Poll

Which Grouping System Would You Prefer?

Normal Grouping
Complex Grouping

Author Topic: Grouping  (Read 42811 times)

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Grouping
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2008, 09:05:44 am »
My only problem with powerleveling would be the T4/L50 person that is at recall and asks "How do I get to Olde Yorke" and means it because all they've done is follow people from recall.  But we need this grouping system in, even if it does cause this.

Kvetch

Offline kitolani

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2008, 03:06:36 pm »
That's the beauty of 4d. You can be a t4/L50 and still be eaten alive out in the real world if you aren't paying attention. No amount of powerleveling can substitute throuroughly investigating the realms. In fact, since a lot of the places I've chosen to explore end up with high level mobs that eat my face, being a higher tier/level would encourage exploration rather than hinder it.

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2008, 11:27:57 pm »
Little off topic to respond to Noinar question.

You don't need to be a builder to code. Scripting helps with people who have questions with scripting and it helps if you need to code something for dg scripts. I never build or scripted to code. But right now with 4 coders I'm not sure we need another coder but that isn't my realm.

Prometheus.

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
  • Has delusions of adequacy
    • View Profile
    • Multiplayer Online Game Anyone?
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2008, 10:39:41 pm »
How about this as step one then:

- exp gets split between all people who just hit a mob, not based on how much damage they did.
- Involvement is always even between group members
- mob damage doesn't get split among the group, but instead only hits 1 person
- Chance to land an attack won't be affected by involvement any more, your group members won't get in your way.

Those are easy changes to do, and will bring it pretty close to the original system.
I have a feeling that this won't be the magic bullet though, but we will see.

These changes are now in.
Please let me know how many people are loving grouping now.

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
  • Has delusions of adequacy
    • View Profile
    • Multiplayer Online Game Anyone?
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2008, 02:42:52 am »
Here are some things to know:

Before this code change, the EXP that a mob distributed when it died to each player as based on the portion of damage that player did compared to the total damage that the mob received from all sources.

This meant that if a mob with 600 exp, took 1000 damage from poison, and 1000 damage from walking in to a trap, and you did 8000 damage to it too, and it died.
You would receive (8000/(1000+1000+8000)) * 600 = 500 Exp

Now in this new system, because exp is split evenly between everything that deals damage to a mob, including poison, traps, and charmies.

This means that if this same mob with 600 exp, took 1000 damage from poison, and 1000 damage from walking in to a trap, and you did 8000 damage to it too, and it died.
You would receive (600/3) = 200 Exp

But it also means that you gain an even portion of exp from your group, for doing any amount of damage to a mob.

I have taken some suggestions from players that poison does very low amounts of damage in proportion to the exp it takes.
There are two solutions to this:
Either change the way poison damage works, so that it counts as damage done by a player. (I don't like this idea personally because it is easy to abuse, just run in a place with lots of mobs, and poison them all, and flee or retreat)
Or
Increase the amount of damage poison does, to make it worth the exp you invest in using it.

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2008, 11:22:03 am »
Increasing the amount of damage poison does would be a great idea, but make it do a different amount of damage in comparison to whether the victim be npc or pc. You do want to be poison 4'd and die in 1 second.  But I find that idea to be the better of the two.
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here