Author Topic: Official Golem Discussions Thread  (Read 42995 times)

Leonardo

Official Golem Discussions Thread
« on: August 12, 2008, 09:44:34 am »
Use this thread to report Golem bugs and issues you might find unpleasant. I'll post a reply to your post when the bug is fixed so that you know.

Leonardo

Re: Official Golem Discussions Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 09:59:20 am »
I answer your post here so not to spam the Molly's Golem HELPFILE.

I agree with Grish on giving everybody the possibility to track down player with a T4 Spy Golem. I don't see why only PKers should benefit from this ability. I believe limiting the Spy on just player room is just and privacy respectful enough. I can make it that if a player is SITten you can't locate him. So who doesn't want to be located while idleing in his house have just to SIT. Do you think it's fair enough? I do.

I added the Golem discussion thread, thanks for pointing it out. Hope even the other players will contribute over the forum discussing the Golem's.

I believe you and armand did EMET the Golem and a second later quit, so the item didn't have time to LOAD in your inventory before you left the game. If you can log me what where you doing when this event happened I'll reward you.

The mud is not supposed to crash often anymore, in the last weeks I saw uptimes of 6-7 days.

If I make the Golem save over crash, I can't make it purge over QUIT and will generate a lot of bugs when you'll be supposed to lose your Golem you won't. But I'll think out a compromise about this. I can't predict crashes and make the golem save 5mins before crash that's insane :-)

We're already working on adding a function that will let you rename your golem anytime, it's already scripted but we need a code update for that so we're blocked till one of our 10 coders decides to dedicate us some time and update the code.

I think as far as privacy goes from my point of view it would be fine, however I would like to see the only PK restriction not be there. There could be times when a player is lost, and another player tries to help by using the spy to help them, or maybe other situations where a player may just need to spy/be spied on.

And btw, I think there needs to be an official golem discussion thread, to discuss bugs, ideas and suggestions.

2 items from me:

1.)Golems seem to have issues with vanishing even from inventory. Both armand and myself experienced this, we both claim to have had golems in our inventory and quit out only to log in and have it be gone. Mine personally was T2 if that had anything to do with it.

2.)IMO I would like to see some sort of way to protect golems and restore previous versions of it when lost under these circumstances. At this point with no way to ensure golem security these are a waste of TPs. My thoughts would be to have a monthly fee similar to a locker (paid with tps) for golem care and upkeep. With these fees you are able to maintain your golem, and in essence give it a perze type effect. I personally find it to be a waste of time to even attempt to level a golem up, and then lose it to a crash, specially since the last few days the mud has been crashing pretty consistently.

3.)On a crash have the golem file restore to 5 minutes prior to the crash if possible.

4.)Downtune golem power. Currently they are VERY overpowered, my t2 golem put me to shame on a 2 mil mob I was lucky to get 500k of it. These should be utility to the player, not stronger than the player.

5.)Customizable names? If changes do go in to help protect golems longevity, how about we do something that lets players restring their pets within reason for RP and fun?

6.)O'Doyle Rules.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:01:59 am by Leonardo »

Offline Grish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 11:31:24 am »
I can't predict crashes and make the golem save 5mins before crash that's insane :-)

What I meant was similiar to how player files are saved, if each player had a golem with a unique number that the mud could keep updating it would be easier to restore it with an automated system.

I am trying to get another one to keep testing, but am experiencing some unrealted issues that isnt allowing me.

Offline Grish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 12:47:55 pm »
Just had a thought, why not make the save file update to the last time the golem was Emet'd? Then have ferdinand have a script which can remake the golem and charge perhaps normal golem price + interest for losing it, or like I said a monthly fee to keep your golem.

Leonardo

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 03:13:21 pm »
What about you EMET your Golem, I save that it's tier2. Then drop it again and quit or go linkless. You come back, buy a new Golem and when you drop, it returns tier2 even if you lost it. This way everybody will have tier4 Golems wandering around and nobody will lose them anymore. It's not meant to be like that. It's meant to be hard to get a Golem to tier4 since they are very strong especially the bodyguard type, and once you got it tier4 it'll help you a lot in the game but you have also to face some risks and lose it.

Though I think that for testing losing your leveled Golem's because of bugs might result over-annoying. I will make them SAVE next week till we're in the testing grace period, but the feature will return to what it is now once the golems will officially be in the game. Unless you convince Molly to make them perzable as you wish... so once you leveled it to tier4 the game is over.

Offline Grish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 06:11:03 pm »
I agree that the golems should be able to be lost, but I am sure as well as everyone else from time to time has things outside of their control such as BAM your net goes down unexpectedly with no way to reconnect, so you lose your golem unfairly. I just would love for them to be crash proof somehow, any other style of loss outside of some unexpected bug it should be lost.

I concur with the fact they are very powerfull and leveling them should be a burden, but if its going to be a huge burden and they are going to be lost all the time it really loses the cool factor.

Also, the way you state it is that you just drop it and neglectfully quit and come back and buy it like its not a big deal. Im sorry, but your ACTIVE playerbase has little or no TPs to spend, so just pulling these TPs out of our butt isnt exactly easy at this point. If these end up costing 20 or more tps a pop, people will be careful with them.

OR, what about this.... assuming each golem is allowed to be unique, if it lost to any means other than death or mistreatment you will be allowed so many replacements before Ferdinand can no longer reconstruct the golem.  I would still love to see a way to make them crash proof, but having proverbial charges on them would be great. Lets say you could have up to 5 replacements, each one slightly more expensive than the previous. 10, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50. This would cost you 160 tps to purchase and replace your golem 5 times under this cost scheme.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:39:09 pm by Grish »

Offline Iwku

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 04:08:25 am »
Also, the way you state it is that you just drop it and neglectfully quit and come back and buy it like its not a big deal. Im sorry, but your ACTIVE playerbase has little or no TPs to spend, so just pulling these TPs out of our butt isnt exactly easy at this point. If these end up costing 20 or more tps a pop, people will be careful with them.

I'm a fairly active player and I have well over 100 TP's to spend, which I think is nothing compared to what others have. I first discovered the excitement of TP's by exploring the Agean Islands in prehistoric. I was having a lot of fun with it and wanted to excel in TP gathering because I'm not that great in other areas and recognized that a lot of players don't go after TP's so I might get an edge that way. Unfortunately I got sidetracked with other things.

I agree that levelling golems is special and there are risks involved, and I also agree that it sucks to lose one though no fault of your own, but I don't think your TP argument holds water. If you can't afford it and having a golem is important to you, then go trade.

I too would like to see some sort of system where you could reactivate a dead golem. I'm not sure what it would look like, but if I took a golem all the way to Tier 4 and lost it, I would be swearing.

ps I normally agree with you Grish on every post and argument you've  ever made on this topic and other topics. I was almost asleep and worried that you might take my comment the wrong way. I love how you speak up for things and say it how it is.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 05:39:55 am by Iwku »

Offline Iwku

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 04:56:53 am »
The other night, I was having a nice conversation with Rynock when suddenly his golem attacked either me or my golem. A fight persued. It was a blur but I think I was involved in the fight, not just my golem. He did later applogize...such a gentleman. Table Round should be proud!  :D

I'm eager to test this out --> if my golem can attack others. If it can, I think it's cool. It would be like PK without any risks.  You could track down a player and try to kill them and possibly actually kill them. Our fight didn't get that far so I don't know what the outcome would have been.

Beware anyone tomorrow who has an active golem. I'm going to get you...or die trying ;D

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 05:00:07 am by Iwku »

Offline Grish

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 10:30:39 am »
Hehe, thanks for the compliment Iwku, and it takes more than you disagreeing with my assumption about tps to get my feathers ruffled. You werent exactly what I meant as active since I might see you once a week if im lucky. I was refering to players such as myself, Rynock, Knecht, Armand and the host of other people with less than 4 remorts under their belt. You do make your point though that TPs are obtainable with some work, so that point is well taken.

After reading your post and thinking about it for awhile I have a suggestion and a comment.

100 TPs sounds like a lot, but that wouldnt be enough to restore your golem 5 times. Hell, until I figure out a better spot it would prolly take me 2 weeks or better to get 100. But as a rookie in the field, that could be me just sucking as someone else could make 100 in 10 minutes, who knows ill figure it out eventually =).

If a system is put in place that gives some protection against crashes, or other non player flault, perhaps to take away some of the perk of being able to restore there is some negatives applied with it such as taking 50% TNL of the golems XP, or have the loss increase as the restores increase, for example on your 5th restore it could lose 100% TNL, or any T4 golem lose this much. This would prevent any t4 golem restores, but not make it impossible to get back.

You could also have the golems string start to indicate that its in poor shape from being reconstructed.

Hell, there are a lot of negatives you could put in place which would make the good still good, but not quiet as appealing. Ill list a few that just came to mind, keep in mind these could be serious and done at different intervals of golem replacements:

Loss of innate sanc.
Loss of some other abilities.
Double cost of TPs
3rd+ recover comes with a 10% chance for total failure (some or all TPs still consumed)
Loss of Golem XP
Loss of a Level, or -100% XP TNL

There are always options available to help negate the pure bonus of being able to restore your golem, and like removing the innate sanc, things like that will help the golems die faster to and then be unrestorable.

Offline erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 10:52:10 am »
What about you EMET your Golem, I save that it's tier2. Then drop it again and quit or go linkless. You come back, buy a new Golem and when you drop, it returns tier2 even if you lost it. This way everybody will have tier4 Golems wandering around and nobody will lose them anymore. It's not meant to be like that. It's meant to be hard to get a Golem to tier4 since they are very strong especially the bodyguard type, and once you got it tier4 it'll help you a lot in the game but you have also to face some risks and lose it.

Though I think that for testing losing your leveled Golem's because of bugs might result over-annoying. I will make them SAVE next week till we're in the testing grace period, but the feature will return to what it is now once the golems will officially be in the game. Unless you convince Molly to make them perzable as you wish... so once you leveled it to tier4 the game is over.

Well, put it this way, the only way a player can lose a golem is through crashes.

So a lucky player would only spend some TP, and get a T4 golem eventually too.

However, why not have golems DEDUCT TPs for a period of time the player has them? Say, if I want to keep a T4 golem, it'll eat up TPs at maybe a rate of 30-40 TP per hour golem is ACTIVE. Each drop / emet will start at 1 minute, so people who try to 'cheat' by dropping / picking up when mob is dead will add up the time faster than they would have had if they didn't. Corresponding rates of 'eating' could be done at lower tiers.

Lastly..I don't think T4 golems would be used ALL the time by players. They may turn out to be unbalanced or not perhaps, but they probably might not pay off in the XP / damage ratio.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:56:57 am by erwin »

Offline Grish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 11:11:02 am »
True, but in the EQ/Gold farming game they would be insane. You add those with a couple fire elementals and you got yourself a pretty lethal trio.

I dunno about 30-40 tps per hour, thats getting kind of steep for a tight wad like me. Hell, if you said 30-40 just to purchase it, I would call you crazy.

But, another note you can lose them if you die (i think). I died today and my golem instantly quit following and then it said he uses the last of his energy and heals me. So either my golem died, or it was a result of my death. Given the circumstances, both are pretty likely. However, if it was a result of the golems death I have to wonder if the feature is working as intended, or if my life should have been saved.

The circumstances were:
a HUGE encircle from a warrior in RIP to the tune of 2500 damage just to me, which was a fatal blow.
Erwin said the damage could have been shared.
Now, if that damage was shared and applied to us both and killed us both (which would have been 9k damage)
My golem could/should have healed me on HIS death blow, thus saving my own life granting me a chance to flee.
However, the death blows were applied at the same time, resulting in his heal being wasted.

If this is working as intended, I would like to see the shared damage be applied to pets first, which actually could make golems save lives.

Offline Iwku

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 03:19:03 am »
I wish these golems had stock options. I'd invest. I'm spending a fortune on them.

But, another note you can lose them if you die (i think). I died today and my golem instantly quit following and then it said he uses the last of his energy and heals me. So either my golem died, or it was a result of my death. Given the circumstances, both are pretty likely. However, if it was a result of the golems death I have to wonder if the feature is working as intended, or if my life should have been saved.

I died two weird deaths tonight with the same mob (warrior in RIP). From 'con'ing the mob it should have been an easy kill but bang suddenly near the end of the fight with 2625 hp (my max is around 3500), you're dead! in one shot. The first time my golem died. It did try to save me by giving healing points. The second time I died....and my golem lived!! It followed me to the morgue. It was so unexpected. I was thrilled. I actually hugged my golem.  So it seem you can't lose them if you die.

You werent exactly what I meant as active since I might see you once a week if im lucky. I was refering to players such as myself, Rynock, Knecht, Armand and the host of other people with less than 4 remorts under their belt. You do make your point though that TPs are obtainable with some work, so that point is well taken.

If you see me once a week, doesn't mean I play once a week. We play at different times Grish. I'm not that much further ahead than you guys (a few tiers), but I got my TP's ages ago when I was lower level and looking for something different to do. Maybe you and Rynock and Knecht and Armand are into quick levelling and haven't even given the trade point system a good try. Just don't make assumptions that I am not active because I am not in your immediate time zone world.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:35:22 am by Iwku »

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 04:53:41 am »

The circumstances were:
a HUGE encircle from a warrior in RIP to the tune of 2500 damage just to me, which was a fatal blow.

The reason you lost the Golem is because it died, not because you died yourself.
They are set to heal their master upon death, bur if you die at the same instant, the heal would come to late. This is such a rare event that it hardly would be worth the trouble trying to make the script adjust to it.

You ARE supposed to lose your Golems eventually, and I definitely wouldn't like to see any infinite Golems. As it is, you can lose your Golems due to 4 reasons:

1. You forgot to emet it before you quit (happens more often than you'd think)
2. It died (so be sure to keep it healthy)
3. You lost your link and didn't regain it before the graze time of the Golem remaining in the game expired
4. The Mud crashed

Crashes suck, but under normal circumstances the mud crashes very seldom. If your server has a tendency to drop you, make it a habit to emet the Golem as soon as you aren't using it actively, and above all, never go afk with it on the floor.

And count on that other players will go after your Golem sooner or later. (By the way, we'll have to check the PK aspect is safe. We don't want non PKs to be dragged into a fight because their Golem attacked, or was attacked by, another player).

Finally, about TPs: these are very easy to get, if you just take the trouble to check out the options offered in the Traders' Office south of Recall. Farming and Gardening are actually the slowest and most boring ways to collect them. You don't even need a high level char to go to the Aegean islands. provided you use a ship, or stay in shallow water. And who know, you might even find something interesting, if you leave Recall and Olde Yorke some times. :p

Offline Grish

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 10:30:30 am »

LOL, YOU WILL GIVE ME TP!

Offline Iwku

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 12:33:03 am »
Lost another one. Not sure why?

My golem was activated and I was on my way back to RIP. My golem was there inside the old shack and it was there when I gave the ticket to the captain. I didn't look if it was there on the boat trip but when I reached the other side of the ocean the golem was not there.

It was no longer in my group. I did not get a message it died, and I did not get back in my  inventory any of the equipment it had. It was in perfect or almost perfect health. I retraced my steps ... but no golem waiting at the dock.

Maybe I was suppose to deactivate it to go on the boat, but it went through portals with me, so why not a boat. And it still should have been at the dock. I can't figure out why this happened?

Actually just noticed, all of the equipment I had given it was on the ground on the Shore of the Mainland where I got off the boat.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 12:38:02 am by Iwku »