Author Topic: Race Balancing And Character Balancing  (Read 43032 times)

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Race Balancing And Character Balancing
« on: February 23, 2008, 11:57:13 pm »
Currently the race bonuses are slightly uneven I think. +10% damage is kinda better than +10 attack.. If we assume 10% damage = 10 points, 10 attack = 1 point (etc for evasion, and negatives) then here's how the races play out:

Centaur = 11 points + 100 speed
Dwarf = -5 points + 100 speed
Elf = -2.5 points + 150 speed
Faun = -16.5 points + 100 speed
Gringo = 0 points + 100 speed
Indian = 0 points + 100 speed
Martian = 0.5 points + 180 speed
Spacewolf = -15 points + 110 speed

Quite a difference you'll find..

Also, the character bonus subskills are kinda uneven aswel. +15% damage is by far the best, and you're only crippling your own character by choosing anything else..

That's all, let's hear what everyone has to say.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Race Balancing And Character Balancing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 12:04:09 am »
Also, I remember from the old forum we talked about equipment balancing. I'm not sure if that ever got fixed but yeah.. Some races were better off eqwise.

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
  • Has delusions of adequacy
    • View Profile
    • Multiplayer Online Game Anyone?
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 01:58:02 am »
I think centaurs got more bonuses because they couldn't mount, since mounting gave such a huge advantage to most people, we tried to supe up the Centaur a bit.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 02:11:12 am »
But.. Centaurs ARE mounted. That's a bonus.. Not needing to buy a mount, not being joustable.. etc.

Offline nanukimo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 02:30:28 am »
I think equipment slots need to be looked at. And if your gonna use that excuse for centaurs then the other remaining classes should least be checked to make sure they are balanced. If I remember right I could be wrong Spacewolves got the less damroll out of any class and from virisin chart they get the less there to.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 03:32:41 am »
Diandra and me have been going through the top equipment, plus all the perzes made from it.

Next step is that all multiple wear_locs will be restricted, so that you only can wear one of the same item, regardless of whether it is perzed or not.

While this will take care of some of the race issues, (which were mostly founded on double wear_locs), I'm sure that some of you will be dissatisfied with the change. There will be compensations however. With the double wear_loc issue out of the way, more items can be set free for perzing. And those of you that have the same item perzed twice will of course get a free replacement for one of them.

Offline nanukimo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 04:01:57 am »
Ha I actually like that idea. It doesn't bother me for the fact I only wear one piece of double equipment and I don't mind switching it out.

but where do equipment with old stats fall under? Do they fall under a grandfather clause?

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 07:21:27 pm »
Fizban, can you or Thotter update the code so that builders can give a list of vnums to an object that the object can't be worn with?

As in:
add a new vector called cant_wear_with to the object struct, of type obj_vnum.
Update the object OLC so that you get the menus and such that you can add vnums into the new variable.
Update the object save and load routine so that the values save and load.
and in act.item.c file, for equipping items, make it check the item you are about to wear that it can be worn with everything that is already being worn, and that everything being worn can be worn with the thing you are checking.

This will make diandra and molly's job of the no duplicate script much much easier and flexible.

It will also easily allow future builders to make equipment that might be better then normal equipment, but can't be work in conjunction with other listed items.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 06:01:27 pm »
Actually the solution we have settled on now, with just adding the vnum to the alias list of the original object and all its perzes, is pretty simple to adapt to the already existing scripts. It's also easy to adapt to all future top equipment, as a general Building policy.

So as much as I appreciate the thought, I don't see this code addition as high priority, especially since we are almost through with the change already. :)

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
  • Fizban, the Mangy Wizard
    • MSN Messenger - Fizban1216@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Fizban1216
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 06:51:07 pm »
Actually the solution we have settled on now, with just adding the vnum to the alias list of the original object and all its perzes,

Well, that doesn't seem to change much at all technically except allowing you to: 'where 1901'

As now:

Code: [Select]
eval ring %actor.eq(3)%
eval ring2 %actor.eq(4)%
if %ring.name% /= 1901|| %ring2.name% /= 1901
  return 0
  %send% %actor% You cannot wear two of these at a time.
end

is possible, but still not actually any better than:

eval ring %actor.eq(3)%
eval ring2 %actor.eq(4)%
if %ring.vnum(1901)% || %ring2.vnum(1901)%
  return 0
end

which is actually shorter.

Offline Mordecai

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 08:31:36 pm »
is possible, but still not actually any better than:

eval ring %actor.eq(3)%
eval ring2 %actor.eq(4)%
if %ring.vnum(1901)% || %ring2.vnum(1901)%
  return 0
end

which is actually shorter.

Yeah, but can't be applied to perzes.

A perze (personalised item) is an item that is made identicle to another item in the game, but has different cosmetic changes.
Players buy them using tokens.

What they want to restrict is that a player uses both the perzed item and the unperzed item at the same time, since both items will have a different vnum, but are meant to be for the player, the same item.

Offline nanukimo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 09:18:55 pm »
What about raising the max cha?? Make like 200 cha how 100 cha is now. Its too easy to find cha equipment.

Offline Fizban

• Maniacal Scroder!
  • Administrator
  • Fizban, the Mangy Wizard
    • MSN Messenger - Fizban1216@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Fizban1216
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 12:06:09 am »
What they want to restrict is that a player uses both the perzed item and the unperzed item at the same time, since both items will have a different vnum, but are meant to be for the player, the same item.

Nod, just not sure how exactly having their vnum in the name allows you to do anything that checking for vnum didn't.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 02:56:32 am »
Another thing that I remember being an issue in the old Forums has been changed:

The braided tussles in Seti tomb can now be worn by all races with a tail.
They still only load for centaurs though, I am not sure if that should be changed, since the other races might prefer the sandals.

The only reason why the tail ornament was created in the first place was because Centaurs have double feet. With this new double wear_loc restrict this is no longer a problem.
You will not be able either to wear the sandals twice, or to wear the tussles together with the sandals.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 03:24:05 am »
On the other forum we went through the best sets of eq for all classes.. To properly balance eq we'll have to do it again to make sure we get it right. But the difference between 90 and 95 damroll isn't as much as the difference between the current race benefits.. So I think that's what we should worry about first.