Author Topic: Avatars  (Read 18847 times)

Offline horus

• View Profile
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:55:55 pm »
Just so we can have an information overload...

I am tending towards a system whereby we replace all remorts and tiers with a simple level 100 simple. There isnt really a place for remorts etc when we have skill trees. So in place of remorts, we now have levels 101 - 110, which are basically mortals that are so powerful, they have become demi-gods themselves. The number of demi-gods is based on a pyramid structure, where there is unlimited number of 101s, but right at the top, there are only a few that can be 110. So, if those slots are filled up, then the 109s need to challenge the 110s to replace their position. Obviously, you are only allowed ONE character (this means no ALTS allowed) above 105.

So, I am now asking for ideas on what special powers these demi-gods should have. Remember, they are not gods, so dont bother asking for immy powers :p

A simple example I can think of is, 105s now do not require sustenance, so can go without food and water. Level 110 could get a percentage spell resistance - say 10% innate.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Avatars
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 05:03:45 pm »
Go without food and water.. SO WE CAN'T GET DRUNK ANYMORE?!?

I need to think about avatars first before I comment. Can't decide if I like the idea.

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 05:05:32 pm »
Oh I like a 100 level system though.

Offline Asmodeus

• Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 05:09:09 pm »
Create a room called "Immortals Stomach", and any item an imm eats gets transfered there, and whatever level is allowed access to whatever was eaten. :D

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 05:50:11 pm »
If you have to challenge for these positions, it seems to me like these positions are essentially pvp? Will these battles be in arena type places, or fight to the death, winner gains the spoils. Idea would be to have a unique wear loc for avatar item. The item makes you the level, so there is one item, sort of like BBV that makes you 110, and only 1 or 2 of them in the game. So on and so forth down to 101. Now these advantages shouldn't be way overpowering so the individual isn't like king supreme and pk's people in 2 seconds...
Snazzy Signature Block Goes Here

Offline Virisin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:55:27 pm »
I'm king supreme anyway and I PK people in under 2 seconds.  8)

Offline horus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 12:51:19 am »
It will be PvP in arena type battle, so no looting etc. However, the loser will get their xp lowered to the previous level.

Unique eq slots is a consideration for avatars. Thats the type of ideas I am looking for.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 01:53:15 am »
could I get some more information about lvls 101-109? are there slot limits to those as well? if so, will the work on a descending scale like for example:

109 = 1 slot
108 = 2 slots
107 = 3 slots
106 = 4 slots
105 = 5 slots
101-104 = unlimited

-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!

Offline horus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 05:24:37 am »
I know my age has addled my brain so I forgot to mention that each avatar level can only be achieved once you reach the xp required and then you have to do an immortal controlled quest. And of course, the third requirement for levels 105+ is to challenge an existing avatar of that level.

The numbers of each avatar level needs more thought, but I am just going to throw some rough ones now:-
110 - 3 avatars
109 - 6 avatars
108 - 10 avatars
107 - 15 avatars
106 - 20 avatars
105 - 30 avatars
104 and below - unlimited

RPerly, this can be explained by the balance of the pantheons. The greater gods will always be wary about balance, and having mortals becoming almost god-like, they must control the balance of power, and to ensure that these demi-gods do not get so numerous that they may take over (kind of like what the greek gods did to the titans). So because of these limited positions, there will be jostling for places.

Being an avatar is an indication of your mudding prowess, your awesome questing ability, your destructive ability against mobs, and your respect earned amongst your mortal peers, whether that be through your greatness, or through raw might of a pk challenge.

So the powers of 105+ will be significantly better than of those below because of the limited positions.

So who to challenge when you have attained the ability to reach 105? My initial thought was, there should be a ranking system based on pk challenges. If someone wants to be ranked higher, they can challenge the higher ranked player of the same avatar level and this can only occur once per month. The winner then gains one rank, and the lose drops a rank - players cannot challenge two ranks above them, they need to win against the one above them, before challenging the next player.

Any new player ready to reach that level then challenges the lowest ranked player of that level.

The biggest issue with this system are players who disappear for long periods and so other players cannot challenge them. I'm up for any solution to this problem, but one solution could be the absent player temporarily loses a level every several months, and so freeing up that slot for new players, and when they finally do come back, they can then challenge a player from their ORIGINAL level (even if they went down to level 104 from 109) and if they win, they regain their old level. Of course, the absent player goes down to level 104 before it stops, because this is the level that does not require any challenges.

As I said, this is a work in progress, I do not have a neat solution to everything, nor are my ideas firm and concrete on this matter. More research needs to be done, but I think this will add an element of excitement to those that pine for remorts, and have nothing else to do once they achieve everything.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 06:46:03 am »
I like. :)

Especially the part where you have to compete for a limited number of positions.

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 07:05:50 am »
If 105 and up is primarily for pk'rs, I feel that the rewards should be suited towards pk only. But what to give and how to not make them overly powerful is the question.

Offline horus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 07:35:44 am »
105s and above are not primarily for PKers, they are only challenged in arenas. They do not necessarily have to PK.

Offline Xeriuth

• Global Moderator
  • Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 07:40:39 am »
I just went by your line of...
My initial thought was, there should be a ranking system based on pk challenges. If someone wants to be ranked higher, they can challenge the higher ranked player of the same avatar level and this can only occur once per month.
 Typically people who aren't pk'rs or don't like pk'ing won't do things pk related, like arena and such. Nowadays people don't go pk due to the fact it's imbalanced and they could get whooped majorly, however with new system everyone will ideally be on equal footing. I could see pk opening up a bit more then.  So essentially whoever wants to get to high 100's will be pk'rs. Not saying non pk'rs couldnt get it, but that's what it will turn into.

Offline Molly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 12:29:48 pm »
I'm not so sure the Avatar system would be primarily PK geared. Remember that Ruby won the last KOTM tournament, and she is basically a Questor/Explorer, who to my knowledge isn't PK and even dislikes it.  A reward could just as easily be something that facilitates exploring.

Anyhow, the beauty of Anubis' Avatar system is that it provides an open ended game. As it is, most players just stop playing actively and start squatting at Recall once they reach GM. But with the Avatar system, you cannot just rest on your old laurels, if you want to stay in the top position, because someone newer and hungrier will call you out, and you'll need to keep your fighting skills honed to meet the challenges. If you don't accept the challenge you lose the position. If you stop playing altogether, you will automatically lose the position too after a given time.

I think it's a stroke of genius.

Offline Tocharaeh

• View Profile
    • 4Dimensions on Facebook!
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 12:38:38 pm »
I certainly like it. I'm an old hand at PK muds that used this very system, and it was a lot of fun running around and trying to get positions. Pretty sweet,
-Tocharaeh D'Araesth
The Dirty Ol'' Drow that time left behind in fear of obliteration!