Author Topic: A Few Random Ideas  (Read 6989 times)

Offline jae

• View Profile
A Few Random Ideas
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:36:01 am »
Just some random ideas I'm throwing out there for discussion:

1. Instead of "...description" after objects, maybe just a simple one or two-word tag in parenthesis.   I just think it looks neater.  For example, instead of this:

<worn around neck>     an ornate cross on a simple chain ...it has a holy aura
<worn about body>      Ragged cloak
<worn on body>         the shining armor of Odysseus ...it has a holy aura ...it is glowing with an inner light
<worn on right wrist>  the emerald bracelet of Cyrene  ...it has a holy aura
<worn on left wrist>   Laser wrist gauntlet ...it is invisible ...it has a holy aura ...it is glowing with an inner light

You'd have this:

<worn around neck>     an ornate cross on a simple chain (holy aura)
<worn about body>      Ragged cloak
<worn on body>         the shining armor of Odysseus (holy aura) (glowing)
<worn on right wrist>  the emerald bracelet of Cyrene  (holy aura)
<worn on left wrist>   Laser wrist gauntlet (invisible) (holy aura) (glowing)

2. An extended autoexit toggle command.  I don't know about anyone else, but I find myself typing 'exits' nearly every time I enter a room.  Now, I could probably just set up a trigger to show them automatically, but I thought maybe I'm not alone in my habits and others may benefit from such a toggle as well.

3. (This one might be a little out there, but whatever.)  What if the shoes your character wears has an affect on how well you kick?

Feel free to discuss, debunk, or completely ignore.

Jae

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
Re: A Few Random Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:50:08 am »
Yes on the description things. I think glowing, blessed stuff should show us as you said.

Yes on the exits bit. I DO think it is silly that doors dont show up on the autoexits, but DOES show up if you type exits.

I think spells/affects do effect kick, btu I'm not entirely sure.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline jae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 12:30:58 pm »
Let me clarify my third idea regarding shoes affecting kick.  First off, I must admit that I know next to nothing about coding, so I am not sure if what I am suggesting is plausible, nor do I possess the jargon to describe my idea in the correct terms.  However, I will do my best.

So, let's say you have 4 "levels" of shoes.

Level 1 = sandals, moccasins, etc. - kick does 25% of your potential kick damage
Level 2 = sneakers, dress shoes, etc - kick does 50% of your potential kick damage
Level 3 = cowboy boots, heels, etc. - kick does 75% of your potential kick damage
Level 4 = spurs, steel-toed boots, etc. - kick damages at maximum potential

Obviously, this would take a lot of work because it would require somebody to decide on and apply a level to all of the already existing shoes in the game, but hey, it's just an idea.

Jae

Offline Britnoth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:19:31 am »
It should not need any changes outside the code dealing with the kick skill, if the bonus works on a stat pre-existing on all footwear.

Your bonuses scale with how 'tough' the boots are, well we already have that, the AC of the item...

Give a bonus of say, 10% extra damage per point of AC of the item worn on the feet slot (or front feet for centaurs). No editing of existing objects needed.

Just a thought.
"I don't like having rules that cannot be enforced, that just makes people lose respect for all rules." - Molly