Author Topic: Some RP tips for the event  (Read 12126 times)

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Some RP tips for the event
« on: April 25, 2008, 04:02:28 am »
Some initial tips about the Roleplay

So the event has started, and we already have had a couple of entertaining sessions. The logs of those will hopefully be posted soon.

For those of you who hasn't yet been part of anything, here are some general tips:

Go with the flow of the event. Don’t make things too complicated. This is not the type of roleplay where you have to use 'Thee' or 'Thou', and call people m’lord or m’lady.  Normal everyday language is all you need, as long as you keep it IC.

The Poet could potentially be anyone in 4D, including the players.  It will soon become obvious who the targets are, and consequently also some of the suspects.
If there are any specific suspects at a certain point of the event, those would of course be good choices to interview and try to entrap, but remember that you need to pesuade an imm to participate for those parts, or the mob will just sit there looking dumb. :)

You should keep and post logs of any session you get involved with on this board. There will be specific awards for good leadership. If several people are involved in the same session, check it with each other, so you avoid posting double logs.

You yourself could take the role of a cop, an Interdimensional agent, a private investigator, a journalist, or just a concerned citizen. You could for instance set up a RP session with any of the two leading Police officers, and interview them for your newspaper, or have them deputize you. They might even give you a badge to flash at people if you convince them.
If you are a Hero/RPL, you should try to assemble groups to go investigating with yourself, encourage players to investigate, on their own, or just draw people into discussions and speculations about who the killer could be and why. In an event like this you could even sit and Roleplay at Recall, which is otherwise not recommended.

It’s OK to discuss the case over gossip channel, in fact you should rather use that than IC, since we want to include the newbies, if possible. Encourage any newbie you see with nogos still toggled to turn the channel on, so they can participate.

Some of you might even think it entertaining to play a suspect. Remember – The Poet could be anyone; a mob, a mort or an imm.

And please clean the logs before posting them!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 04:38:40 am by Molly »

Leonardo

Re: Some RP tips for the event
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 04:11:22 am »
You should avoid the RP command then if the discussions can be brought to GOSSIP.
The RP command sets a (RolePlaying) flag next to your title but banish you from all the channels even IC chan.
For who saves the logs and doesn't want to get crazy cleaning it, I advice you to turn prompt off by: PROMPT NONE command and set your client to not ECHO what you type.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 04:13:00 am »
Yeah, if you're gonna post logs and you can't be bothered cleaning them (although I'd much rather you did clean them) make sure your prompt is off, and you type 'look' and 'who' less often than usual.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 04:26:02 am »
Log quality:
Virisin's advice is good. I also saw a log where the player apparently had brief mode on. That makes the log a lot less spammy, so when you go roleplaying you could use brief and set your prompt as none. That will save you some work when cleaning up the logs.

It's really important that you clean your logs before you post them. And it's also important that you post the logs as soon as possible after the session, before you log out, so that we get the logs in reasonably chronological order.
Also it would be appreciated if you post the time of day when your session took part in the Header. That makes it easier to track the logs later. (You get the time of day by typing DATE in the game).

Remember that we are going to give rewards for logs, so don't be lazy logging your sessions. However, if a group of players are in the same session, you should decide between you who makes and posts the actual log. We don't want duplicates of the same session.

It doesn't matter if your logs are short. In fact some episodes should better be kept short. Even a discussion at Recall between players might be of interest for the case.
You can post logs of only 2 lines, if you like, as long as they are in any way pertinent to the event. And you can also collect several short encounters into the same log.

Some advice about the roles you take on:
You have to stick to the same role throughout the event, so you cannot for instance play a federal agent one day and a journalist the next.

Now we already have a group of CIIA agents, (Lionheart and his gang), so that angle is covered.
The easiest way, which will also give you the most acting space, is just to simply be a 'vigilante' (concerned citizen, trying to help the law, but without official authorization).
If you want something slightly more official, try to apply for a job as cop with Captain Murphy
Or act as a free lance journalist, Private detective, Bounty hunter just after the reward, or something similar.

About RP etiquette:
When you roleplay, try to follow the generally excepted rules for good RP, i.e.

- Don't mention things that your character normally wouldn't have any knowledge about, (even if you did read about it in one of the posted logs). Referring to rumours is OK, but try to think about what your char realistically would know and not know. There is a distinction between IC and OOC that should be observed.
- Don't 'forceplay'  - i.e. try to force actions or feelings on the other part. That is generally considered very bad RP etiquette. You have to let your counterpart decide for themselves how they want to react to your actions. The exception is if they consent OOCly to being forced in beforehand, (over tell or note).

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 02:11:16 am by Molly »

Offline Estidn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 10:26:50 pm »
Thank you Molly for cleaning up my logs. I lost the first one and the second one I had to run on.
P.S. She's right no forced rp :-P or editing logs to make it seem like you didnt force them to rp :-P
Love you Molly and I'll work off it
Est

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 12:43:49 am »
What do you mean about forced roleplay?
That the police threw you in the nick for killing on of the mobs in the Quest and confessing to all the other murders?
Isn't that exactly what would happen in that situation? What did you expect?

You'll be taken before the judge tomorrow.
Forcibly.

Offline Estidn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 09:48:53 pm »
Lol will I have a chance to defend myself against them or will this be the same as last time :P
And the will it seem like I went willingly :P
Estidn

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 12:51:35 am »
I suggest you get yourself a good lawyer among the players for the trial.
For now you can regard yourself as out on bail.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 01:49:30 am »
This is a tips thread, not a conversation thread. If either of you carry on derailing this thread there will be dire consequences.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 04:33:32 pm »
I'm shaking in me boots. :p