that is alignment based?

dunno if that's out of my league though.

traps would be nice if I knew how to make them :P  I'm not sure where to start as it stands.  Maybe something similar to those summons, except it doesn't follow you, it just stays there and explodes
aka graham

Offline Jason Orsini

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 02:32:59 pm »
could work,

so summoning acid,fire,ice,earth,water, etc elements that explodes in ways when someone walks into the room.
trap aware some usage to succesfully dodge the blast? water trap, should add drowning effect ;D

and damage over time sure,

sounds perfect for withering soul, and others like it,
being evil in the "soul" adds damage over time, more damage the more evil you are? and vice versa, but wouldn't that just add to the fact everyone being neutral in that case, so then alignment is useless and lame?

could add something like disarm but as spell, maybe encumbered? makes the weapon of opponent to heavy to use for specific time limit? or is that to abusable... or hard to code.

also add something similar to bash but in spellform perhaps,
maybe summoning meteorites that crash into the ground sending your opponent flying on its ass?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:35:29 pm by Jason Orsini »

Offline Jaros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 07:44:01 pm »
woot for traps

how about some skills that require you to be flying.  like 'spitfire'

Offline Jason Orsini

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 05:27:41 am »
wouldn't flying make it hard to "concentrate" on your spellbuild up, like lower your multis for certain spells, and maybe raise on others.
flying can have spells like airbomb or whirlwind, tornado? i dunno..... hehe

traps ftw... but remember to fix trap aware and some other shit for casters so there is a chance to avoid or atleast minimize the damage from them