Would You Support A PWipe?

Yes
16 (48.5%)
No
12 (36.4%)
Depends
5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Player Wipe (PWipe)  (Read 109202 times)

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Player Wipe (PWipe)
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2009, 09:43:26 pm »
As previously mentioned in game, I'm calling your bluff and don't think you could actually leave. You love us all too much.  :-*

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2009, 10:50:44 pm »
We will miss you Natalya. I wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors. May peace be with you, and always with you. Time to cry now.
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2009, 10:54:09 pm »
 :'(

Offline Once

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2009, 04:28:06 am »
A question for you guys, how many of you would agree to a pwipe if you were allowed to keep 1 house and a limited number of perzes?

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2009, 07:10:20 am »
But let's say my only house has 50 rooms, and is tier 3to support my spaceship and mount which are all part of my house. And do all my servants and pets come with too? All part of my house? Containers? Furniture?

Offline Kiyoshi Katsuro

• AOL Instant Messenger - Lokivash
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2009, 02:15:54 pm »
If you start saying well, we can save this and that and a few other things... Won't everyone start complaining that oh hey, well why can't we keep this if we're keeping this? I just see to much bitching either way.

-Kiyo-
Allons-y!

Offline kitolani

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2009, 03:18:55 pm »
I wouldn't like to lose anything, as I have put a lot of time and imagination into it, but as the discussion continues to draw out, I'm caring less and less either way.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2009, 03:30:31 pm »
I'm all for Asmo's idea as he stated before. There shouldn't be a single loss of anything. After all of that hard work that so many of us have put into the game, especially people like Jason, this would really be more of a punishment than anything. I don't know about you guys, but even for me it is hard to get started again from ground zero on your main character that you have put so much time into.

If you want player power balance, then I am all for separating us uber eqed oldbies from everyone else. Stick us in the Gladiator arena for a certain amount of months. Not only is our hard work saved (including perzes, houses, mounts, servants, awards, tokens, and gold), but we are forced to make alts and play with the new  system that way.

I just can't see why a pwipe would be good if it can totally be avoided. This is the best way to do that. I mean, with the skill trees coming in it's designed for you to make multiple alts anyhow so you can test each branch away and take completely different paths. Let's the oldbies convert over to the trees, and send them off to endlessly PK each other in the arena. Simple as that. Don't penalize us.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2009, 03:49:18 pm »
You used Jason as an example? :-[

You guys are all just lazy, locking yourselves away for 6 months is such a crazy idea I don't understand how you all actually like it. That sounds more like punishment to me. Other than Kitolani who is about the only one really close to convincing me a pwipe isn't a good idea, you guys are all contradicting yourselves..

"I don't know about you guys, but even for me it is hard to get started again from ground zero on your main character that you have put so much time into"

=/=

"but we are forced to make alts and play with the new  system that way."

You all want to start alts and play the new system anyway, but you're all still so attached to your names that you can't think strait about this. The only reason I see wanting to keep a main character if you're going to play as an alt anyway is to suit up your alt with spare stuff from your house, but if you plan on keeping your old characters locked away anyway that seems impossible, and I don't see how if you play with an alt for 6 months you wouldn't be able to get to exactly the point you're at now, in which case all that would end up happening is you'd suddenly have your name changed..  ???

I can see so many reasons why a pwipe would be good: it'd force lazy oldbies to actually do something again, and if not, what's the worst that will happen..? They'll sit at recall more? And don't you even mention PK and arena in the same sentence Toch, PK is not arena and sending oldbies off to an arena zone to spar for 6 months is not PK.. That's 'who has the most hp and hits the hardest'. Plus it's a great way of being able to set the 4d economy right and a great way to revive some competition in the mud. The mud currently is stagnating badly, no one can argue that. If we have 2 people out of recall it's a celebration. Like I said earlier, you all plan on playing alts anyway so you seem to like the idea of competition, you're all just afraid you can't remember how to do all the quests and you want to know for sure that if after 6 months you really suck still, you've got a free ticket to awesomeness. Hell, I know I can't remember how to do 90% of the quests but fuck.. This mud needs to be rejuvenated and a huge code change which seems to be encompassing more and more changes by the day would be a great time to start afresh. With the amount of different gameplay involved, it practically will be a new game being played in the same world with the same people.

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2009, 04:47:16 pm »
i bet you got your hopes up i wrote something worthwhile...

stop refreshing the forum every 10 seconds viri
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 04:50:45 pm by Asmodeus »

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2009, 04:53:15 pm »
You bastard. I will destroy you for this.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2009, 02:42:34 am »
I'm definitely on the fence on this, so I haven't voted yet. Just listening to the arguments, and actually surprised and delighted that some of the players, who'd actually lose the most in a pwipe, would give that up willingly for the benefit of a mud.

But I have to say this: The idea of some oldbies being allowed to keep all their stuff and then be locked away in the arena för 6 months is about the dumbest thing I ever heard. How on earth would that solve anything at all? It would just keep the imbalance and inflation, so that new players feel that they can never reach what the oldbies have collected during several years. It would create an aristocrasy and a peasantry - which I suspect is exactly why you want it. And on top of this it would make for an extremely boring 6 months for the oldbies, since you'd even be banned from your beloved Recall. Just imagine the withdrawal symptoms.

And who's to decide which players are 'awesome' enough to be selected for this honour?
Me? No way, I hate the entire idea.
Yourselves? By what method? Majority vote? Highest number of remorts? tokens? houses? Who sits at Recall the most? Who actually still PLAYS the game?

It's a terrible idea, and something that I'd definitely wouldn't support, if a pwipe acually happens.

As for the pwipe itself, I am on the fence, but since I actually started out being instinctively and totally against it, I am beginning to recognise the vast advantages that it could bring.
I can understand how it would be agonising to lose all you'd worked for in one stroke.
On the other hand a full pwipe would mean a unique chance to rejuvenate the mud, to restore some balance to it and stop the stagnation. But only a full wipe would achieve that. Not if we allow some players to keep their stuff and continue squatting at Recall, while all the rest have to work their way up.

So, at least in my opinion, it's either all or nothing.

Keep the discussion up, you might actually convince me one way or another.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2009, 03:03:51 am »
Totally agree with Molly.

Offline Hayato

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2009, 04:05:39 am »
I've got a genious solution.  Make a new port where all the new content goes, discontinue support on the old port, allow people to play both simultaneously.  (Also don't call it a pwipe, that way people would totally be tricked into playing on a new system)

I think people are just scared they'll lose the legacy or footprint they have in the mud, which is fine, because not everyone is eager to replay the mud again.  I'm sure more than a few people never seriously picked up the mud during the old code change, and many of them have either been forgotten or left as only a statue in the HoF.  If their character is still intact somewhere, even if they have to play on a new base, I think they'll be okay.
aka graham

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2009, 07:00:04 am »
If the second server goes unsupported and unmonitored, would that mean people are there just free to do whatever they want? I could see it being taken advantage of... Hay's idea that is. Oooo, no imms are around, time to abuse bugs and exploits... anyone else see that?
Also I  agree with Molly :)