Author Topic: Forum Updates  (Read 12801 times)

Offline Once

• View Profile
Forum Updates
« on: November 06, 2013, 05:20:41 am »
I upgraded the forum like 7 versions to SMF 1.1.19.  

SPAM Bots Annihilated:

I also updated the member registration system to deal with the spam issue. Instead of captcha's new users just have to enter Molly's name to register. Betting every spam bot out there is too stupid to solve that one. Tried to make it O'Hara at first but the system didn't like the quote.

I also added a bunch of new features to take us into something approaching the common era. Would like some of you to think about what a new theme would look like cause personally I think this one's kind of boring.

Additional New features:

JQuery Notifications: We now have a JQuery based Notification system. When someone sends you a PM or replies to one of your posts you see a fancy little popup that sticks around for 7.5 seconds.  This may spam the fuck out of you the first time you login because you've probably got a lot of unread posts that you haven't bothered to look at you lazy bastards. I think if you click the popup it'll take you straight to the post too.

Lost Post Prevention: With this new system, if your browser crashes while you're writing a post, when you log back in the contents of your post should actually still be in the "reply" box. God damn I wish we'd had this years ago. Just tested this, it works! Just hit reply on the thread you lost the window on and your text should still be there.  

Hover Tooltips for Posts: If you hover over a topic long enough inside of a sub-forum you'll get a little tooltip that shows you a preview of the post. Ain't that nice and web 2.0 like. We can change the amount of characters it shows, the colors of it, the font size, and the amount of time you have to hover over to see the tooltip. Currently it's at .5 of a second.

Drafts: You can now create drafts of posts for more complex posts that you don't have time to finish. This should be good for those of you that like to hit the forums while at work. Please use the god damned drafts before posting your stupider ideas or flames. You can see your drafts from any reply window and edit them by clicking the little pencil.

Google+ on topics: Cause you know, viral marketing. Might just disable this later if enough of you bitch about it. Seems kind of cool and I've seen a few of you on Google+

DIAF,
Once
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:38:54 am by Once »

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Updates
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:40:58 pm »
Nice work, Once. :)

I particularly appreciate you dealing with the spambots, I really hated those, and they made it very hard for new players to join the Forum.

Let's just hope that your assessment of their intelligence is accurate, if so, it's really a funny way to trick them.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:11:00 am »
Am I the only one that no longer has the "view unread messages" link on the forums?  If so, how do I get it back?  I don't like having to spend lots of time trying to figure out if the newest post in an area is one I've already read or not.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:27:45 am »
There is a link, "Show unread posts" on top of the sidebar to the left, among other useful links.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:14:03 am »
I don't have the sidebar to the left.  That is the problem.  I guess it's just me, but it is annoying.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 10:14:52 am »
Ah.. found out how to get the sidebar back.  yay me!

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 03:02:00 pm »
Liking this more that the old forums. Still kinda needs to get used too. But kudos to Once for doing the update :)

Prometheus