Author Topic: Award Points  (Read 37492 times)

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Award Points
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 05:05:49 pm »
I think most RP rewards have been made redundant by other flags that do not actually require the abilities some of them have, but have them anyway for some reason.

Pretitle, afars, poofin/poofouts.. There is nothing else to even buy with award points really and for some reason Helpers get afars and probably the other two too, and Hero's get all three.. Seems pretty pointless for Helpers or Hero's to get any of them, and all it does is detract from the rewards RPers get.

I think it'd be nifty if restringing items was impossible for anyone except those that had earned the required amount of award points too. So good RPers could have their own little economy based around RP by selling restrings to people.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 05:12:59 pm »
Interesting idea...  *rip rip*  *tear tear*  *shred shred*  *Kvetch forms it into a little pile for a kitty box...*  ;)  I'm done.

Oh, wait.. not quite yet.
Knowing how much trouble I get into when I restring items, I'm not sure I'd want to put that on the shoulders of mortals unless the restring was made much MUCH easier (ie: you can't restring something unless you have the item in your hands - personally I'm tired of running around the mud restringing things back to what they were because of a silly little mistake).  Of course, that would require rpers to be able to either load the rp gear or buy the item from a shop and then restring it.

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 05:15:31 pm »
Heroes were made for other resasons, and have nothing really to do with RP, so they really should have award points either. Anyone, including Heroes, who wants to take some active interest in RP, can just apply for a RPL.

Molly do you mean should or should not? If should not I can remove Hero's from giving out award points.

Prometheus

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 05:17:14 pm »
You mean Heroes seriously can give out RP awards?  I thought someone was making that up because it made absolutely no sense to me.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 05:20:28 pm »
If you remove that ability from Hero's, can you remove the RP rewards they have too? Hero's are completely unrelated to RP.

Also yeah that's how I see it Kvetch.. help rprewards or whatever it is already shows we're meant to be able to restring items after a certain amount of award points, it's just that no one has ever acquired enough for anyone to consider it yet. I think it'd be cool though if people with enough award points could just type like: restring <item> <newname>, might cost some gold or something for the player so there would always have to be some cost to people wanting to have their items restrung, and whoever is doing the restringing could try and make a profit if they wished.

Offline Prometheus

• the bang your head against the wall coder.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 05:22:15 pm »
If you remove that ability from Hero's, can you remove the RP rewards they have too? Hero's are completely unrelated to RP.

That is up to Molly. But it is easy enough to set award points but again that is for Molly to say yes or no too.

Prometheus

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 05:23:17 pm »
I don't think giving everyone the power to restring their own items is necessarily the best idea, Viri

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 05:27:26 pm »
Not everyone... We've had award points for how long now and still no one has enough to restring items. And restrings arn't the same as perzes.. They only actually cost like 3 million coins or something currently, and they're not reloadable if lost or anything.

Although I can actually see some potential risks involved, they're the same risks I can see currently with just being charged 3 million coins by your nearest imm.

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 05:29:18 pm »
it says you get a restrung item, not that you can do it yourself

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 05:30:14 pm »
Oh.. Just learning now apparently Thotter changed that reward from 1000 points = restring items yourself to 100 points = get 1 restring item.

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 09:57:56 am »
Just gonna throw it out there, i think everyone should lose award points and rewards with the pwipe if one occurs.  If we're starting over with everything else, may as well be with this as well.  That way award point inflation (*cough*virisin*cough*200 points*cough*) will go away as well.  This creates incentive again to earn them, especially if we come up with some cool new awards (granted, there still is incentive for those who havnt gotten that many points, but hopefully when everything is worked out, and with some active RPLs and such, RP will become more common)

Also, if we agree we should wipe points, we could possibly start keeping track right now of who gets what, so they can just get points from here on out added to their balance when everything gets reset.  In fact, you could probably even reset everyone's now if you wanted, since none of the changes are relying on award points.  That way everyone could see where they actually are.

Idea... maybe RPLs can award themselves as well as others points for participating in RP (as mentioned before, even though RPLs can award, it is logged by system, AND we' should still be noting Molly or whoever about using award command, so it can be kept in balance and not abused), but their award for being RPL include starting with pretitle/entrance and exit descs, and incentives are the possibility to earn maybe switch, maybe restring, or whatever rpl-like commands that could cause them to be better rpls.  that way they have some perks to start for earning their position, but some ways to get them to keep doing their job and some things to earn that will only make RP better in 4d.  they more/better they do, the more they can earn.  just like players... more rp=more rewards, just different awards for the title.

If pretitles are strictly rp, i have to agree with viri to not just give them to heroes (along with whatever rp rewards).  If they're not, just let them have it.  However, i still think they should not be able to use award.

Time to fly home!

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 03:32:14 pm »
*cough400pointscough*

:P

I'd be down to have my points wiped.

Offline Kvetch

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 04:59:14 pm »
Seriously, if we're not giving out the HERO flag anymore and there is a pwipe there shouldn't be any Hero's to worry about it.  My 2 cents on that.

Another 2 cent idea: what about having RPers be able to set their own brag for when they kill something above a certain level.  This could also be used for PKers when they kill another PKer.  I guess the double idea makes it a 4 cent idea.  Anyone got any change?

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2009, 05:34:51 am »
Heroes were made for other resasons, and have nothing really to do with RP, so they really should have award points either. Anyone, including Heroes, who wants to take some active interest in RP, can just apply for a RPL.

Molly do you mean should or should not? If should not I can remove Hero's from giving out award points.

Prometheus

OOps, that was a bad typo. I meant SHOULD NOT.

But don't remove it just yet, Prometheus, let's discuss what the different categories Heroes, Helpers and Roleplayleaders SHOULD have first.

1. What are their tasks, what should their tasks be?
2. What commands do they NEED, what would be logical?
3. What rewards would be appreciated and appropriate?
4. How do we prevent abuse of the commands, either than just nuking the offender's status?

Input is welcome, here's my own opinion:

In my opinion Heroes should NOT have Award abilities. (See the above motivation about RP).
On a side note, Heroes have been stripped of most abilities, because some Heroes, who apparently never should have got the title, abused them. As a consequence Heroes are now more or less obsolete.
We have discussed getting rid of the Hero title altogether. Another way to go would be to restore some of the old abilities, but monitor them more closely (logged commands) and be vary careful before appointing any new heroes.

I don't see why either Heroes, Helpers or RPLs should have the afar command really.
They don't need it, it doesn't really do anything, and it can be really annoying, when abused.
It's a sort of silly command really, that is far from IC, so a serious roleplayer wouldn't even want to use it.

These things were obviously meant as some kind of reward, but should that really be necessary?
Let's focus on what the different categories NEED to do their work instead.

Input, anyone?

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2009, 05:37:03 am »
I think it'd be cool though if people with enough award points could just type like: restring <item> <newname>, might cost some gold or something for the player so there would always have to be some cost to people wanting to have their items restrung, and whoever is doing the restringing could try and make a profit if they wished.

Making anyone but experienced imms able to restring is a terrible idea.
I supppose only someone who has acually used that command, (like Kvetch for instance),  would know how easy it is to screw things up, and accidently restring a totally unrelated item than the one you wanted to change.
Plus that with an imm responsible for it, we can at least weed out the most terrible attempts of uber coolness that would ensue if it was set free.