Author Topic: To those of you working on old and new zones in the Buildport  (Read 6282 times)

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
At present there is an unusually large number of players working on zones in 6002, and some of you are new to 4D, or to building in general.
This is just a reminder that in 4D we have a lot of neat extra stuff in our OLC, that not all Muds can provide, which gives us the opportunity to build unusually challenging zones.

I am going to list a few of them below, might add more later;

- Listen/smell/taste/feel descs for rooms and objcets, that can be used to put Quest hints in
- Night descs, that can be used for mere atmosphere or hints
- Moon Phases and Seasons; Events can be set to occur only during a particular season or moon phase
- Room Sectors that hurt you, unless you use protection (f.i  Sector DESERT, UNDERWATER, SPACE)
- Lately we also added the Room flag IRRADIATION, which has both negative and positive effects
- The mob flag SKINABLE (remember you have to also make a skin object, if an object doesn't already exist for it)
- Various types of portals that give different messages when entering them;
  36) room portal 
  42) climbable   
  50) descendable
  51) bush portal         
  52) water portal
  53) hole portal
- You can also make a portal harder to detect, by using a teleport script instead 
- The DG scripts are extremely versatile, a good scriptor can do almost anything with a trigger 

That's all that comes to mind today.
Feel free to contribute, if you have more neat tips for Builders.   

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: To those of you working on old and new zones in the Buildport
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:31:51 am »
Different messages given when using portals:

room portal: You enter <object s-desc>.
climbable/descendable (I didn't get any message when using these).
bush portal: You scurry through the branches, the sharp thorns scratching your arms and legs.
water portal: You take a deep breath and dive into the water.
hole portal: You squeeze through the narrow hole, almost getting stuck on the way.

Another portal that wasn't listed:
74) portal hurdle: You jump over <object s-desc>.
- it took me a bit to figure out how to use this portal - obviously the keyword is jump.