Author Topic: Award Points  (Read 37481 times)

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Award Points
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:33:04 am »
I dislike award points and they're generally handed out because an imm or hero or something is friends with a player and is bored. I think they should be removed because everyone seems to have pretitle now anyway.

Sarias

Re: Award Points
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:30:48 pm »
I totally disagree with this. I love award points and spent years rping to get the 85 I have. And I'm still barely close to a pretitle. Some of us still rp here, and award points are the only thing that are keeping the newbies (like darvus) wanting to rp.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:34:21 pm »
I have 405 award points for doing fuck all... I'm not an RPer, I see no reason why you guys that actually do RP shouldn't just have things like pretitle because it helps your RP.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 06:37:06 pm »
well, it was a ncie system but certain imms (morde and thotter) refused to do anything more with them.... especially thotter.
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Sarias

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 06:50:00 pm »
I have 405 award points for doing fuck all... I'm not an RPer, I see no reason why you guys that actually do RP shouldn't just have things like pretitle because it helps your RP.

Well that's you. I think people that got them for doing nothing shouldn't have them at all. :P I still like the idea of making people rp for rewards because it encourages people to do stuff (like actually rp). If we give things like pretitle away for free that wouldn't be any fun.

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 06:58:29 pm »
If you want some award points, you can always send me a recent RP log, or ask me to RP with you, and I'd be glad to provide you with some based on what occured

Sarias

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 07:04:27 pm »
or ask me to RP with you

I'm totally going to hold you to that. XD I thought I'd never get someone besides darvus to rp with me. :P Not that he's not a good rper. He's a pretty good one. ^_^
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:12:32 pm by Sarias »

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 07:19:02 am »
What of LH's idea a few threads ago on getting rid of pretitles and making pretitles awards for doing certain achievements. Like for killing 1 earning 1 billion gold you get Greedy title, or Becoming a Knight you get Sir, or doing something is star wars, Sith, Padawan. The list can go on forever. You know you'd want to try and get all the titles ;)
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 09:29:38 am »
I think award points basically are a good idea, but as with so many other things it only takes someone misusing them - or not using them at all - for the idea not to work out. In our case I think the lack of active RP leaders who actually initiate sessions with others is a bigger problem than a few award points possibly being given out to undeserving recipients - although ideally that shouldn't happen either, of course.

Anyhow, we may not have many active roleplayers at present, but who is to say that won't change in the future? Perhaps we could rework the award system a bit, but I'd rather keep the Award points in the hope that they'll be used more. In my mind carrots are always better than whips when it comes to persuade people to do something.

And Sarias, remind me to send some Award points your way next time I see you on line , for those entertaining cronicles of yours. :)

As for Lionheart's idea about pretitles or titles reflecting different kinds of achievement, I still think that is an excellent idea, and something that I am willing to put some work into myself to facilitate, the day Anubis gets the time to code it in.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 06:18:23 am by Molly »

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 09:33:21 am »
As to not award the same person for the same thing twice. We should note hero, rpl, and imm every time we give out any award points, and the reason why. If one gives them out, they best have a reason, and if they get caught, shame shame. Fair?

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 09:38:09 am »
Also, perhaps, develop or more in place set of guidelines on how many to give out. Say 5 AP for RP sessions per 100 lines (edited)? Could always not make it RP only and give AP for global evenys as spoken about in another thread. Change up the awards from AP's and instead of gettings stuff at certain markers, it'll be a currency. A currency for cosmetic type upgrades. Maybe at first not allow people to put color in title, but you can buy that privilege. And if pretitles would be an achievement type based thing that would need to be gotten rid of in the fact you can put anything you want there.  Also, maybe buy the ability to change the way your race looks in who, or your class, even though by default you will be what you are, that way if Toch really RP's he could make his race be Drw, for Drow like he really wants. Like?

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 09:48:08 am »
Just wanted to mention unless you come up with guidelines for how to post rp logs, its hard to say every x amount of lines gets z award points.  There are logs that are posted of everything seen minus prompts, there are logs posted like Sarias has been posting, condensed into an actual story, and im sure there are other ways.  It probably should be based more on the quality of the rp and how much each character participates in it (possibly a lengthy session could add a bit onto the points), and maybe each player can earn a max amount of points for each session depending on those two (or three) criteria (obviously this is subjective to the one giving out the award points).  

Example:  If you have 3 people role playing (Myself, Xeriuth, and Virisin), and Xeriuth and I are coming up with an elaborate story line and interacting well, and Virisin just in the same room agreeing to everything being said and throwing in useless comments, I would probably only want to give Virisin (if a max is 6?) 2 points, like a participation prize.  But if the other two were doing an amazing job, coming up with a great story, etc, id want to give them each the full amount of points.

I'm trying to get back in the RPL mode again... ive already given 5 points to Sarias, and plan to give the same to Darvus next time i see him, and will continue my RPL duties.  Perhaps planning another Riddler event may be in the works.

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 10:07:39 am »
Perhaps max of 10 points per RP session. Per person involved, lets say it was the three and viri farted once during it, he'd get 1 point. While the other two were quite awesome they could each get a full 10. Something like that?

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 10:09:44 am »
Yeah, thats the idea... though i dont know, 10 seems a bit much unless its a pretty epic session, and if it involves virisin, its probably not that epic

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 10:13:47 am »
But then again, what should awards be?