Author Topic: Moving of skills/spells to cater to GM's  (Read 16932 times)

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
  • Fizban, the Mangy Wizard
    • MSN Messenger - Fizban1216@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Fizban1216
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Moving of skills/spells to cater to GM's
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 11:01:44 pm »
Also, im sure a lot of GMs would be weakened quite a bit if all skills/spells were removed.

That's the goal. It's in fact not only not unfair, it's the most fair possibility.

Offline Grish

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 09:09:03 am »
So pretty much, GM would be worthless and unless a class had a specific bonus you wanted there would be no need to take it? For example, once I got all my -damage recieved and +magic damage outgoing I could just remort priest and not have to take thief ever because +100 attack points I wouldnt never need?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 09:24:34 am by Grish »

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 09:15:54 pm »
Pretty much. Why should we force players to play as a class they don't enjoy playing in order to remain competitive?

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 10:03:50 pm »
Also I am in the process (probably 70% done) of making it so technically GM's will no longer be able to use all tier 1/2 skills/spells. No, it's not as large of a change as that might sound like which is why I didn't see what other people thought before starting. I am NOT taking away any spells that they have now, I'm just adding a new argument to the skillo and spello macroes and altering the check from checking tiers to checking the value of that bit. I put all tier 3/4 skills/spells as 0 and 1/2 as 1 so essentially GM's can still cast all tier 1/2 skills, but it's because of the value of that bit and not directly because they are tier 1 or 2. What does this mean if you're a GM as of today? Nothing, you still have all the same skills/spells. What it does mean is we can now take skills/spells away from GM's without altering their level/tier. (I plan to lower brace, parry and mana shield back soon and set their value to 0 so GM's can't use them.)

Offline Grish

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 07:06:44 pm »
Wondering if when this change goes live some further balancing of classes will be done to allow a little better transition from T1-T2 to the upper tiers. For example its pretty clear advanced melee was a skill that you did not want GMs to have, will skills like that maybe come into play now in the upper tier 2, or do you just plan to replace the few skills which were recently ripped away. I know this tier 2 hunter remort has been lame, and if that skill became an option earlier it might make those last 10 levels or so a tad bit easier.

IMO this opens up a little bit of room to do a little more balancing like I suggested, and shuffle a few skills around to make midlife a little easier. At this point from my experiences with Grish as a pure melee character thus far, the middle tiers after a remort really leave a lot to desire.

While on the subject, I am curious why warriors dont get shortblade, yet rangers get both short and long. IMO warriors/hunters should be a master of melee combat, regardless of what the size of their weapon is.

One more thing, is parry fuggered? I never ever see mine trigger, regardless if short or long weapon in primary. I had this problem before, then it suddenly started to work, and then poof no parry messages anymore.

And one last thing, Kudos for hearing my cries for a fix, im sure it has been a big ol pain right square in your ass, but your effort really is appreciated, at least by me who has a long way to go before i see GM. So as the golen girls would say... thank you for being a friiiiend!

Edit:Afterthought
Ya know what might not be bad for realism, and good RP of the class values? Instead of giving all the classes that get certain skills and spells all at the exact same level, give them to each class in a unique, yet logical location. I will use advanced melee as an example, every class that can use it gets it at the exact same level. Where if classes were real professions certain classes would be capable of the skill or spell miles before others, my thoughts on that progression would be something like this: (just throwing a bit of randomness here)

Warrior T2-Level 25
Hunter -T2-Level 40
Thief T2-Level 50
Ranger T3-Level 10
Gypsy T3- level 25

This is an example of the possibilities which are being opened up, im not saying there is anything wrong with it, but it could make for stronger classes in certain times and points of their remorts. And in the end with a change like I made an example of, the only class which gets a push back is Gypsy, which 15 levels that early in a remort is not really that far at all.

/grain of salt.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:11:55 pm by Grish »

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 09:09:22 pm »
im sure it has been a big ol pain right square in your ass

Not too bad, all said and done the patch that I commited to the repository was 1,050 lines long, only took 3-4 hours total, maybe a bit less even.