Author Topic: Building / Scripting Materials  (Read 12408 times)

Offline Bane

• Coder
    • View Profile
    • Email
Building / Scripting Materials
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:21:51 am »
We have a link our our site thats suppose and use to on the old site give download links to reference material to learn building and scripting. These was removed when the site was updated and Diandra was left in charge of emailing people with these materials.

Now i could be mistaken but Diandra has been active lately, and I dont see why it would hurt to add links to downloads or upload them here on the forums.

Was just brought to my attention because Calypso was trying to learn scripting and only had the advance scripting reference.

I was going to post them but I cant even find my copies.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Building / Scripting Materials
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 01:15:24 pm »
I used to email my copies to people, since when they ask they're usually "in the zone to build" and waiting for Di can take a couple days, but since my computer went *klunk*, I don't have files to email.

Offline Calypso

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 04:03:23 pm »
I am grateful for the help files on build port (help-trigedit-menu) and the extensive examples provided on TBAMUD.com port 9091. I was able to figure out a lot on my own.

That, and I bothered Kvetch and Bane a lot.

But a scripting manual for beginners would be amazing to have as a reference. What I struggle with the most is syntax and what commands are available. While there is a help file on what commands are available (help trigedit-commandlist) there is, to my knowledge, no help file on syntax.
I get my energy from my Inner G.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 10:57:37 pm »
I did remember that since the files were emailed to me, I do still have a copy, but all it is is the easy scripts and the advanced scripts.  I've always said that most of my scripts are just hacks of stuff that worked in one script thrown togethjer to hopefully work in another - usually there is at least one or two errors that have to be cleared up (and since I know what I want the script to do I can't figure out what's going wrong...

I have emeailed these files to Caly and will email them to whoever else asks.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 03:35:42 am »
I keep upgrading the Advanced Scripts file with new and better examples as I get across them, so maybe I should mail you the latest copy, Kvetch?

However, the entire file is a jumble, with no logical order, and I only find my way around it myself because I usually remember where I put the examples. Still, I refer to the file whenever I am working on the scripting part of a zone, and since my memory is so bad I probably couldn't do without it.

You can set up a script in many different ways to reach the same result at the end, and each scriptor seems to have their own style and preferences. Scripting is more like coding than building, which is probably why our coders are much better than me at setting up scripts. The problem is that whenever I ask any of then for help I get something so advanced that I don't quite understand how it works. It's much harder to copy parts of something you don't fully understand, so I mostly prefer to use a more straightforward, but usually longer and more circumstantial ways of doing things.

Some day, when I get the time and energy I'm planning to organise the examples in the file in an order that makes it easier to navigate. The problem is that I seem to get inevitably diverted by something more urgent...

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 06:09:38 pm »
Yeah, I'd thought about reorganizing and using different examples too, but keep the core parts of the advanced scripts, which is what I like.  I tend to ignore the first few pages before section 1 (or it is 0?) which just seems to be a jumble of scripts that are sort of explained by some text before it.  I would like the more recent copy that you have though, if I could get it from you.  It would be *awesome!!*

Offline Calypso

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 10:08:08 am »
Why not move the manual to the forum? Then you can add to it and everyone get the additions immediately. People can us the FIND feature on their computer to find what they are looking for. And it is easy for mods to modify and add to their posts.
I get my energy from my Inner G.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 01:06:19 pm »
It would be nice to have it on the website, but I am not well enough versed in drupal - or whatever the codebase is for thje website to do it.  As for putting it on the forum, there does actually seem to be a limit to the length of a post so it would end up being multiple posts.  That being said - maybe the way to go is to create a topic in the forums that only IMM's can post to (so there aren't so many responses) in which each response is a different secion of the advanced scripts so you can go to the doors respnse if you're trying to remember how to do doors (and not have to try to find it in the paperwork).  I may try to do that tonight.

Offline Diandra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 02:20:54 pm »
Here's the buildingfiles I have.

Offline Diandra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 02:26:43 pm »
And the second part. (Seems you can only upload 4 files per post.)

One warning though: those files are not uptodate anymore.

For instance concerning building: the day/night description and the moonphases and such aren't added in any of the files.

Nor are any other changes that have been made after the moonphases.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 03:50:18 pm »
Cool, now I can get copies of the ones I lost in my kerpluncked computer.  Thanks, Di!

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 03:56:23 am »
Hmm, I am a computer idiot myself, but I'll see if this works with the latest edition of the Advanced Scripts file: