Author Topic: RP Groups and Family Based Rp Group  (Read 19011 times)

Offline Robert

• Pawn star.
    • MSN Messenger - geamu@hotmail.it
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - geamu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Hive
    • Email
RP Groups and Family Based Rp Group
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:16:52 am »
Yo, i have an ideea about the RP groups, i was wondering if it's possible to be in a FAMILY RP GROUP and in the same time in a NORMAL RP group for example i have the Family RP group Alderisio should be cool to be able to join another rp group like Jesters or Cthulyte or in the case of a female player Bitches or as ive seen in LionHeart's rp group Fearless.
Family rp groups should have nothing to do with real rp groups, i mean yes I rp an Alderisio member but thats just my name as it is with Orsini too, so it would be cool to be able to be an Alderisio or Orsini and in the same time to be in Jesters, Cthulyte or Fearless. seeying that there are only two family rp groups now.
Let me know what you think.
Rawr!!

Leonardo

Re: RP Groups and Family Based Rp Group
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 07:28:45 am »
Yeah, I believe that'll be cool. How it is right now, if you want to join a RP group as Jesters for the purpose of it, you must betray your family for this. It would be nice for players to have a family group and also be able to join a purpose RP group.
I've seen something like this already, I spotted once Rayne which was (Bitch) (Orsini) if I don't remember wrong. She was a Bitch idea follower and an Orsini family member, which is pretty cool.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 03:10:09 pm »
I mentioned this idea on the old forums.. Everyone liked it then too. I support it.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 03:32:45 pm »
While I think the idea has merit, I do have to question the need of people to belong to so many groups.  I mean, my thoughts is that the groups should be limited otherwise you're going to have people running around with their titles/rpgroups/flags/etc taking up 3 lines every time you do a who. 

My 1/2 cent.

Kvetch

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 03:50:30 pm »
Personally I don't really understand why the families need to be RP Groups. I mean, why can't you just put the family name in brackets on your title?

As it is, we'll soon have more RP groups than we have players.
And the sad thing is that I rarely see any of those groups actually doing any roleplay at all.

So I must ask myself why people are so eager to be in one or more of those groups.
It couldn't be the transport item, could it?

By the way, don't forget that RP groups need 5 members, and that they also cost tokens.
That seems to have been overlooked lately.

And yes, I know that I sound grumpy, but there is some cause behind that grumpiness.

Leonardo

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 04:14:01 am »
I have to agree with Molly, what's the purpose of having a family RP Group. I remember the Alderisio and the Orsini in the old times used to put their family name in their title and that's it, they RPed just well.
A family can build their family house and have a recall item even if their family name is not coded as a RP Group.

Having your family coded as a RP Group just limits your possibilities as to join any of the existent RP Groups and gain the benefits of it.

In the end, a player can RP his char as a member of a family and join a RP Group for RPing an affinity to that group background story and mission.

A bit of mess has been around with RP Groups, there aren't any well thought regulations and standards:
- A RP Group must have his group Base/Headquarters built before being created
- The scripts on the groups recall items are old and not well written, some of them even bugged or not protected
- The imms still have to intervene too much for the groups, lose your group recall item (call Imm), a member is added to your rp group (call imm), in some cases the imms even have to edit the recall item script and add the names of the members one per one.
- A RP Group recall item standard must be created
- The RP Group items must be sold only in the RP Group Headquarters and at a price in Award Points, want the recall item? RP son.
- I created in the BP 'The RP Groups Dimensional Vortex' wich if put in Recall Point will grant the RP Groups Members access to their HQ through it and a free 'teleport' around the game for the other players not in a RP group, so the group recall item becomes really an optional.
- I rewritten most the RP Groups recall items using a standard and a set of vars to easily modify the item descriptions witout touching the script so that it could be adapted to any RP group in less than 5minutes and witout scripting knowledge.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 04:16:01 am by Leonardo »

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 04:26:39 am »
I changed my mind. I agree with Molly and LH. I don't like seeing all these new flags damnit. Especially when they don't even seem to have 5 members. A family name isn't an RP group, and while I can almost understand Orsini because they WERE pretty much an RP group, and they actually had active members... Who the hell are Galliano?

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 06:03:15 am »
You would need to ask Jason on that. Not sure if he even reads the forums or not  :D

Prometheus.

Offline kitolani

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 07:28:08 pm »
My extremely abridged opinion on the matter is this:
I don't think we need an RP group for every family in the 4D's.
It's pointless clutter to an already roleplaying-starved environment. :-\
The ones that are already existing are here whether they have active members or not, but like Molly said, we're at a point where we have more inactive roleplaying groups than we have players. If you want to roleplay a certain family, just do it. You shouldn't need a flag to motivate or remind you to do so.

Offline Robert

• Pawn star.
    • View Profile
    • Hive
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:47:34 pm »
HAHAHA, i liked how virisin quickly changed his mind when people started to disagree with it, yes it's true we dont need a flag to be a family i didnt ask for a flag as i remember well Orsini was the first one to get it not us the Alderisio and for now there are only two family groups with flags Orsini and Alderisio, seeying that the Orsini are not active anymore cept for Kendra who became an Orsini over the night and thats about it, as for the Alderisio well, Me, Xeriuth, Sebastian and Juno are online 2-3 days a week. My point was seeying that its in the game and im not saying not to take it out as i said was just an ideea, to be able to join another group. And dont give me the "lot's of flags in theyr titles" bullshit cause RPL players that have it don't do shit, Jesters don't RP shit, Riddlers dead, Bitches don't RP shit, the wierd group that Alpha made  Cthulyte or what ever dont RP shit, so my question is, why keep them anyways, remove them all and thats it cause no one seems to use them, yes its cool to have multiple flags in ur title like "HERO" "RPL" "JESTER" "BITCH" and whatnot but start using them, i haven't seen Virisin say something funny in ages not that he is funny i personally think he doesn;t have a sense of humor, the only one that keeps the Jesters going is Thott, you address yourself to a "Bitch" with Bitch gets offended remove the fucking flag if ur not one then why keeping it, Lolthite Dead as well. So Remove them all and lets go back to the monotony that started to be for like 2-3 years now. I remember back in the day Soulstar taking like 12-13 persons to a group leveling party man that was cool, I remember Zsijn doing his crazy shit all day long, I remember Omega solving stuff that no one did before, I remember Once with his incredible scams, I remember Turin selling waybread for millions saying its wonder bread and so on, today is all about bitching sitting at recall and coming up with new ideeas on how to screw up others people work like the GM thing that Virisin brought up cause hes too lazy to move his fat ass and do something. I don't really care on what you are going to do from now on cause back in the day was cool to stay and play in 4d. Now its not so cool anyways, i left 3 years ago leaving it like its now, came back same ol stuff.
You wan't to change stuff, and bring more players online start playing and stop bitching, and another thing remove the Helper flag too cause people have it and don't help jack.
Thats my oppinion on how the situation stands now.
Peace, love ya all cept Virisin hes a Kiwi.
Rob
Rawr!!

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 04:06:20 am »
What is the matter with some of you people? Can't you keep your personal dislikes out of the Forums?
If you have a problem with another player, sort it out in the game or put them on permanent ignore, but don't bring the issues to the Forums. These Forums are for discussions, not for bickering.
I you cannot keep a civil tone in your posts, don't post at all.  >:(

I would have removed Robert's post, if he hadn't had some valid points in between the ranting. So I'll try to ignore the rant and just address those points.

First of all, changing your mind seems like a a very sensible thing to do, if someone presents you with argument strong enough to sway your mind. I actually wish more of you would listen to other people's arguments sometimes, instead of just riding your own hobby horse into the Valley of Death.

That said, Robert is right about a couple of things.

1. Many of the existing Roleplay groups are dead, and I don't see much motivation for their existence any more, if there ever was one. If you have a roleplay group and nobody in it bothers to roleplay around the theme for it, or worse still; if all the members but one have left - why keep the group? It seems that all people are interested in nowadays is to get as many flags as possible into their title, and to get access to the 'afar' command. That is their main motivation, not the roleplay itself.

2. Robert is also correct that people used to roleplay more in the old days. Back then we didn't have Roleplay groups and award points, people roleplayed because they liked it and because it was fun. Now we have RP groups and RP leaders and Award points, and nobody seems to roleplay any more, unless we more or less kick them into it with a global event. And even then it was rather discouraging to see how the ones that were most active and produced the best sessions were players who weren't  RPL or belonged to any RP group, like Erwin and Kitolani. It also seems that the ones who use to complain the loudest about nobody ever roleplaying in 4D any more were remarkably inactive during the event. The only hero or RPL that did anything positive during the event was Lionheart, who started the CIIA group, which then provided most of the momentum. Where were the rest of the RPLs/Heroes? Where were you yourself, Robert? If you don't take the opportunity when offered, you sort of lose your right to complain.

In the future I think we need to do something about the inactive RP group and RPLs. For starters I have appointed Diandra to be the new Roleplay imm, since there is no sign of Solana returning in forseeable time. She will probably have some ideas about how to handle the inactive RPLs and RP groups. My own suggestions would be these:
- Close down  the dead Roleplay groups, unless they show some activity. Perhaps we could offer a refund of half the token fee paid for the Room and Recall item. (That is, if there ever paid anything in the first place and if there even is an active member left to receive the refund).
- Remove the RPL flags from RPLs who are clearly inactive.

And since the only way to really prove activity would be to produce some logs from RP sessions, I propose this rule: Any RP group or RPL that doesn't post at least one RP log a month on the Forum Board made for that purpose will be considered inactive and lose their flag. To regain it, you'd have to reapply, and possibly pay a reduced fee too.

To return to the subject of this thread, I actually like the Family names myself, I even think they make a lot more sense and should be potentially better for RP than many of the existing Groups. In the old days people used to form dynasties. They named their babies and toddlers and then had other players crate chars to roleplay them as they grew up. A great way for a new player to get introduced to the social parts of the game. I'd like to see that happen again.

I also think that you should be able to both have a family name and a RP group. But the easiest way of doing that is really to just put the family name in your title, like I do myself. If you are the only member in that family, there is no need for a roleplay group. If and when you have actually managed to form a Dynasty, you could turn it into a RP group with a family mansion, perhaps even a crashproof room. But you could also just keep the family name in the title and be free to join another RP group. We don't really want RP groups being created just for the sake of players collecting as many flags as possible.

I even think we should consider removing the existing Family tags and make all of them equal. After all, I don't think the Alderisios have a RP room and Recall item, nor do the Orsinis. But correct me if I am wrong.

And by the way, we should also remove 'personal' flags like 'Asshole', since they are now used as excuses for creating more such flags.

Just use your titles, that's what they are there for. :P

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 05:31:12 am by Molly »

Offline Robert

• Pawn star.
    • View Profile
    • Hive
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 10:52:30 am »
Ok, sorry for the hard words but hey its the truth, anyways bout the rp event sorry i had stuff to do i tried to be a part of it but it seems everytime i logged in there was nothing going on, now your right we dont have a crashproof room or a recall item, but i do have more members active from my family, i didnt have the ideea to make a rp family group or what ever, i just came up with the ideea of beeying able to join a real rp group too, anyways you guys should start playing more and talk less.
Have Fun and play nice kids.
R.O.B
Rawr!!

Offline Estidn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 01:58:33 am »
I agree totally with Molly's points except for the removal of personal titles, those are sweet. But, I think maybe taking it a step further and removing rp points all together. Just give everyone the ability to pretitle/enter-leave. My reasoning is that it'll make people start roleplaying because it's fun instead of to just get rewards. I mean I had the most fun roleplaying back in the day without the extra goodies it comes with because it seems like back then it wasn't forced.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 03:03:13 pm »
I'm almost with Estidn on this one, it seems everyone only ever does stuff for the rewards these days. All those flags people only get for the extra benefits.. It's sad.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 04:25:56 pm »
I think that perhaps to promote roleplaying, we should let those with the RP flag set their own walkin/walkout.  Dunno if this is able to be done or not, but it seems if we want to promote roleplaying, the little things like this may be a place to start.  I'd still save the pretitle (and a few other things) as something you'd have to roleplay to get award points to buy.  As I'm writing this, I'm thinking Hmm... can players do this already or not?  It's been so long since I've really played and even then I never used all of the things we could do.

Kvetchy