Author Topic: A suggestion towards grouping EXP distribution  (Read 14865 times)

Offline Estidn

• View Profile
A suggestion towards grouping EXP distribution
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:13:58 am »
My solution for the grouping thing was this
Say two people are leveling
The highest level/tier gets half of the total exp he would get if leveling by himself.
Say that is 2% of his total exptnl
Then the others in his group get 2% exptnl knocked off.

Therefor a group of four people kill a mob worth one mil.
The tier4/lvl50 gets 250000 exp which is 5.22 percent of his exptnl
Everyone then gets 5.22 percent of their exptnl knocked off?

Any questions.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:41:58 pm by Mordecai »

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mordecai wanted me to post this
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 01:38:24 am »
I don't see how it would work..

This means that it would just be like solo levelling, only a bit slower, and everyone would level at the same rate. Seeing as group members are only ever getting a percentage of their tnl, they'd never level until the leader gained over 100% tnl. ie: needs 10mill to level, gains 15mill from a mob. And then he, and all of his group would level.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 01:41:43 am »
Do you mean xptnl as in the current xp you have to next level, or the current xp a class needs to level from one level to the next?

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:58:44 am »
True, if it's the total xp per level, not just the xp tnl at the time, it might work. Let me think on the maths:

Say I lead a group. At level 50 tier 4 Ranger my total xp tnl would be: 627038688

If I kill a Dino or something and get 15mill, thats:

15000000/(15000000+627038688)*100=2.3%

Someone else in my group that needs the same amount of exp tnl as me get's 2.3% knocked off, and gets 144mill.. Lucky them. I think there could be a better equation..

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 02:01:27 am »
The grouping system looks ok to me.

For players around the same level, that's equivalent to them getting xp divvied up somewhat equally.

I would guess then you'd have to take a look at players of a differing level.

Even then, I don't see any major flaws in it, except perhaps you'd have to take on mobs of a level around the highest player in the group's level.

It would prevent power levelling, because of the percentage of xp gained, but ... would it discourage players to group to take out 'bosses' of a zone?

Eg, maybe players group to take out Voltron.

You get a few lowbie priests, and one buff high level tanker. The priests of course cast 'heal' on the tanker, and the tanker takes a long while to kill him. The tanker may get good xp, but the priests don't, compared to the effort they make.

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 02:03:20 am »
True, if it's the total xp per level, not just the xp tnl at the time, it might work. Let me think on the maths:

Say I lead a group. At level 50 tier 4 Ranger my total xp tnl would be: 627038688

If I kill a Dino or something and get 15mill, thats:

15000000/(15000000+627038688)*100=2.3%

Someone else in my group that needs the same amount of exp tnl as me get's 2.3% knocked off, and gets 144mill.. Lucky them. I think there could be a better equation..

I think this means 2.3% of that someone's xp TNL.

If he's a level 1 hunter, with maybe 1000xp tnl, he'll just get 2.3% of that, which is 23 xp.

And if the person is the same level as you, he won't get 144M knocked off, he'll get the same amount of xp you get, ie, in that case, 15M. (Because if 15M is 2.3% for you, it is still 2.3% for him)

*I'm assuming that both Viri and Estidn means the total XP TNL of a class, not the current XP TNL of a person.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 02:06:32 am by erwin »

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 02:10:14 am »
On second thought, maybe the system would discourage highbies and lowbies grouping together, as per the dino example.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 02:12:42 am »
Ah yes, silly me. that 144mill should have been 14mill. Read my own calculator wrong. :P And didn't even think about it logically.

Right, so the calculations need the total xp tnl of the highest member in the group, but the percentage it takes off the other players in the groups tnl is their current tnl. Then is seems to make sense.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 02:14:05 am »
But.. As long as it cuts a percentage off the other group members CURRENT exp tnl, they'll only level when the leader does. Which leads me to believe the equation won't work again.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 02:18:00 am »
Right, so I keep confusing myself. It should always be total xp tnl.

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 02:18:20 am »
It should be total xp tnl, because you're considering total xp TNL for the leader, hence you'll be considering total xp TNL for the group members though.

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
  • Fizban, the Mangy Wizard
    • MSN Messenger - Fizban1216@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Fizban1216
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A suggestion towards grouping EXP distribution
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 11:11:03 pm »
Flawed, hugely.

I'm Tier 1 Level 1. I lead the group. I need 29,000 exp.  I am grouped with a Tier 4 Level 50 player.    I kill a mob for 58,000 exp, they get over 2 billion exp.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 11:21:54 pm »
It's off highest level/tier rather than group leader.

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 10:54:41 am »
I still think it should be the way it was, a mob gives 1mil exp, there's two people in the group and each gets 500k exp. Just divide it evenly, or bring back you get whatever percentage of the group you have. And with it reinitiate a leader tanker instead of hits hitting everyone.  Also mobs in harder zones need to not be soloable. I don't think many if any could have solo'd the harder zones like Rip in Time and Aussie back in the day... they could but it was difficult. Nowadays even as a non-gm the hardest levelling mobs in dark planet and prehistoric forest are soloable.
Simply balance the mobs and make grouping well worth doing and the mud willl grow and become closer knit.  That's how I see it.
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 03:43:30 pm »
On the old port, all the mobs were soloable. It's just that there were less uber players, with cheating how it is these days, practically everyone has the best set of equipment possible, which means we can all solo almost all the mobs. (Not including Gojira and mobs like that, where you just need to sit there fighting while a priest spams heal on you. :()

Anyhow, if we can't get a good new exp system, I'm happy for it to go back to how it was like Xeri said aswel. I think the I'd rather allow powerlevelling to be an option if it meant we also had cool groups, than not allowing either.